You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: so, does CD stand up as a Guns N' Roses album?

Axlin16 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

My friend just called me.  They played the whole album on a local station... He heard every song, sat through it all.  He will not buy album.  He said GNR to him meant singing the chorus',playing air guitar, rocking out... He hates the lack of riffs and balls.  He hates the lack of a true guitar hero on ever song.  He misses the anthems, the hooks, the famous chorus'.  Says nothing on the album makes him want to play air drums or pick up the guitar.  He is a GNR, but not like we are...  Just an average fan.  I tend to agree with him.  There is no PC or SCOM or NR epic solo... Or Patience that every one knows every word too.  Walking into a bar, with bitches dancing, what song on new album would they play?  We know PC, SCOM, WTTJ, etc always still get played in bars and are guaranteed good times.  What song does that on this album?

None, but not for any of the reasons your friend stated.

Those songs identify with each and every person for a certain reason. As so as you hear those opening chords, you remember where you were, what it meant to you, what soundtrack of your life that song meant to you.

I've been a large part of my youth, anticipating CD. Thus the reason, it's easy for me, to totally submerge myself into Madagascar. It means something different to me. It strikes me at a certain time of my life, a few years ago, and will never go away. It's just as poignant now in a finished version, as a live version was several years ago.

The old GN'R songs hold certain meanings too.

But what your friend is wanting CD to be, is an impossible task. He's asking CD songs to join the rank and file of AFD, and represent the same thing which is simply impossible for those songs to do. These songs are too heavy to be played at the bar and represent good times, just like most of the Illusion tracks are not bar-friendly.

The CD songs have to find their own existance on their own merits. But anthems? No, there are none, and that's intentional. That's not what this album is about. AC/DC churns out new anthems... and they all sound the same.

Alot of the CD songs are also too emotionally deep to ever "go there". The only song I could imagine people singing along to is Better.

As for 'catchy' and 'memorable', there are PLENTY of songs on here that are those things. Shackler's, Better, If The World, Sorry, I.R.S., This I Love...

If GN'R had three singles out, and maybe two videos, and were doing live appearences everywhere... it'd catch on.

Motley Crue has sucked since 1989... but Saints of LA is stuck in my head forever, and I sing along to it. Why? Because they crammed it down my fucking throat. Same with If I Die Tomorrow a few years ago.

I also think a HUGE key for GN'R & CD, will be to go after the future - Rock Band 2. Don't stop with Shackler's. Provide downloads for Rock Band 2 for CD, Better, TWAT, Scraped, Riad, I.R.S. & Prostitute. Tracks that would probably port to the game well and be fun. That'll be your biggest exposure, and believe me... you play Prostitute 96 times on Rock Band 2 and finally beat it - it'll be brainwashed into your head forever. 22

aznative
 Rep: 0 

aznative wrote:

I think it does.  My friend and I went and got our copies yesterday at the Mason City, IA BB, and I stuck it in the player in the truck.  When SOD came on, just the way it flowed, I said to him, "Yep, this is G'n'R", and he agreed.  Almost like Axl picked up where it all left off with UYI, and evolved it after all these years.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I love the album...but I do wish bucket had managed to play an epic outro somewhere...I know we all dig twat...but it's lightweight soloing compared to what bucket has done in songs like soothsayer and notthingham lace. I just would have liked there to be a song that would show his true abilities.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Alot of good points being made here. Gnfnraxl, I agree, it is a solo album, not a bands album. Only a few songs sound like a band. Heck look at the credits, guitarists are in with drummers who were never in the band toogether at the same time (BH & Frank, Freese is still on a few, he's been out for years etc). It's great they're all on it, surprises me, but I agree it's a solo album. Still good.

Russ, I don't like the Scraped intro. Nor the Scraped outro, or anything really in between. Can't say I like the song much, only song i like less is SR.

Monkey, I agree, an epic outro would have been slamming on this album. Guess it wasn't meant to be. Good idea though.

Still a great album, like I said before, AFD, UY2, Lies, CD, UYI1, Spaghetti. IMHO

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Alot of good points being made here. Gnfnraxl, I agree, it is a solo album, not a bands album. Only a few songs sound like a band. Heck look at the credits, guitarists are in with drummers who were never in the band toogether at the same time (BH & Frank, Freese is still on a few, he's been out for years etc). It's great they're all on it, surprises me, but I agree it's a solo album. Still good.

Perhaps the name Guns N' Roses is more appropriate than ever. After all, it's really just a bunch of hired guns mixed in with the other namesake of the band. Not a band in the least bit. But the irony of that name is certainly amusing.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

^^ I see where you're going with that (ie: hired GUNS AND axl ROSEs). Not bad, pretty ironic after all. I doubt they were his intentions, but funny nonetheless.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Anybody ever pick up on the album cover, cutting off the 'S' on the spray paint.

Guns N' Rose - I think that was intentional.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Wow, it's amazing to see how many people think, that despite all it's flaws, Chinese Democracy stands up as a Guns N' Roses album.

Me, I'm still on the fence about it.

I think I'm most comfortable as it being an Axl solo album. Guns N' Roses albums prior to this are all pretty fucking flawless to me, even TSI.

But CD just has too many "what the fuck?!" moments going on for me to consider it up there with the rest.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Wow, it's amazing to see how many people think, that despite all it's flaws, Chinese Democracy stands up as a Guns N' Roses album.

Me, I'm still on the fence about it.

I think I'm most comfortable as it being an Axl solo album. Guns N' Roses albums prior to this are all pretty fucking flawless to me, even TSI.

But CD just has too many "what the fuck?!" moments going on for me to consider it up there with the rest.

I agree with you as to me it's an Axl Rose solo album and not a GNR record.  It has the name GNR but to me it doesn't sound like GNR other than Axl's voice, the music is different than GNR and it doesn't feel like GNR.  And it's not because it has too many what the fuck.  It just doesn't sound or has the feel of other GNR records.

Board footer