You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: On the Eve of Democracy, Where's Axl?

James wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

Which Itunes can u buy it on? It certainly isn't available on mine yet

WTF is up with that? no Itunes the day it hits radio?

Once again, is this to defraud and make people request it on the radio since they can't buy it?

It was bungled from the start. I'll never understand how this band can miss so many opportunities. The track should have been available the nanosecond it was played on the radio. Even before CD, Shackler's should have been on Itunes right after Rock Band was released. The excuse of it being Rock Band exclusive holds no water because the track is on the album.

It gives off the impression that they're afraid of competing on sales charts. Well, the day of reckoning is almost here and it could only help by having those two tracks available in the time leading up to release. They also could have gauged the real interest in this album by seeing how well the songs sold separately.

What this single sells this week will be a good judge on what the album will likely sell in 2 weeks, at least Itunes sales wise.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

For me, CD seems like the movies that arent pre-screened.

They do it, cause they don't want bad reviews to spoil the debut and make it a flop.

With CD, I think Axl doesn't want to talk cause he doesn't want to be asked about the old band.

With CD, if u don't sell the single on Itunes, more fans will request it on the radio since they can't buy it thus making the chart number higher.

We pretty much know now, this album could've came out shortly after the VMA's.

I think had the VMA's and the following tour hadn't been such a cluserfuck, we would've had CD in Nov 2002 or Spring 03 at the latest.

I still believe that VMA and that tour to half empty arenas scared Axl back into hiding.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

For me, CD seems like the movies that arent pre-screened.

They do it, cause they don't want bad reviews to spoil the debut and make it a flop.

With CD, I think Axl doesn't want to talk cause he doesn't want to be asked about the old band.

With CD, if u don't sell the single on Itunes, more fans will request it on the radio since they can't buy it thus making the chart number higher.

We pretty much know now, this album could've came out shortly after the VMA's.

I think had the VMA's and the following tour hadn't been such a cluserfuck, we would've had CD in Nov 2002 or Spring 03 at the latest.

I still believe that VMA and that tour to half empty arenas scared Axl back into hiding.

good point... it seems as though if things don't go perfect, it's back to the drawing board

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

A thought - I don't know much about record releases and how they usually go - but wouldn't promotion throughout the (USA) Thanksgiving week and weekend, when someone can run and get the record, be better than promotion now, when... they can't buy the album?

Best Buy must be running things in America, and I think they're just tying it to their normal Thanksgiving-go-crazy-shopping thing, with lots of attention throughout the Holiday season. Who cares if there's posters out right now. People have a limited attention span. I don't think Axl wants to wear his welcome, and he doesn't want to be a media whore, I think he'll do whatever he needs to do at the right moment. Standing outside with your dick in the wind right now saying 'my record is coming out' doesn't help. We'll see what happens in the week of the release.

Just devil's advocate.

nugdafied wrote:

It's painfully obvious that CD is really nothing special & as someone already mentioned, is being released to settle a debt. I just think he's so self-conscious that there won't be anymore tours, interviews, photos. I mean, if this "band" couldn't successfully tour North America during to early/mid 00's economic boom, how's it going to do it in '09.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
Gagarin wrote:

A thought - I don't know much about record releases and how they usually go - but wouldn't promotion throughout the (USA) Thanksgiving week and weekend, when someone can run and get the record, be better than promotion now, when... they can't buy the album?

Best Buy must be running things in America, and I think they're just tying it to their normal Thanksgiving-go-crazy-shopping thing, with lots of attention throughout the Holiday season. Who cares if there's posters out right now. People have a limited attention span. I don't think Axl wants to wear his welcome, and he doesn't want to be a media whore, I think he'll do whatever he needs to do at the right moment. Standing outside with your dick in the wind right now saying 'my record is coming out' doesn't help. We'll see what happens in the week of the release.

Just devil's advocate.

I don't see any wrong opinions on the subject. What you said is very plausible and maybe CD doesn't need a shit load of press. I certainly am not the pulse of the world, so I don't know the anticipation or how many people are aware of this.

I do look for an Axl interview in the DEC Rolling Stone or something. Sooner or later he is going to have to clear the air on everything.

I wish He'd do it on a bonus DVD or something included with the album. Have one of those Kurt Loder style MTV interviews he did before UYI's came out.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Axl is quiet awaiting the success (or lack of) Chinese Democracy to help him decide what he will do in the future.  That's my opinion.  If it does well he MAY bring together some of those other rumoured tracks, perhaps throw a couple more in the mix and put out another album soon.  If it tanks we may here Slash and Axl together in the relatively near future.

James

James wrote:
nugdafied wrote:

I mean, if this "band" couldn't successfully tour North America during to early/mid 00's

This is why they never should have toured in 2001-07 without an album. It continues to lower demand and anticipation. Imagine the album coming out in November, immediately followed by GNR's first tour since 1993. Venues would have sold out in minutes, economic crisis or no economic crisis.

Cant go back in time obviously, but I'm sure even he would admit those "AFD tours with a chinese carrot to please the hardcores' was a big mistake.

It diluted the product.

Best case scenario is the album gets off to a great start sales wise, they release a single that can carry it into early 2009, schedule a tour, and use one of these so called "big guns' as a single to coincide with the tour.

IF there are tour plans, I would save Better for that because its the only song that has a snowball's chance in hell of exploding.

Sky Dog wrote:

I'm with ya, don't see any Big Gun singles outside of Better. But, then again, what the hell do I know...:haha:

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

I'm with ya, don't see any Big Gun singles outside of Better. But, then again, what the hell do I know...:haha:

Actually, quite a lot. smile

The GNR camp could do itself a big favor by reading the posts of some of the people who have followed this saga for years.

Board footer