You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Iovine Talks Axl, U2, Dre, Eminem

RussTCB wrote:

removed

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I'm really curious to see how this statement pans out next week when the sales numbers hit:

"It looks like it's going to do really well. I mean, really, really well. Beyond anybody's expectations."

He's spinning. I really don't see how the hell it could do very well with almost no promotion. All it has going for it is the Best Buy exclusive during Black Friday shopping. I don't know what his expectations are, but I'll be shocked if it does any more than a half million in the first week.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

It had a ton of promotion just none from axl.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

It had a ton of promotion just none from axl.

You've gotta be kidding. Best Buy has not promoted it that much. Not like Wal-Mart promoted AC/DC's album.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah promotion was lacking. Axl should have done an RS interview, he'd have been on the cover.

The BB deal was just to make $$ on the backend. It had nothing to do with getting added promotion.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I think the whole album was released strictly for financial reasons to get it out of the way.  I don't know what the real big thing is that comes next, but this wasn't it.  Reunion?  Maybe.  Getting out of his contract somehow so he can do whatever he wants musically?  More likely than a reunion right now imo.  Whatever it is, CD wasn't it.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

on the surface, the promotion was actually alright...the problem is that it could have been SO MUCH BETTER.

tv ads, a couple of singles, listening parties, dr. pepper, magazine and newspaper ads, the myspace thing, i mean its not like anybody didn't know this was coming out.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I think the whole album was released strictly for financial reasons to get it out of the way.  I don't know what the real big thing is that comes next, but this wasn't it.  Reunion?  Maybe.  Getting out of his contract somehow so he can do whatever he wants musically?  More likely than a reunion right now imo.  Whatever it is, CD wasn't it.

Downliner posted an interesting article (has its own thread) that indicates it was due to financial and legal problems, namely his debt to Sanctuary and the royalty issue with Slash/Duff from a few years ago when Sanctuary bought the catalog from Axl.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

on the surface, the promotion was actually alright...the problem is that it could have been SO MUCH BETTER.

tv ads, a couple of singles, listening parties, dr. pepper, magazine and newspaper ads, the myspace thing, i mean its not like anybody didn't know this was coming out.

I ONLY knew it was coming out because of this site and the numerous myspace messages they sent out (too many actually).  I never saw an ad for it on tv, heard one on the radio (and it was advertising the listening party, not the album itself).  I think a lot of people that don't listen exclusively to rock stations (in other words, most people) still have no idea the album is out, but more importantly, they don't care either.

Board footer