You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: so, does CD stand up as a Guns N' Roses album?

Axlin16 wrote:
mickronson wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

CD is certaintly the best album since AFD.

No skippable tracks.

I dont skip any on the 30 or so UYI.. sure there aint any i like as much, but i dont skip em.  I do skip SOD, always have, always will..
thats 14 songs against 30 tho.. its silly to even compare

Being completely honest, there's nothing I skip on UYI1. But I skip Shotgun Blues & My World on UYI2... yet at the same time, I prefer UYI2 over UYI1.

It's weird.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

No. In my opinion it doesn't.  It just doesn't.  An album that holds up to the Gn'R name should represent what Gn'R was and is about. This album doesn't have an attitude. It doesn't have any swagger. It doesn't have anything overly classic about it. It's not in your face. This album dwells in self pitty more than anything.  That was never a characteristic of Gn'R. You can hear the lack of confidence in the songs. I honestly don't think this album comes close to representing the Gn'R name.  For me even TSI? had the Gn'R swagger even if it wasn't an amazing album. It still had that bite to it. Chinese Democracy is laced with alot of wimpering in it. Not to mention the fact that I think it sputters and drags terribly in the middle portion of the album(SOD, TWAT, CITR, Scraped, Rn'B). AFD hits you in the face and is loaded with classics. Lies hit you in the face and gave fans a tatse of the bands ferocious live energy not to mention the "softer side". The Illusions showed us how diverse they could be and gave us new classics while still smacking us in the face, cementing their legacy as one of the greatest rock bands ever. Honestly what does Chinese Democracy give us that lives up to the Gn'R name? In the past you could hear a Gn'R song wihtout the vocals and know it's Gn'R. This CD really lacks that Gn'R sound. It doesn't have to be AFD II but I mean even U2 sounds like U2 when they're switching things up. Take the vocals out and it's not Gn'R.  Take the vocals off the previous albums and that's still Gn'R baby.  Not because of who's in the band but because of what it sounds like. Chinese Democracy is a slightly above average album in my opinion and to live up to the Gn'R name you gotta be fucking amazing.  End of story.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Olorin wrote:

If all of you could choose your favourites songs from the Illusions set and make a single album, where would you rate that album in your favourite albums of all time catagory????

I think for me it might be top, top 3 definently.

Probably 3rd. I don't think an all star Illusion track list could top AFD. Maybe. But yeah I'd say third probably. Right behind U2's Achtung Baby and AFD.  Off the top of my head it'd look something like this( I don't know if that'd all fit on an album though but...)

1. Civil War
2. You Could Be Mine
3. Don't Damn Me
4. Perfect Crime
5. Live and Let Die
6. Knockin' on Heaven's Door
7. November Rain
8. Dead Horse
9. You Ain't the First
10. Breakdown
11. Estranged
12. Coma

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Paxcow wrote:

yes it stands up! yes it totally does!

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

Yes.  I rate it on the level of UYI 2

It doesn't climb to the heights of Locomotive or Estranged for ballads, or YCBM for rockers, but it doesn't have anything as bad as Get In The Ring, So Fine, or My World

I love Chinese Democracy...AFD was a fave as a kid, but I listened to it after listening to CD and some of the AFD songs sound a little thin in comparison, ChiDem is bombastic!

Board footer