You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: New York yawns at Chinese Democracy

PaSnow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

People also talk of these giant displays. Where? I didn't see anything when I bought my copy yesterday.

I think people have varying degrees (or embellish) of the word "giant".

Mine had a display. Decent size. Would hold probably 100 cd's (guessing, myb more, myb less). Again, guessing about 25-50 were left. Could be looked at either way. Could be "Giant display & they were selling out" or "lame ass 2 bit display & I was the only one buying it. Only about 50 had been sold so far."

The sales figures certainly won't be huge. Can't pass the blame onto BB since they CHOSE to go thru them.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

This is why I OD on salt when various fans at all these sites say "I bought a quadrillion copies and I saw 50 people in line who also had a quadrillion copies. Clerk said she was tired of scanning so many of these albums". Those sound like stories based on what they wanted the experience to be like. People also talk of these giant displays. Where? I didn't see anything when I bought my copy yesterday.

Its better to ignore stuff like that and wait for the facts to come in.

Like you said in your other post James, Certain stores were picked or each store was in charge. Honestly we have 1 best buy in Tallahassee and they had 3 stand up displays set up along the front of the store of CD. They also has some on the shelves in the main cd section.  But honestly i picked mine up at 4 pm and it looked as if they had only sold, maybe 25 copies

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The store I went to had a big display right in front, as soon as you walked through the door, couldn't miss it.

And in case James is wondering, the Best Buy employee volunteered the information with excitement when I picked the album up, and claimed they were flying, they were going to have to restock them, and they'd only be open a few hours. I also could visable see with my eyes, the CD's had been slammed. They stacked the display at opening, and they were almost all gone.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The store I went to had a big display right in front, as soon as you walked through the door, couldn't miss it.

And in case James is wondering, the Best Buy employee volunteered the information with excitement when I picked the album up, and claimed they were flying, they were going to have to restock them, and they'd only be open a few hours. I also could visable see with my eyes, the CD's had been slammed. They stacked the display at opening, and they were almost all gone.

I wasn't directing that at one specific person. Its just a pattern I've noticed at all these sites. I'm sure it is selling well in key areas. Its only logical that it pulls in a lot of sales right off the bat. Its just mildly amusing going to Best Buy to get the album and I'm the only person in the music section, but everyone else sees riots in the aisles and shopping carts are overloaded with copies of Chinese Democracy.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I see your point, but I was just wanting point out - that happened to me.

But I didn't see a single person other than me at the same time buying it. Maybe Best Buy is trying to make it look like it's flying off the shelf.

christina_rose
 Rep: 15 

There was a display at the Best Buy I went to in NJ. Vinyl on top, cd's along each of the four sides. I was there at 9, and there were two other people who bought the cd. The one guy I was talking to grabbed a vinyl and easily 5 copies of the cd. He wanted to give them to his friends, or so he told me. I'll admit, I got caught up in the excitement (what little there was). I had no plans of buying the vinyl, but after 15 years I couldn't help it. I have the vinyl and the cd. And the circular. I never even walked down the aisle to see if there were more cds at the GNR section. While I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more people there, it was 9 am on a Sunday, and the normal store hours there are usually 11 am. So I can always say people didn't know the store was open yet. LOL. Yeah there wasn't a bunch of fanfare, but eh. I'm just happy to have the darned thing.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I wish I could have seen this damn display. I'm starting to think they just hadn't put it up yet. I saw no vinyl copies in my local Best Buy. Definitely gonna go check it out tomorrow and see if this has been set up there.

Sky Dog wrote:

I was there at 9 am on Sunday when the store opened and there were two people in the entire store......me and another guy buying the cd.....literally no other customers.

Sky Dog wrote:

oh yeah, the guy gets behind me to check out and we just gave each other a quick, uneasy glance....no words were spoken. I felt like a crack addict. 14

christina_rose
 Rep: 15 

I took a picture of the display, but only the top of it. I can post it if someone tells me how to.

Board footer