You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: My guitar complaint *spoilers included*

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

we arent honestly doing another slash vs BH thread are we?

I hope not, because I think the Bucket vs Bumble threads are much more interesting. 16

Valid points have been raised though. People have said for years that all he does is shred, and now its turning into 'he's trying to copy Slash'. I had no idea that Slash was 'a freak that shreds with no emotion'. Guess I need to go buy those old GNR albums again.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

actually slash shreds pretty good on teh NR outro 16

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Both Bucket and Slash are phenomenal guitarists for enirely different reasons.

Bucket has a LOT more technical ability than slash, no way Slash could ever play notthingham lace. Bucket's fingers are more felxiable. Likewise, Slash has an undisputable ear for writing beautiful blues melodies. Sure bucket has some great tunes, but he hasn't proved his writing skills in the hard-rock-commerical genre like slash - he didn't write the solos on AFD, UYI...you know SCOM, November Rain...these kinds of songs are always listed as amongst the greatest rock solos ever.

It's interesting to look at the strenghs and weeknesses of both. And if i had mroe time i'd post a longer rant about it. One thing I think is a weakness of bucket (at least to my taste) is his avante guard style is unapproachable for a lot of people - he lacks consistancy. You know like I think that outro solo on Notthingam Lace is amongst the best guitar things EVER recorded...but I can't listen to every other song on the album its on. To my ears its a bunch of junk - wierd ass sound effects mixed with rambling bursts of shred and song structures that change every 20 seconds. To my mind (pending me hearing the rest of the album) - bucket hasn't done what he could have in GNR. Imagine a notthingham solo being the outro to something like prostitute or Novermber Rain!! TWAT is close..but for bucket's style its actually kinda restrained in terms of the shred and stuff..Meanwhile - slash can be too consistant - he is a god at hitting that blues soul - but I guess he is limited in the sence that that is what he will always bring to the table.

It's a shame we can't somehow have both.

So in short they both command respect and both should get more of it.

oneway23
 Rep: 0 

oneway23 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

So in short they both command respect and both should get more of it.

Works for everyone...should be a done deal...great post overall...

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Valid points have been raised though. People have said for years that all he does is shred, and now its turning into 'he's trying to copy Slash'. I had no idea that Slash was 'a freak that shreds with no emotion'. Guess I need to go buy those old GNR albums again.

This is what I was trying to get at. Everyone knows I love Bucket and prefer him in this era. I don't think he plays everything "perfectly", but he DOES play everything. My point is, now we're complaining about him being in the Slash vein whereas the past it was all about him just being a shredder. So, which is it?

well I never could get into Bucket's solo albums because that kind of music isn't for me,BUT the solos he's done on the GN'R stuff that I've heard sound cool to me,he's not the best guitarist in the world,far from it,but he did bring something different to GN'R and with Bucket's look and style most people couldn't have pulled it off,that's all I'm gonna say about it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
bigbri wrote:

My point is, now we're complaining about him being in the Slash vein whereas the past it was all about him just being a shredder. So, which is it?

That's not as contridictory as you might think though. IF a person wants a song to sound like the "classic" guns and roses, then what they will want is a solo that will sound like Slash's vintage peformances. While bucket can play in a variety of styles, at the end of the day, NO guitarist can ever imitate the tone, feel, touch and soul of another guitarist entirely. Yes Bucket can play note for note anything Slash writes, or Brian May rights or Stevie Ray Vaughn or Hendrix, however, even if note perfect, and even if he mimicks the feel those musicans have - he will never BE those musicans 100%. Likewise - there are musicians out there who have the chops to play a bucket song note for note - Paul Gilbert or Michael Antino Batio could do it - but a perfect copy of one of his songs notewise would still not BE a bucket peformance. One person just can't be another.

So going back to the person who wants a Slash peformance on the track. That person will then be offended either by shredding at a level faster than slash's playing AND by an attempt to play with a feel similar to slash's feel bcause just from the nature of music it will never be quite right.

Of course there's only a % of fans who feel that way. There are fans like yourself who don't want an old school vibe to the songs, who prefer the bucket peformances. And that is fine too - i think the fan base is going to have to agree to disagree.

As a guitarist I can respect all of the GNR players in different capacities. Slash is a guy who inspired millions of people to play the guitar and writes amazing and beautiful solos, bucket is a guy who plays so well I feel I should quit the guitar entirely, Ron is also an incredibale player and true musician.

The problem is really that GNR now has so many different styles....the songs make room from classic blues based rock, shred styles, industrial rock, dissonance, and everything inbetween. With so many themes in the band...there's always going to be people who like one thing more than another and no one guitarist would ever satisify the entire fan base anymore - as the music is crafted around the unique and amazing talents of at least 3 worldclass guitarists (not to mention the writing skills of a ton of others) 3

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I hope not, because I think the Bucket vs Bumble threads are much more interesting. 16

Anybody who has seen Bucket on a solo tour should know how much of a better player he is than Slash....it is too obvious. You can argue about their songwriting skills and contributions to individual songs, but there is no question about who has more overall guitar playing talent. That includes Blues, Shred, Metal, Ballads, et al....acoustic/electric...doesn't matter. Yes, I think Slash could have added some cool stuff to Chinese. But, he certainly should not have touched any of Bucket's stuff.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Neemo wrote:

actually slash shreds pretty good on teh NR outro 16

But Slash shreds with EMOTION dude. 16

I will never understand these arguments.  These people are trying to have their cake and eat it too when arguing about BH. 

Buckethead can play any style of music.  If you don't agree with that statement, you haven't heard enough of his music.  Go listen and then come back with a more informed opinion.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
madagas wrote:

Anybody who has seen Bucket on a solo tour should know how much of a better player he is than Slash....it is too obvious. You can argue about their songwriting skills and contributions to individual songs, but there is no question about who has more overall guitar playing talent. That includes Blues, Shred, Metal, Ballads, et al....acoustic/electric...doesn't matter.

I agree with the first half and disagree with the second. Strongly. Slash beats BH in blues, classic rock and blues rock, simply because that's not BH's style and he can't control himself enough not to do 'some BH'. BH can play a lot faster, his playing is very precious, his stuff is very hard to play - but zillions of singers are better than Axl, yet I favour him for his talent, that, just like Slash's, comes from a really ancient instict. I prefer Slash's instinctive (I hope it's the right word) playing over trillion hours of practice (and a great asset of musical talent). Opinions differ.

My problem with BH isn't that he's not good enough. He is. My problem is not that he's not Slash, yet he plays in GN'R. Well, I don't like Axl's taking the name, but that's not the main problem for him. I don't think that BH wouldn't fit GN'R - to tell the truth, without him most of the new songs were unlistenably boring and uninspired. BH's crazy stuff is killer on the songs, he's the one who deserves the most credit for 'taking the songs to a whole new level'. My problem is that this level isn't too high, because the main ideas and concepts of the songs were so weak (with a few expections) that even BH's great contribution wasn't enough to make it a great album. Axl's great (with some lamer performance here and there, but it happens on past GN'R records, too), BH's great, but that's all. The guitar work in overall isn't that great, no memorable riffs, a few memorable solos, but the synths and the forced elements kill the music for me. Just fuckin' tell me, how someone with Finck's ability can play this much on a GN'R record 17

Board footer