You are not logged in. Please register or login.

WeTheLiving
 Rep: 10 

Re: Thoughts On "Excuses"

WeTheLiving wrote:

You may be correct in your educated guess, however, this is predicated upon the assumed fact that people will like the material (the general public) after this initial burst in sales due to the 10 year hype and the diehard fans buying the album. We will just have to wait and see. This first week has nothing to do with the material, it was a guaranteed burst of sales due to die hard fans, and the curiosity factor that this album has generated over a decade. The test of the material itself is coming in the next few weeks, if people like it, it will continue to sell. If they dont like it, and dont accept this as GNR, sales will drastically dwindle in the coming weeks.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

If CD had sold well, people would be all over the place going "look at the massive sales. GN'R is back. Axl is GN'R. He showed them, he's the king".... but now that CD isn't taking off, people are all like "who fuckin' cares what it sales".

It's only a cop out statement to avoid the truth. It's a bomb, financially, but we've known that for years... now it's also a COMMERCIAL bomb.

Leaves Axl back at the drawing board. There's the significance of it being discussed. It's also not going to "grow". Get a clue, it's 2008, not 1988.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

If CD had sold well, people would be all over the place going "look at the massive sales. GN'R is back. Axl is GN'R. He showed them, he's the king".... but now that CD isn't taking off, people are all like "who fuckin' cares what it sales".

I hope that wasn't directed at me, because I hope I've been around enough to show people I'm not a nutswinger.

I truly don't care what CD sells. I have it. I never thought I would. Bonus for me: Bucket put his stamp all over it.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
killingvector wrote:
Bono wrote:

At what point did I say I wanna shove it in other fans faces. Get a grip.

I'm just a bit annoyed how suddenly sales don't mean shit and every excuse in the book is being used to justify why the sales weren't spectacular when hasd it been the other way aroudn parades would be planned to celebrate Gn'R's chart topping performance.

since from day one on these boards I've argued with people who still think Axl and the Gn'R name carry just as much weight as the name U2 so.......  It's like put your money where your mouth is.

16 Did you honestly quote this thinking it proves your point? You've got to be kididng. What I'm saying Killingvector is sales don't matter to Guns fans now because it's convenient. But had the sales gone through the roof they'd sure as hell matter. Gn'R fans using or not using sales depending on what's convenient.

As for the U2 comment well if you've got fanboys who would go to their grave saying Axl and Gn'R are a bigger name in music than U2  than the sales should support that. That's what I'm saying. I'm not here to say "na na a boo boo, U2's more popular"  People with common sense know that's the case so why should I care to bring that up? I'm just saying if the Gn'R name is as big and popular as people were saying than the sales would reflect that. As it turns out people aren't stupid and know this ain't Gn'R.

killingvector wrote:

Get a grip.  yeah the first seven days for a massively anticipated album with a name as big as Guns N' Roses attatche to it. You do the math

You should do the math too. We have 24 days until Christmas. Still a good amount of time in the shopping season for the album to sell strong over a long period of time.

yeah and after Christmas we'll have what? 42 days or so untill Axl's birthday. I think you know what I'm saying. Sales are even less than previously projected so stop with the "wait and see" we all know how album sales work.

*Disclaimer: The preceding was pure speculation and opinion of gnrevolution forum memebr Bono. The views expressed by Bono are not necessarily shared by this site or any of it's administrators.

Bono

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:
Bono wrote:

since from day one on these boards I've argued with people who still think Axl and the Gn'R name carry just as much weight as the name U2 so.......  It's like put your money where your mouth is.

I think you arew misconstruing things here...the argument that i remember about U2 vs GnR was in the early 90's and Actung Baby vs Use Your Illusions

and i am still of the opinion that there was no bigger act at that time than GnR including U2...as for present day .... U2 is a bigger act for sure, but they have also released 4 albums and are working on a 5th as we speak, while Axl lay dormant in Malibu....U2 stayed relevant during the late 90's and 00's while gnr faded into obscurity

I also have to ask again what benchmark are we comparing CD to to consider it a failure? The nutswinging fanboys who had their expectations out in outerspace? Gimme a break...debuting 2nd on the charts is pretty damn good for a rock act when there are big names from more popular genres coming out at the same time

No Neemo I've delt with it for years on all sites. Not so much this one though. Dellusional fans who think Gn'R is bigger even in this day and age.  I used to believe Gn'R was the biggest without question back in 1991 but it's not as unanimous as you'd think. I used to argue alot on U2 sites that Gn'R was bigger but in fact U2 fans make a real strong case that U2 was the bigger band even then.  I could dig out all the info if people want but this wasn't my intentions.

I think the benchmark for CD Neemo was set with AC/DC and Metallica this year.  Some will say that's not fair but I think it's more than fair. This all boils down to sales only  though. I'll take CD over Metallica's new album anyday. AC/DC though pretty much delivered  a true AC/DC album. I'm not a big AC/DC fan and I'd still take CD over their album but AC/DC made an album that sounds like AC/DC an album their fans will love, the public will love and thats' about it. Gn'R didn't even make an album their fans can agree on so.....

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

the people who know "this isn't gnr" are mostly who bought the album though.

we knew going in that they were gonna have to pick up some new fans to replace the ones that have died, and the ones that have grown up and started listening to elton john or something like that, or downloaded the album because they want to save their money for christmas presents for their kids, etc....  yet gnr haven't so much as extended an arm out to these potential new fans.

if all of the "where's slash" fans that didn't buy the album only because of the lineup went to best buy and bought it tomorrow i don't think it would make that much of a difference

i'm not saying that slash and duff not being on the album isn't a factor
i'm just saying it's not the biggest factor

Bono

Bono wrote:
war wrote:

the people who say "this isn't gnr" are mostly who bought the album though.

we knew going in that they were gonna have to pick up some new fans to replace the ones that have died, and the ones that have grown up and started listening to elton john or something like that, or downloaded the album because they want to save their money for christmas presents for their kids, etc....  gnr haven't so much as extended an arm out to these potential new fans.

if all of the "where's slash" fans that didn't buy the album only because of the lineup went to best buy and bought it tomorrow i don't think it would make that much of a difference

Fair enough. Maybe not.  But if all the music buyers who didn't like Chinese Democracy or what they heard off the myspace site went out and bought the album you'd have some massive sales in my opinion. I think the album has been out there enough for people to know whether it's something they like or not. I know that 75 people to a man at the Manchester Police department LOVE it.  I wonder if they all bought it.  I think what you'll find is the people who don't like it will say "it's not the same without Slash" Even if they don't know if that's why they don't like it. Most people don't care about chord progessions and how the drummer keeps time or song structure in any way. What they do know is that it's a Gn'R without Slash and if they like it cool but if they don't the majority fo the casual listeners will say it's because there's no Slash.  Whether that's a legit reason or not doesn't really matter. VR for the most part sold what it did because of Slash. They didn't sell because of Scott or Duff . I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think there's alot of people who have no interest in Gn'R withouth Slash.  Maybe I'm wrong.  hmm

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

CD had so many factors going against it so it's hard to point out one thing, but if I had to point out it would be the point Bono just made. I think Black Ice is an inferior album to CD, but it sold more because AC/DC made the type of album their hardcore fans could appreciate. Most importantly, the lead single is a hit song that sounds like classic AC/DC.

CD is a departure from the sound that the old fans fell in love with and it's not the same band so it alienates the old fans. It also lacks the hits to create new fans. Right or wrong AFD part 2 probably would have been more successful.

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

i do believe axl and the gn'r camp are always full of excuses but not me. at first i thought that cd would outdo kanye but it makes perfest sence that it will not. i wish i didn't like axl so much sometimes. i am one of the biggest axl fans out there and even i feel uncomfortable refering to this as gn'r. so much time has passed and the fans that fell in love with appetite are my age or older. not exactly the album buyers. i happen to love cd but it has no super catchy single. not even " better. " no doubt u2, metallica, ac/dc, kanye and many, many others would have outdone this album if it went head to head. all things considering number 2 or 3 isn't so bad i guess. i wasn't expecting huge sales but i was hoping.

Board footer