You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Delayed single release = BRILLIANT strategy...

tejastech08 wrote:

I know there's been plenty of complaints about the fact that the single was not released to consumers at the same time that it was released for radio plays. Well, I actually think this was a great strategy.

First off, due to the mystery surrounding the album, you just know that every DJ in the country was going to play the song once it was released for radio play. By delaying the single as a consumer product, you actually give it a nice boost a couple weeks after the initial release. It is going to soar up the charts due to how well it's selling on iTunes. Already up to #14 overall and #1 on the rock chart at the iTunes store. Basically they received a ton of free promotion simply due to the hype surrounding the album/song, to the point that they could lay low with the single being released to consumers. It was a great move on their part. The song was already very competitive with other top songs on radio WITHOUT being sold to consumers. It's basically going to give the song a longer life in the conscience of the public I think.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Good points. I agree.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Very true, plus I think their "free giveaway" of the single is a smart move.  It may not be the most original idea in the world, I'm sure it's been done before.  BUT, I pre-ordered the album and was given a coupon for a free download, which I am guessing still counts as a purchase.  So in essence I bought both the single and the album.  And apparently if you pre-order the vinyl version you get to download the album for free, again equalling 2 purchases (as long as I'm following all this correctly).

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I see that you can finally buy a Maxi CD of Chinese Democracy (the single).  I have been waiting to be able to buy a physical copy of it:

http://www.emp-online.co.uk/bin/shop.php?prog=shop&mid=&article=437858&funktion=PRODUCTINFO&bildrub=search&product=GUNS%20N'%20ROSES:%20Chinese%20democracy&tc=SEARCH

Also it appears that you can pre order Chi Dem and get a limited edition 7" copy of the single (obviously it won't arrive until afte the release date):

http://www.emp-online.co.uk/bin/shop.php?prog=shop&mid=&article=415413&funktion=PRODUCTINFO&bildrub=&product=Guns%20N'%20Roses:%20Chinese%20Democracy%20-%20EMP%20EXCLUSIVE%20EDITION&tc=SEARCH

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

i haven't really decided yet if this is brilliant or retarded...
it's definitely one or the other...

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

They are promoting this in a very unique, almost viral way--depending upon word of mouth to do much of the marketing.  This is so smart, as a groundswell of curiosity is building, and word of mouth marketing, esp. in the internet age, is the most effective.  People trust their peers more than any critic or whatever.  The marketing, to date, has been perfect.  And the delayed release to Itunes, has now added another larger wave of discussion, coming right behind the 1st wave.  What's next?

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

HMV are running the same offer as EMP (see the link Aussie posted). I noticed that the tracklist for the 7" EP is listed as:

# 1. Chinese democrazy
# 2. Shackler's Revenge

Any chance that Chi Dem is a demo version? Or is it just a typo? ... one can dream 16

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

I disagree, because being the big GN'R fan that I am, I would have rushed to buy the single as soon as it was available, as I'm sure many non-diehards would have done as well.

Now the single has been out for a while, I'm a bit "meh" about it.
Yeah, I'll buy the album, but I won't be rushing to buy any single unless it has some exclusive content on there on something.

This is the digital age, you gotta strike while the iron is hot.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

i haven't really decided yet if this is brilliant or retarded...
it's definitely one or the other...

"Ah....such a thin line between clever and stupid"

Yeah, I'm not really sure how I feel about it. The thing that really puzzles me is the lack of promotion from Best Buy. Nothing in the stores and one tiny mention in their ad (not even this week!) is really out of character for them.

They damn well better do a huge ad blitz during the week of Thanksgiving/Black Friday (aka the album's first week in release). Why pay for an exclusive and then fail to market it? That would be truly shocking if that's what happens.

Board footer