You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Obama calls for mandatory youth service.

polluxlm wrote:

Rahm Emanuel, The Plan: Big Ideas for America (2006).

It’s time for a real Patriot Act that brings out the patriot in all of us. We propose universal civilian service for every young American. Under this plan, All Americans between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five will be asked to serve their country by going through three months of basic training, civil defense preparation and community service. …

Here’s how it would work. Young people will know that between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five, the nation will enlist them for three months of civilian service. They’ll be asked to report for three months of basic civil defense training in their state or community, where they will learn what to do in the event of biochemical, nuclear or conventional attack; how to assist others in an evacuation; how to respond when a levee breaks or we’re hit by a natural disaster. These young people will be available to address their communities’ most pressing needs.

And now, from change.gov:

The Obama Administration will call on Americans to serve in order to meet the nation’s challenges. President-Elect Obama will expand national service programs like AmeriCorps and Peace Corps and will create a new Classroom Corps to help teachers in underserved schools, as well as a new Health Corps, Clean Energy Corps, and Veterans Corps. Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by setting a goal that all middle school and high school students do 50 hours of community service a year and by developing a plan so that all college students who conduct 100 hours of community service receive a universal and fully refundable tax credit ensuring that the first $4,000 of their college education is completely free. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.

Original statement from change.gov:

Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year.

On related headlines we have the new Obama Jugend performing their drill, Kansas City, Missouri.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Load of bullshit.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

You guys wanted this. Now you're gonna get it.

Enjoy.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

What happened to the rest of tejas post?

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I deleted it and made it short and sweet.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

You guys wanted this. Now you're gonna get it.

Enjoy.

And when he governs right down the middle, then what? Will you admit the paranoia is a load of shit? He's owned and operated by the corporations just like Clinton (both of them), Bush, Reagan, and on and on. They will get their way during his administration just like they always have. The politicians are puppets on a string for corporate America. That's just fine though so long as there's a fuckload of corporations competing with each other for market share.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

tejastech08 wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I deleted it and made it short and sweet.

Fair enough.

Even if this was both true and going to happen, I'd rather do mandatory community service than give up my freedoms and my rights. Freedom of privacy and speech is more important to me than the freedom to be apathetic and lazy.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

(I'll answer your post anyway)

After they changed it, sure. It's voluntary now. That was mostly to show their line of thinking, which we'll get back to.

Oh, I got nothing against working for something. I have something against handouts however, in any which way or form. This reeks of state planning and marxist ideals.

You seem to miss the part where they want everybody to take part in this, even if they can't make it mandatory. That means a state effort, posters, lectures, commercials, articles, propaganda. Group pressure. And of course with the cost of an education these days there are large groups of people that would have to take this program to get an education at all.

And in theory that's great. Poor people getting a chance. Enhance the skill of the people. But it's the easy way out. It's the "please take care of me government, I can't do it myself" mentality. This is nothing new. Athlete scholarships, affirmative action, the new deal, federal deposits bank. That was the beginning. Now they're talking a state run banking system and nation wide public programs. The constitution is just a piece of paper and the Patriot Act is there to jail you for your good. You think it's going to end here?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

You call that 'down the middle'? People being forced into service isn't paranoia. I know everyone wants to live in la la land for a bit longer before the reality sets in, but we're already getting glimpses of the coming reality and its not pretty.

I remember libs bitching about Wolfowitz having various books/papers about reshaping the middle east. Gonzales said all kinds of garbage as well. Those things became reality(a nightmare to some, death to others). We're getting glimpses of coming policies again, but since its the messiah its all peaches and cream.

You're right though. He's an extension of the status quo.

Welcome to Bush's third term with more spending, bigger government, more taxes, and more rights taken away.

A year from now you'll see more liberals bitching about this clown than you will conservatives. Only difference is this time the blame falls on all the liberals.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

And in theory that's great. Poor people getting a chance. Enhance the skill of the people. But it's the easy way out. It's the "please take care of me government, I can't do it myself" mentality. This is nothing new. Athlete scholarships, affirmative action, the new deal, federal deposits bank. That was the beginning. Now they're talking a state run banking system and nation wide public programs. The constitution is just a piece of paper and the Patriot Act is there to jail you for your good. You think it's going to end here?

Sheesh, everything is a huge conspiracy to you. And I am curious. Why would it matter to you? Aren't you in Europe? The common thread linking mainstream politicians of both parties in the United States is that they pretty much govern in a manner that is friendly to the corporations and even when they try to take away our rights, our Constitution is usually strong enough to fight back against it. There's also a thing called elections. As long as those are around, the fuckers can't really do much of anything to us because they'll get sent out on a rail in no time.

Board footer