You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The Great GNR Message Forum Sell out

James wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

which GNR messageboards are you browsing, from what i've seen most people are as miserable and lame as you are. OH DONT CENSOR ME I HAVE RIGHTS!
fuck me the internet I S VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS.

You obviously don't understand the 'forum culture' that evolved over the years, so probably shouldn't even comment on the matter.

As far as the original post goes, I'll address the fan issue first.

The album is coming out. People are excited. They have legitimate reasons to be excited. Its only natural for that excitement to spill into extreme amounts of optimism that lead to constant radio requests and other things of such nature.

Ever since the post Slash era, the fanbase has always been divided. It was the Slashites on one side and the Axlites on the other. This split went even further when VR was created. Split even more with the various new GNR lineups. A once united GNR fanbase turned into an extreme melting pot consisting of quirky 'factions'. I think the 2001 lineup was on the level of the old band. Not many will agree, and a Bumble fan would say I'm full of shit just as quick as a hardcore Slash fan would. However, I am in the minority in that thinking. Thats just one example of how everyone is split into varying opinions of that nature.

Now, regarding the forums.....

To long time 'forum junkies', my feelings on HTGTH are pretty well known. Used to consider it the best site on the internet. Period. It was an incredible community. Things went downhill in 2006 after the leaks and influx of noobs, and what is commonly referred to as its 'censorship'. I was seriously considering leaving the site and just quitting forums altogether since I don't like cd.com and wasn't a fan of mygnr back then. As I was contemplating this, Brody(who I didn't know at the time) sent me a PM out of the blue about joining his brand new site and getting it off the ground. The site was to be built around no censorship, a tighter feeling community reminiscent of the HTGTH of old, an atmosphere where the members feel its their own community and not built around ulterior motives,etc. . The site saw immediate success and had a pretty loyal following.

As some of you know, that site imploded last year for reasons that don't need to be brought up, and this site became a 'spin-off' of that now defunct site. The site(and its members) never strayed from the original vision. What happens here has no bearing on what happens in other areas of the forum world. Some random admin getting an email from Beta means nothing to me. I don't need personal contact with Axl's housekeepers or hangers on to validate the existence of this site. The present course wont be changed in an effort to get those "perks".

Each site is its own beast. Each site has a different range in size and/or activity. These sites are provided free to anyone who wants to sign up and participate. ALL the admins at these sites(madison, eric, Jarmo, BP, Jaz,etc.) work their asses off to provide what they feel is necessary for their site. While some may disagree with the direction(s) of those sites, it is their choice on how to run their own corner of the web. If you don't like how a certain community is, you adapt to the various changes, or you leave and either find a new 'home', create your own home, or just stop going to forums altogether.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

NickNasty2009 wrote:

people take the internet way too seriously.

opinions are cheap---what isn't is dedicating your private time and money to maintaining a fan site--if said band then let's you into the inner circle-even just a bit on the precondition you maybe make sure there is only nice talk about them--well who wouldn't do it? Jarmo put alot of effort in for a long time--it's his baby and he can do what he wants with it--just as the rest of us can leave if we don't like it (and given i don't post there now, you can infer what i think about the place). But really, these are internet discussion boards and people over-react about their importance.

i'm grateful to anyone who hosts them, and given that they are private undertakings, respect the right for them to set their policies and not accuse them of having lack of integrity. it's time to stop slinging arrows and enjoy the month ahead at whatever forum we choose to post at.

i don't mean this as a shot at you D, glad to have you here....I just am a little tired of the way people are slinging mud at each other when for the most part they've never met in real life. Wrong to make moral judgments about people's character based on internet posts. These are good times to be a fan--and we can all find a community where we can post our thoughts on the actual band and material we care so much about.:rock:

WE HAVE A WINNER!

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Captain Winkler is acting like a fascist, similar to Jarmo actually.

Captain Winkler

James Lofton wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

which GNR messageboards are you browsing, from what i've seen most people are as miserable and lame as you are. OH DONT CENSOR ME I HAVE RIGHTS!
fuck me the internet I S VERY SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Now, regarding the forums.....

To long time 'forum junkies', my feelings on HTGTH are pretty well known. Used to consider it the best site on the internet. Period. It was an incredible community. Things went downhill in 2006 after the leaks and influx of noobs, and what is commonly referred to as its 'censorship'. I was seriously considering leaving the site and just quitting forums altogether since I don't like cd.com and wasn't a fan of mygnr back then. As I was contemplating this, Brody(who I didn't know at the time) sent me a PM out of the blue about joining his brand new site and getting it off the ground. The site was to be built around no censorship, a tighter feeling community reminiscent of the HTGTH of old, an atmosphere where the members feel its their own community and not built around ulterior motives,etc. . The site saw immediate success and had a pretty loyal following.

an epic and painstaking journey to say the least.

lol i am sorry i just couldnt resist 19:peace::peace::peace:

Captain Winkler

tejastech08 wrote:

it seems you are new in the ways of the internet my son, allow me to teach you the rules of the web.

1. its serious
2. take everything literally

they are the most important, you are doing well so far.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

it seems you are new in the ways of the internet my son, allow me to teach you the rules of the web.

1. its serious

Actually no, I'm pretty darn well-versed in how the Intertubes work. Unfortunately for you, I've seen censorship and decided I prefer free speech. Perhaps you should go to HTGTH and take a whiff of Jarmo's asshole. Oh wait, you're already doing that to begin with.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Would it be irony if I deleted this thread?

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I think so. 516

Captain Winkler

tejastech08 wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

1. its serious

Actually no, I'm pretty darn well-versed in how the Intertubes work. Unfortunately for you, I've seen censorship and decided I prefer free speech. Perhaps you should go to HTGTH and take a whiff of Jarmo's asshole. Oh wait, you're already doing that to begin with.

no one is well versed in the interwebs says darn, and there's no arguing with that,  its science.
also i cant believe you actually insinuate i am homosexual, do you realise what sort of scathing effects that may or may not have on my current mental state? i mean good sir, i am a human being and for you to say that is just darn offensive! i expect and email AND a letter of apology, signed by both you and your lawyer, thank you very much.

well i have never seen such rudeness on the internet, oh good heavens!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Board footer