You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Re: On the Eve of Democracy, Where's Axl?

Von wrote:

Do I need to write more than that? Where's Axl? Where's the band? Falling short of the epic we all dreamed of for the past decade, this doesn't even register as an ordinary release. It's just ... subpar. There's no promotion save a few awkward TV spots. There's no video. A single was released without any fanfare. Two other tracks were debuted in a hurried fashion, also without any fanfare. Where's the Rolling Stone cover? Classic Rock? Cigar Afficionado? What's the lineup this month? Why the fuck does this thing feel like it's being pushed out of the way to settle some long standing debt Axl has to the label? Why does it seem like nobody besides Azoff, least of all Axl, actually wants to see this thing released at all? The rushed artwork? The haphazard tracklisting? The awkward and uncharacteristic retailer exclusive? I think this is being rush-released to make way for something else. Honestly. That something else might just be Axl becoming a hermit for the rest of his days and abandoning the industry altogether, but something's not right here.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

i'm way too tired to make a proper response right now...
but is is VERY troubling to say the least. It's supposed to be THE shining moment, and we get......silence. great post..*karma*

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I suspect he is sitting in Malibu playing twister with Beta waiting for this whole thing to blow over.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

great post

i think Axl is very media shy and wants to let the album speak for itself

Either that, or it's release is beyond his sphere of control. He could also just be waiting to see how it is genrally received?

Either way, regardless of the limited marketing, I think it is embedding itself adequately in the public conscience that CD is being released. There really is not that much marketing required in my view. The backstory is legendary enough.

All these years of speculating whether or not there will be billboards in every major city screaming "Chinese Democracy" etc.. have proved those notions rather... well.. silly

This is Axl's lifes work, and it is all about the art to him I think... I'm sure he want's it to be a success - but probably more so a critical success i'd wager

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...i didn't expect the end of the world. But I expected proper promotion and in Australia that isn't happening. At my music store they had posters of Ac/Dc's "Black Ice" and Metallica's "Death Magnetic" for at least a month before release...it's now 2 weeks out...my music store can't take my preorder for it (because they don't beleive me its happening for sure), there's no signs or posters or any form of publicity...all the local music magazines and newspapers  have full page adds for bands that are a lot less famous and future releases and there is not even a snippit about it. Very strange.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

yeah that's true

You're in Australia is that right monkeychow?

I'm in NZ. Been hardly a a peep. Heard CD on the radio twice.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

I just think he has no desire to deal with the press or media at this point

But on a related note I don't remember seeing anything about the new AC/DC album aside from a couple online articles until a week or two prior to the release, when I saw the ads on during football games regularly

In this day and age where the general public has the attention span of a fruit fly I think they'll probably wait until the last minute to really start bashing people over the head with marketing

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

yeah...I'm in Australia smile

Shotgun...i agree...as long as they do do that....like i can go into the stores here now and there's still AC/Dc posters up from october...I just hope i see some kind of promo like that.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Well, they did promise a 'monstrous campaign'. That is of course an exaggeration, but I doubt what we're seeing now is the end all of Chinese Democracy. There are still over 2 weeks left. I expect an increase in the promotion in a couple of days, and an intensification in the last week.

I think we all never expected Axl to do much promotion personally. Once the album is out he'll probably do a couple of select ones. The band members are neutered to the point of an interview being pointless. Nobody knows who they are either, so it's not something a magazine would have as a priority. There will probably be an increase there too though following the release, as the media gets something substantive to ask them about.

I hear you though Von, but we should give it a bit more time before we call it. This doesn't have to be Pennsylvania. 16

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:

It does seem odd that we haven't even heard of any random Axl sighting at least. You know, "Axl Rose spotted at trendy New York night club at 4 a.m." kinda thing.

Maybe they've got this all planned out, and he'll have a big press conference to announce the current line up and/or tour, etc. Or a big interview with Kurt Loder or something.

Board footer