You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: Guns N' Roses update official site

misterID wrote:

How is my post spam? It was direct reply to comments, a joke, about who runs the website and who's responsible for (the mentioned) content.:ummm:

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Their site sux.

I meant this posts and some others above misterID.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Oh, I gotcha. Sorry, man.

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Paxcow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

If that happens, Beta & Fernando will have to go back to doing what they do best - working at Taco Bell.

that's just rude.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Their site sux.

I meant this posts and some others above misterID.

Sorry for going off topic.  As far as the updates go, I hope we get better clarification in the future.  I promise to behave.  9

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

i cant believe that review...fair enough, everyone has their own opinion, but to post that on the official GNR website..?????

sheesh, this band is really slip and sliding away into obscurity even faster now than before...

I was always an Axl fan, and always wanted to believe that he was right and that much better than the others, but now i don't know anymore...

I hope in a way that Slash's solo record blows this unprofessional attempt at a rock album straight out of the stadium....

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Paxcow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

If that happens, Beta & Fernando will have to go back to doing what they do best - working at Taco Bell.

that's just rude.

What's wrong with working at Taco Bell? Good food.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

yep - disgraceful stuff

this kind of stuff has always tainted my love and belief in what Axl is doing here - really makes it hard to support this, and it should be a celebratory period not a time to start bitter feuds
Anyways, Im enjoying CD alot

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Got a response from my email letter to Jed, the guy that wrote the review on the site...

Hey Marc -

Thanks for writing. Did you link from the Metal Sludge story? Just wondering
because it was picked up by them and the photo, new headline and sub-headline
spun the story in a way I didn't intend. I've got nothing bad to say about
Slash's early skills --- Appetite is a top 10 guitar album of all time. But
listen to that next to any Velvet Revolver track. His playing just doesn't
have it's early spark. As for Izzy, I got nothing bad to say about that dude.
In fact I said in the story I missed his Stones influence. But Axl and Izzy
weren't meant to be partners --- they just aren't after the same thing with
their songs. I also have to disagree with you on "Coma" --- just personal
preference, but I think that's Axl at his worst. Anyway, what do you think of
Chinese Democracy? Did you buy it Best Buy?

- Jed

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

My reponse to his repsonse.

Jed, thanks for the reply!

Yes, I did buy the new album from Best Buy... This is an album I have been excited about since about 1995 when I needed some new GNR.  But when the moment finally came, I just wasn't that excited.  Why?  Because not even Axl seems excited about it.  No interviews at all.  No tour announced.  All but three songs I have already heard, and many of them got worse over time.  Now, it is my fault I heard all those leaks and I did ruin it for myself some what.  Axl at times is brilliant on the album.  He sang his ass off.  But you know what drives me nuts?  The guitar players often don't capture Axl's anger or vibe. You often hear a protools copy and paste "insert solo here" type of production.  GNR isn't the guitar band I once loved.  There aren't any real riffs or great melodic lead lines.  Bucket should have taken every solo.  He is just that much better than Robin or Bumble in the "feel" department.  Bumble is a fantastic player, but sometimes his solos sound like its time to "shred just to shred".  My favorite songs are Sorry, Better, There Was A Time, If the World and I enjoy Chinese Democracy because I think it rocks the most of any song on the album.

This album could have come out years ago. I feel that the people that surround Axl are often the ones that hold him back the most.  I noticed it was your article that was chosen to be on the Guns N' Roses official site.  That is great for you, but I wondered why your article was selected.  It was the only one that pretty much dismissed the Use Your Illusions era and you hint that Izzy and Slash are the reason it fails.  By making it the official review they chose, it looks like Axl endorses your views.  This left a bad taste in the mouths of many fans.  As far as Izzy, I too miss that Stones vibe.

After your explanation, I understand your point of view about the album and guitar players.  However, I do think making another album with this lineup would be a disaster (no Buckethead, no Finck) as well as this is becoming a weak touring band too.  Its my opinion its only a matter of time before Axl gives into the cash cow (likely what his management wants) and reunites the glorious GNR we all became fans of.  As of now he can't even shoot a video because half the people that helped make these songs are gone.  This looks more and more like a solo album. Until that time comes (reunion), I will enjoy my copy of Chinese Democracy and I hope Axl comes out of hiding and gives this album the promotion it deserves.  Jed, what is your opinion, should this album have been released as a solo album, like Ozzy Osbourne, and keep the GNR name intact, like Black Sabbath?  That would have been my preference. 

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for your response,

Marc

Board footer