You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Re: How we will know for sure that CD is done

Abbey_Road wrote:

For those of you who read Slash's book, did you notice in I think Chapter 11 when he details the UYI tour, and talks about completing UYI I and II he says that Axl said this:

"the motherfucker is done"

So now we have to wait for anyone in the band to say that about CD and that is our cue that it is done

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

The only cue I will believe is when a representative of Universal announces a release date. Anything less is a boy crying wolf.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

A release date from Universal is a good start. But I'd also need a single on the radio. There's almost no turning back at that point.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I used to have a great interview on VHS where axl is talkintg about the delays associated with UYI, and its really uncanny how much of what he said about it could latter be applied to CD.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:

Did the 2007 4th quarter list of releases ever come out?

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
BurningHills wrote:

Did the 2007 4th quarter list of releases ever come out?

I guess we should be more concerned about the 2008 lists...

Horrific
 Rep: 7 

Horrific wrote:
bigbri wrote:

A release date from Universal is a good start. But I'd also need a single on the radio. There's almost no turning back at that point.

ahem

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

CD may very well be 'done', it may have been done for a good while now. Still, look at the history of the project. However you slice it, you get over 10 years of production time, label mergers, revolving staff both in GNR and the label(s), finance restructuring including a complete shutdown by Geffen in 2004, the current lack of proper management for the band...

Face it, Axl turning over the damn disc (or even the Baz-hinted trilogy of discs) isn't going to do that much to Universal. They're not going to fall on their knees singing praises. Instead, they'll likely look into what he's got, and take note of what he's selling. Then, and only then, I'd imagine the label will get into the table with Axl and start talking about who pays for what. How to release it, when to release it. Axl's (GNR's) contract would likely be looked at, they'd figure out whether his deal would still hold, to what extent, and whether or not would 1-3 discs from the CD sessions relieve him from his contract. Universal and Axl would both have to agree on a lot of things, and if the trilogy concept is in fact true, Axl'd have to sell them the idea of releasing three separate discs.

Thus, I believe 'label holding the release' is a very strong implication that CD (if not its successors) is done. After delivering the master, Axl has over a decade's worth of answers to be given to the label. His March 6th letter, while true to his intentions at the time, was certainly overoptimistic in this respect, as any regular relations with the label had been severed in early 2004, and Merck and co. were in the process of rebuilding the bridges.

The only question which was valid for 2007 was when the label would start hindering the release. Now, it's happening and thus I believe the record is done.

Board footer