You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: BETTER: second single CONFIRMED

James wrote:
shotgunblues1978 wrote:

Slightly off topic, I can't really compare GnR to Santogold or Goldfrapp.  I've heard that Santogold album and it's cool but it's not really my thing.  Not to say I don't like it, but it's not the type of album that I personally would listen to over and over again.

I wasn't really trying to compare. Just showing that (at least in my opinion anyways) that there are other incredible albums out there as well.

Cologne Cerrone Houdini sounds like a 70's era Elton John-Paul Buckmaster track, minus the piano, with a girl singing.

Great description of the song.

I don't know man, CD is just a big, monstrous, over the top mainstream rock album, I've been starving for an album like this for years.  This is some 70's Queen shit, true rock extravagance and excess. Maybe it's just because this type of music has been dead on the mainstream level for so long but there's really nothing else quite like the new GnR out there.

Oh I agree that the music world needs something like this. Hell, its needed it for years.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

I completely hear you.  People limiting themselves strictly to rock may think CD is more "groundbreaking" or brilliant musically than it really is

It's definitely not like they're doing anything brand new or revolutionizing music.  For a rock album it's really intricate and has complex arrangements but at the end of the day it's still "just" a mainstream rock record

But, I will say that CD is probably unique from any other album ever made in terms of the styles on album (not that nobody has ever combined as many styles on one album, just to say that there's probably no other album out there that's quite like CD as a whole).  I mean having songs like Shackler's Revenge and This I Love on the same album, even if you hated both of those songs, you would have to admire the sheer audacity of it

To me, I think Better will be a hit because it is vintage GnR.  Not that it sounds like old GnR, but it's maybe the one song where they threw 15 different influences into a blender, poured it out, and it came out almost perfectly.  Industrial-pop-rock-progressive-metal with a outerspace R2D2 tapping, shred solos, and a blues solo that somehow comes together in a coherent piece of music that is insanely catchy.  To me "Better" is the only song on the album that justifies the absurd amount of time spent on it.  But even Better was done back in 2001.  That alone is proof that the delay had more to do with pride, mental health and behind the scenes power plays than the music itself.  I really think Better has the potential to be a huge, huge smash hit

gnfnraxl wrote:

Am I the only one that doesn't like Better all that much?

I don't like Better very much anymore,but it is a good choice for a second single.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

Good news. I was hoping Better would be the second single. I think it's going to be a huge hit. And if it's not, you can say goodbye to this album's chance at sustained success beyond the first week when diehards buy it.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

i think the success of the first single is being severely understated by a lot of people. the song is in heavy, heavy rotation, and winning more people over with every spin.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

i think the success of the first single is being severely understated by a lot of people. the song is in heavy, heavy rotation, and winning more people over with every spin.

Well that means Better will be even MORE effective since it is the catchiest song on the album and one of the catchiest rock songs released in a long time. It is the catchy Axl song people have been yearning for. It's not like this guy doesn't have one of the most unique voices in the industry. It sounds like classic GN'R updated for a post-grunge world.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

It is the next single. i called the radio and he told me his manager has it in his office for monday. so better is the next single. confirmed

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Damn, that was quick. I still think CD was just intended to wake up the rock audience to the new album. Better is probably the song they're banking on to be a hit.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

It is the next single. i called the radio and he told me his manager has it in his office for monday. so better is the next single. confirmed

Why is KRock presumably the only station talking about it though?  Is it exclusive to them to help promote the listening party tomorrow night?  Is it gonna be played all over the world tomorrow?  Were they not supposed to let this information slip?

Board footer