You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Guns ‘N Roses: Dynamics and quality win the Loudness Wars

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

Very cool, thanks for sharing Russ!  I definitely would like to see a return to quality recording myself.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Great Find thanks!

Metallica need to hire this dude next time around!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Totally agree. Talking about the actual 'loudness' & 'dynamic' sound of CD, it's fucking perfect.

It's loud right up to the point it becomes too loud, and it stops. Alot of bands these days want it so loud, the speakers can't even handle it, and it distorts the song. GN'R took it right up to that point, before crossing the line. So you get a massive boasting sound, but without the distortion.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

I hear new shit all the time...it is a very dense record but it still comes out pretty damn clear.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I dont think I have ever heard an album thats been made to sound louder, any examples?
I have seen a lot of comments about Death Magnet, but I have never heard that album yet.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Death Magnetic is a case of it being made so loud, that mixes are now distorted.

Think the outro to Better x10.

Roxxie
 Rep: 11 

Roxxie wrote:

Great post, very interesting to hear Bob Ludwig's opinion.  I read on another board somewhere that a lot of the engineers involved in mastering and the "loudness" wars hate it, but are pressured by labels and producers.

Another album mastered loud is "californication" .  I'm pretty thrilled Axl didn't do it.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I have heard that Chillis album, never noticed distortion though.

I always wondered about that distortion at the end of Better, was really suprised its on the album. I just figured beforehand, its because its a demo and will be removed on the final cut.

Board footer