You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ereeper
 Rep: 14 

Re: IF CD doesnt outdo Contraband

ereeper wrote:

All I care about is that I like CD and didn't buy any of the VR albums.  I did download Fall To Pieces off of itunes, but that's the only VR in my collection.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

You can't compare the two sales-wise.  People buy less albums than when Contraband came out.  Record sales have declined even further. 

And who cares?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It's pretty natural that people apply double standards when they are debating something that at its very core is a subjective opinion.

CD is the better album, and I think most GN'R fans agree on that. Who will end up selling the most is rooted in some many different factors, and bottom line is an immaterial argument.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Brett wrote:

I'm not really looking to see a benchmark at all. I just don't think the double standards all the time are healthy. It just seems that anything Slash accomplishes always has some piss poor excuse and yet Chinese Democracy can sell 300k (supposedly) and now opinions have twisted. Thing is CD and Contraband are such vastly different albums it's silly to compare them. I'm just working on a sort of baseline from point A to point B and how some people just make up their own path when it's convenient.

I don't have a double standard about Slash. The question wasn't even about Slash, it was about VR. No one's bashing Slash here. CD is going to sell between 300K and 500K in week one, the final numbers are yet to be determined. The question was hypothetical.  I can't twist my opinion on the subject when there's no way to form one based on the existing numbers.

Personally, I like CD better than anything barring Izzy's post GNR work. I'm the winner in this situation, actually. You're the winner if you like VR.

I guess eventually we'll have to assign either VR or GNR a sales winner, but that doesn't mean anything, either way.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

I like CD better than Contraband by far.

It's not about a winner, it's about the way people go about expressing their opinions. There's nothing subjective about treating ideals fairly and if VR's sales were based on curiosity like so many say, the same would have to be said about GNR's eerily similar projected sales. Either that or they literally gained no new fans and just old Gunner fans bought it.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Brett wrote:

I like CD better than Contraband by far.

It's not about a winner, it's about the way people go about expressing their opinions. There's nothing subjective about treating ideals fairly and if VR's sales were based on curiosity like so many say, the same would have to be said about GNR's eerily similar projected sales. Either that or they literally gained no new fans and just old Gunner fans bought it.

Or... the music industry has further declined and people are buying less and downloading more.  There's sales figures to prove that.  It has been what 4 years since VR released CB.  Each year there is a drop in album sales.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Contraband and CD are both great records.

Long term I would expect CD to sell more because of the brand name. A kid in 2020 hears his great grandad's copy of AFD, thinks it's cool, so goes and buys the whole catalogue of the band. Same way people now might hear a doors song, a stones song or a beatles song and go buy them all. So it would make additional sales based not only on it's own quality but the strength of it's brothers.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
Saikin wrote:

You can't compare the two sales-wise.  People buy less albums than when Contraband came out.  Record sales have declined even further. 

And who cares?

Exactly. 5

I don't give two shits about how much it sells,I like some of the songs on the new album,and I also liked the stuff VR put out,so it doesn't matter to me at all,I do think that Chinese Democracy is a better album than Libertad,then again who doesn't.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
Brett wrote:

But, bri... not saying it's you, but people won't shut up about Libertad flopping and said VR got all their sales out of curiosity. Now CD flops and it's about the art. Well, Libertad was pretty personal to Weiland (was it not?), but he can't flop and GNR can? It's dirty pool all around. I hate when people are inconsistent when a new idea suddenly becomes more convenient for them to agree with. It's proven time and time again in the GNR world, mostly by anti-Slash guys who say he's never branched out (and he fucking has) because he doesn't think he's in NIN. When he does branch out, he's insulted.

Contraband was a good album, I don't like the vocals 1/2 the time, but it was. That's why it sold that many.

Although Libertad did flop because most of it sucked, Contraband was good. It was what the audience was looking for: AFD type pure hard rock.  Whereas IMO Libertad was a second rate post STP album heavily influenced by Scott.

Board footer