You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Thoughts On "Excuses"

bigbri wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I agree Neemo. Honestly, I can't believe how so many are cutting this thing loose after 7 days.

I was gonna mention something, but it's no use. Clearly, any positive remarks are gonna be shot down all over this forum. That's how it is. That's why I'm picking and choosing what threads to participate in, but it's pretty beleaguering when every thread turns into the same ol BS.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

cd was nothing more than to warm the world up for the comeback

look at afd...ise barely did anything it wasnt until later that they came on strong

CD was a decent single imo...first off it was the title trackm second it showed the world they werent the same band, with better coming out now most people think that is the heavy hitter on the album...next single will be a ballad

we're too quick to count our chickens before they hatch around here

AFD was a debute album from a band fighting to get played on radio. Axl's Gn'R and CD had radio slots handed to them on a  silver platter. there is no comparison to be made. Had AFD been handed that silver platter I'm sure their first two singles would've been hits as well but as the case was they weren't forced fed to the public. CD was force fed. It had instant recognition and hype and was given every opportunity to succeed. the reaction was lukewarm. I guess if the game plan was to "warm people up" to the comeback then it was pretty stupid gameplan. The world new about this. Every media outlet has been talking about this thing forever. There was no need  to warm anybody up. Buttering up the public is a stupid game plan.  Better shoudl've been the first single. They should've tried to hit hard and hit fast in this day and age. A warm up period? I don't see the rational in that Neemo. hmm

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

bigbri wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I agree Neemo. Honestly, I can't believe how so many are cutting this thing loose after 7 days.

I was gonna mention something, but it's no use. Clearly, any positive remarks are gonna be shot down all over this forum. That's how it is. That's why I'm picking and choosing what threads to participate in, but it's pretty beleaguering when every thread turns into the same ol BS.

I am bleeding with ya.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I don't think people are necessarily "cutting it loose".

The current musical era is dominated by singles and ring tones. Its an instant gratification society. They want it, and they want it now. Joe Public isn't likely to sit through an album like this when he can just easily go download the hot new single on Itunes, or download the album that single came from.

Its not like the old days. Remember 'Girl Power' in 97-98? That Spice Girls cd was actually released in 96. Remember the Gin Blossoms craze in 94? That album was released in 1992. The current climate wont hardly allow for an album to build in stature like that. Take a look at the Billboards charts.

There are exceptions to the current rule though. Buckcherry got a second wind last year, and M.I.A. got a second wind this year when Paper Planes took off.

This could go either way, but its no surprise people are taking a safe bet.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Bono wrote:

There was no need  to warm anybody up. Buttering up the public is a stupid game plan.  Better shoudl've been the first single. They should've tried to hit hard and hit fast in this day and age. A warm up period? I don't see the rational in that Neemo. hmm

neither do i 16 ...the only thing that i do know is that they wanted a rocker out first..they chose CD...its the most straight forward rocker track on the album...

IRS got some leaked air play in early 06 the average listener response was less than favorable, to quote james, Shackler's Revenge went over about as well as a bag of dog shit

If the world is too funky to be played on rock radio, TWAT is too long...you start to run out of options real fast, so what do you do? put out ballads first? you lose interest to the rock crowd, no you release a rocker, and come back with a better rocker then you brigde the gap and bring the chicks in with a heart felt ballad ... to me it makes sense

anyway i trust that gnr has a team in place to provide a marketing strategy. but you never come out strongest first...if you do then you will never be able to one up yourself...look at VR. Set me free first, then Slither...then FTP...then things got a bit shakey after that...still the album went nearly triple platinum in the states and estimated sales of 4 million world wide...not too shabby wink

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Bono wrote:

There was no need  to warm anybody up. Buttering up the public is a stupid game plan.  Better shoudl've been the first single. They should've tried to hit hard and hit fast in this day and age. A warm up period? I don't see the rational in that Neemo. hmm

neither do i 16 ...the only thing that i do know is that they wanted a rocker out first..they chose CD...its the most straight forward rocker track on the album...

IRS got some leaked air play in early 06 the average listener response was less than favorable, to quote james, Shackler's Revenge went over about as well as a bag of dog shit

If the world is too funky to be played on rock radio, TWAT is too long...you start to run out of options real fast, so what do you do? put out ballads first? you lose interest to the rock crowd, no you release a rocker, and come back with a better rocker then you brigde the gap and bring the chicks in with a heart felt ballad ... to me it makes sense

anyway i trust that gnr has a team in place to provide a marketing strategy. but you never come out strongest first...if you do then you will never be able to one up yourself...look at VR. Set me free first, then Slither...then FTP...then things got a bit shakey after that...still the album went nearly triple platinum in the states and estimated sales of 4 million world wide...not too shabby wink

I honestly believe the ONLY reason Chinese Democracy was chosen as the first single is because it's called Chinese Democracy.  People had heard that a new GNR album called Chinese Democracy was coming for years and it never had.  How do you convince people that it's real, you put put the song where they say the words on the radio everytime they introduce it.

I don't think it was any more thought out than that.  For better or for worse.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

No need for excuses until we see failure.  This isn't the popular opinion but I honestly don't see this as a commercial failure, at least not yet.  Kanye had a couple hundred more thousand sales BUT with his album being available everywhere whereas GNR had the Best Buy exclusive of course he would sale more.  He also has every teenager buying his ablum the first week at Wally World or wherever.  I don't have a problem wth the album making it or not because I (at least for the most part) like it.  I do think no Better video would be suicide and the lack of real promo was crazy but that doesn't mean much. We'll know by Christmas if it is a failure or not.  Right now nobody really knows anything.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
killingvector wrote:

I don't think people are necessarily "cutting it loose".

The current musical era is dominated by singles and ring tones. Its an instant gratification society. They want it, and they want it now. Joe Public isn't likely to sit through an album like this when he can just easily go download the hot new single on Itunes, or download the album that single came from.

Its not like the old days. Remember 'Girl Power' in 97-98? That Spice Girls cd was actually released in 96. Remember the Gin Blossoms craze in 94? That album was released in 1992. The current climate wont hardly allow for an album to build in stature like that. Take a look at the Billboards charts.

There are exceptions to the current rule though. Buckcherry got a second wind last year, and M.I.A. got a second wind this year when Paper Planes took off.

This could go either way, but its no surprise people are taking a safe bet.

That is true about albums getting the second win. But MIA had Paper Planes and she also had mainstream rappers sampling her shit as well. Buckcherry had "Crazy Bitch" which took on a life of it's own. Kid Rock is another and he did it without itunes. He is over 2 million off of that All Summer Long song. Chinese Democracy doesn't have that wide spread appeal to any of the songs and that's one of the main reasons I don't think it has staying power.

It's not a question if I dig and enjoy the album it is just what I think will happen to it regarding sales.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

I'm also on the boat where it's not that I enjoy the album or am writing it off early, but I'm looking at things from a proven point of view. Nowadays, tons of albums sell on release date and at the very least, the sales prove that no one is going to go out of their way on an unproven GNR album. I realize a BB exclusive could hurt it (anyone know how long it's exclusive?) in the short run, but still, it doesn't seem like people are going to blind buy on name like we expected. I'm worried that with people's short attention spans in today's world that by the time it's not an exclusive, no one will care.

A lot of key factors (a video, promos, an interview and mainstream acceptance of at least one single) need to happen before the album can live up to sales expectations, and in my mind, it just doesn't look like it's going to happen. I know Americans don't really watch music videos on TV anymore, but in Canada people still check out the MuchMusic Countdown and there's even channels that exclusively play videos. GNR is worldwide and videos we've yet to see could really help world sales.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

it just doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Given a lackluster promotional campaign thus far, do you think the album could generate strong second, third, fourth week. . .  sales if a strong single is released, a video, an Axl interview, appearances, and eventually a tour?

Board footer