You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: CD first impressions

Oh yeah I hear it. Doesn't bother me a ton but I am surprised at how amatuerish the non-band side of this thing was. Like they just grabbed a CD with 'Scraped' written on it and put on the first demo track, finished it up, and released it.

I want one or two more If The World's and Sorry's.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

A good album.  Was not disappointed and I was surprised at times.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Scraped... it's the song guys. It's the song. It's just a bad job.

It's on the disc, it's on the Vinyl, it's on the web stream, it's on the radio, etc.

Just the way it is. A total fucking hack must've mixed it.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Just the way it is. A total fucking hack must've mixed it.

Yeah, it was Axl. 16

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

I didn't think I would agree with you about this, James, but the production IS spotty.

I couldn't get over how FLAT IRS, Catcher, and TWAT are vocally. It's the same old thing we had with each 'demo' - same vocals, inserted over a dynamic music track. The vocals don't weave in and out.. they're just there. And they sound muddy. It's like the original recording sucked or something.

And the Scraped glitch makes me crazy each time.
First impression = how could this have happened?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I'd been assuming that glitch was one of those intentional things like purposely dropping a beat in a song for a tic...

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Continuing my mini-review.

IRS: Horns in the breakdown? Really, why? Not a big deal I guess, it's like 2 seconds.

Madagascar: still like this. I think the Bucket solo is one of the best on the CD. I'd love an instrumental.

This I Love: This sounds like a band I've heard before but can't put my finger on it. Dream Theater or Savatage maybe. Again, the raping this song got in the leaks thread had me prepared for the worst. Maybe my expectations were sufficiently lowered. The solo is not THAT bad. Ron or Bucket probably should have been given it, considering this song's importance. It is a little abrasive compared to the rest of the song but is OK. I don't mind the cheese of this. Some of my favorite songs ever are piano ballads.

Prostitute: I hope this is the signal of where this GNR is going. I wonder if that's possible now though. I've always really dug this song. Drumming is cool; I like the guitars a lot, the rhythm and lead both. Solo is so-so.

So, my general view is: gimme more than 1 listen! Lol! Maybe I can turn this into a full review. My standards must be lower than a lot of yours, because I'm not hearing all the massive problems.

Lemme lay out my cards on the whole Slash vs. new GNR guitars argument. I've never really waded into this hard-core because I wanted to wait for the CD.

The CD is lacking the emotional, grandiose Slash solo of November Rain or Estranged. There is emotional playing, such as Bucket's Madagascar solo, which I think fits the bittersweet melancholy attitude of the song. I like it the best of CD. Still, it's not a solo per se when all those samples are piled on top of it. This I Love could have used one, but Finck or whoever does just a serviceable job. In my perfect world, Bucket would have gotten that one. He proves on Sorry he can do the old GNR guitar sound, and I think he outSlashes Slash with some of those tones and riffs playing under Axl's vocals on the outro.

That said, the guitar work on a whole is more interesting to me. More stuff going on, more adventurous playing, it's not run of the mill. In that regard, I'm happy we got who we got on guitars, because I've been nothing but disappointed in Slash's post-GNR work. He is either unwilling or unable to break out of his mold.

The next move for this band seems unclear. Without most of the CD creators, we could be in store for an even more inconsistent CD next time around.

Unless, of course ... nah.

bucketfan
 Rep: 30 

bucketfan wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Unless, of course ... nah.

You and I both know that if this band is to have a bright future, that needs to happen.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I've lost track in the last day or so - is there some speculation pitman is gone? Hadn't he written "hundreds" of song ideas with Axl? possible next slbum could be song ideas from Axl, Pitman and Tobias - with solos from Bumble.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I've lost track in the last day or so - is there some speculation pitman is gone? Hadn't he written "hundreds" of song ideas with Axl? possible next slbum could be song ideas from Axl, Pitman and Tobias - with solos from Bumble.

Axl just released an album that took 14 years to make and you're already talking about the next album!?  Now that's what I call being positive.  16

Board footer