You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: What your friends, family and co-workers have to say about CD....

Bono wrote:

Let's use this as a running thread to log  the reactions of people in our day to day life  to Chinese Democracy

O.k. so today I was down at the bar getting my shit ready for tonight. I decided to through on CD withouth saying anytinga nd ust see if the staff responds in anyway heres' what happened:

Sorry - This was the first song I played. It got zero reaction that is of course untill Axl's "classic" voice kicked in. Imediatey Crystal(28 year old bartender) walks over and asks if it was Guns N' Roses. I told her yes and she said cool I've never heard it before. Told her it's because it's off the new album that coems out tomrrow. She said Sounds awesome.

The Blues - I played this one to test my theroy that this song will tank with the general public.  Anyways Crystal and Brent(20 year old swamper) both said it sounded weird. I never pryed or went any further. I just wanetd honest, unprovoked reactions. That's all they said. It sounded weird. Whatever that means

Better - The last song I played before I left. Brent said halfway through that I shoudl play it tonight. I told him for sure and probablya  few more. He dug it alot. Other than that nobody else said anything. There was only 4 staff working at teh tiema nd the bar wasn't even open so.....

Last night I had dinner at my Mom's place. Showed her This I Love and she said it was alright but Axl sounded sick 16 Moms eh, what are ya gonna do.

Also last night my buddy who really doesn't like Gn'R commented on Shackler's Revenge. I had it playing in the car and he asked if it was new Guns N' Roses and I told him yes. His reaction was "sounds pretty cool actually". 

We'll see how things go tonight and what songs I decide to play. For the record I will not be playing any of the slower songs except maybe Sorry earlier in the night so there will be no public reaction to the Blues on my end tonight wink

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

So far I've played the music for my girlfriend (25) and her friend (22).

They liked the expected ones: Better/Street of Dreams (EVERYONE I've played this for likes it, seriously BONO!)/T.W.A.T. and the title song.

I was kind of surprised that they liked Shackler's Revenge (I don't much)/Prostitute (hasn't hit me hard)/ and not so surprised This I Love.

They pretty much were mediocre to everything else.  I know many like Sorry but they were so so on it saying "It doesn't sound like GNR"...lol. Actually that song has grown on me.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Everybody i've met likes the usual suspects, Better, TWAT & Sorry.

I'd be interested what the casual reaction will be to Prostitute.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Am i the only one who thinks Sorry is the weakest track on the album? It certainly wouldn't be the one i'd play to a casual listener first.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

ereeper wrote:

My kids love it and my wife has played it more then I have.  I'm the die-hard and she is the casual fan so that is a good sign.  We are hosting Thanksgiving so it will get a good spin that day for the family.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I actually like Sorry - its definitely not a cliche Guns track though so I could see why you may not play it to the casual listener if you were trying to entice them into the new guns album.

My whipping boy is Scraped.  I really hate that flipping thing!

I've got a barbie and beers at a mates place this afternoon where we are having a bit of a listening party with a crew of people.  So I will be interested in everyones reponse, since they can no doubt be more objective than me.

oneway23
 Rep: 0 

oneway23 wrote:

I've got a friend out in California who is ecstatic about the release and another with whom I'll be going to get the album tomorrow.  This guy is as blue-collar as can be and was a die-hard "classic" GNR fan until their dying day.  For years, this guy didn't want to hear word one about anything relating to the new band, and although he came with me on that fateful night in Phily in '02, he's always held resentment towards Axl for destroying the old band.  After years of me beating him over the head with it, he finally agreed to listen to a disc I made him of the June leaks.

His initial reaction was "where's the rock?" and "it's not bad."  I spoke with him 2 weeks later and he said "I'm kinda digging it."  Ever since they announced the release, he's been as geeked out as I am.  Told me he used an audio editing program and removed the vocals, so he could focus on the composition and musicianship.  Being a guitarist himself, he was floored with what he heard.  Loved that there was no "wasted air" in any of the songs.  My wife has followed the whole saga as a life-long fan and couldn't be happier with the record.  Everyone else I know just kinda scoffs and snorts when I bring it up.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

my coworkers hate the chinese democracy single

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Am i the only one who thinks Sorry is the weakest track on the album? It certainly wouldn't be the one i'd play to a casual listener first.

I wouldn't say the weakest but I definitely don't consider it as good as Better/Street of Dreams/TWAT and a few other tracks like so many others do.  That's definitely a good thing however, it's great that the favorite tracks are so varied amongst the members.  That is a good sign for the quality of the album.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Aussie it's strange how we vary, I think 'Scraped' is one of my favourites on the album - mostly cos of the vocals - I experience those high's and low's myself so I kinda "get it". 'Sorry' is more an aquired taste to me - I don't hate it - but I don't love it like everyone else on here seems to - I like pretty much the rest of the album more.

I also think maybe some of this album would be rating higher with fans if we hadn't heard so much of it. Like Maddy, TWAT and IRS are fantastic songs I think...it's just that we know them so well - i think people are being harsh with their reviews. Well that's my 2c anyway.

I guess we're all hardcores on here. But I think this album is really really solid. And being a slash fan i'd love to have pissed on it...but basicly...it may have taken him a lifetime...but Axl has come up with 14 more excellent songs to give to the world. I'm so happy about that.

I'd love to hear what an average person would think of Maddy.

So far i havn't played much of the album to my friends. My girlfriend listened to it and said it was 'listenable' - which from her is a huge compliment cos she only listens to accoustic folk music as a rule - mind you I was fucking her at the time so doing my absolute best to distract her LMAO wink

Board footer