You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: so, does CD stand up as a Guns N' Roses album?

war wrote:

i agree with everything dtj said
my spin is that this is a very special album with so many influences and contributions. it's diversity is unparalleled by and other gnr album.

War and myself are really connecting today 5

Not to knock Axl, I personally don't consider CD as being part of the original GnR album catalogue.  This is a new era.  Really unrelated to the 1987-1991 heyday (I don't count TSI because Izzy wasn't there and it's nothing but covers).  In my mind this is "Guns n Roses Mach II."  Kind of like when Joe Strummer fired Mick Jones and continued with The Clash.  Everyone calls that second lineup "The Clash II."  Or comparing the Roger Waters led Pink Floyd era to the David Gilmour one.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's fine Axl calls this new group Guns n Roses.  (Duff, Slash and Izzy don't seem to give a shit anymore so why should I) but I sleep better thinking of this group as a separate entity from the classic lineup. 

The reason CD is NOT a true GnR record is because of what it's missing:  Slash's dangerous guitar solos and hardcore riffing.  Duff's relentless bass and rough backup vocals.  Izzy's blues swagger and street smart lyrics.  Steven's simple yet powerful drumming.  That whole Aerosmith mixed with AC/DC feel that slowly started to evaporate on the Illusion discs.  I personally miss Axl singing about getting laid and high.  But he's older now and ever since 1991 he's had his artistic sights set on creating another Dark Side of the Moon or Sgt Pepper.  Instead of just putting out cool rock n roll albums like Izzy and Velvet Revolver have done. 

Chinese Democracy in my view is just a great Axl Rose solo album.  A damn good one IMO.  And while there's elements that are similar to the classic GnR albums from 2 decades ago, this is a totally different beast entirely.  How could Axl sound like GnR when he's the only one left?  Ever wondered why Paul, George, John and Ringo all sound average on their solo albums but were awesome as The Beatles?  No one member can create that classic Beatles sound on their own.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:
war wrote:

my spin is that this is a very special album with so many influences and contributions. it's diversity is unparalleled by and other gnr album.

i can live with being connected to you for a day.

as long as you're gone by morning. 16

war wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:
war wrote:

i can live with being connected to you for a day.

as long as you're gone by morning. 16

I'll have to remember that!  15

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
gnrfan1987-present wrote:

Not to knock Axl, I personally don't consider CD as being part of the original GnR album catalogue.  This is a new era.  Really unrelated to the 1987-1991 heyday (I don't count TSI because Izzy wasn't there and it's nothing but covers).  In my mind this is "Guns n Roses Mach II."  Kind of like when Joe Strummer fired Mick Jones and continued with The Clash.  Everyone calls that second lineup "The Clash II."  Or comparing the Roger Waters led Pink Floyd era to the David Gilmour one.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's fine Axl calls this new group Guns n Roses.  (Duff, Slash and Izzy don't seem to give a shit anymore so why should I) but I sleep better thinking of this group as a separate entity from the classic lineup. 

The reason CD is NOT a true GnR record is because of what it's missing:  Slash's dangerous guitar solos and hardcore riffing.  Duff's relentless bass and rough backup vocals.  Izzy's blues swagger and street smart lyrics.  Steven's simple yet powerful drumming.  That whole Aerosmith mixed with AC/DC feel that slowly started to evaporate on the Illusion discs.  I personally miss Axl singing about getting laid and high.  But he's older now and ever since 1991 he's had his artistic sights set on creating another Dark Side of the Moon or Sgt Pepper.  Instead of just putting out cool rock n roll albums like Izzy and Velvet Revolver have done. 

Chinese Democracy in my view is just a great Axl Rose solo album.  A damn good one IMO.  And while there's elements that are similar to the classic GnR albums from 2 decades ago, this is a totally different beast entirely.  How could Axl sound like GnR when he's the only one left?  Ever wondered why Paul, George, John and Ringo all sound average on their solo albums but were awesome as The Beatles?  No one member can create that classic Beatles sound on their own.

CD is definitely Axl's vision of a GNR record. I don't agree that he needs Slash or any part of the old line up to make it a true GNR album. He could have totally reinvented GNR and made the new band stand alone if he had released CD in 01-03. But he blew it.

I don't see this as a "new" GNR album or a solo Axl album. Its Axl's GNR album.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

CD is certaintly the best album since AFD.

No skippable tracks.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

CD is certaintly the best album since AFD.

No skippable tracks.

I dont skip any on the 30 or so UYI.. sure there aint any i like as much, but i dont skip em.  I do skip SOD, always have, always will..
thats 14 songs against 30 tho.. its silly to even compare

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Sure, it's a Guns N' Roses album, and one worthy of the name. However, taking some of these old songs, some songs from Slash and Duff solo, and one or two Gilby tunes, you can see a 94-95-96 GNR could've provided more radio hits and singability than CD does.

Cure Me or Kill Me, Beggars and Hangers On, along with This I Love and Catcher and Chinese Democracy, and a mid-90s GNR album would've pleased almost everybody. But they couldn't work together anymore.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

If all of you could choose your favourites songs from the Illusions set and make a single album, where would you rate that album in your favourite albums of all time catagory????

I think for me it might be top, top 3 definently.

Board footer