You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Re: Thoughts On "Excuses"

Brett wrote:

The same bullshit happened back when I was into video games. Xbox was on top and everyone praised their sales, the Wii came out and trounced it and then it was all about quality, sales didn't mean shit.

Few things irritate me more than this type of behavior. And, I'm sure someone will reply saying all I worry about is sales insinuating that's what I and others who have spoken out do, but there's no need because we both know that's not the case. Anti-Slashers don't need to put false beliefs on our heads because they can't admit there is a major problem.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Bono wrote:
war wrote:

the people who say "this isn't gnr" are mostly who bought the album though.

we knew going in that they were gonna have to pick up some new fans to replace the ones that have died, and the ones that have grown up and started listening to elton john or something like that, or downloaded the album because they want to save their money for christmas presents for their kids, etc....  gnr haven't so much as extended an arm out to these potential new fans.

if all of the "where's slash" fans that didn't buy the album only because of the lineup went to best buy and bought it tomorrow i don't think it would make that much of a difference

Fair enough. Maybe not.  But if all the music buyers who didn't like Chinese Democracy or what they heard off the myspace site went out and bought the album you'd have some massive sales in my opinion. I think the album has been out there enough for people to know whether it's something they like or not. I know that 75 people to a man at the Manchester Police department LOVE it.  I wonder if they all bought it.  I think what you'll find is the people who don't like it will say "it's not the same without Slash" Even if they don't know if that's why they don't like it. Most people don't care about chord progessions and how the drummer keeps time or song structure in any way. What they do know is that it's a Gn'R without Slash and if they like it cool but if they don't the majority fo the casual listeners will say it's because there's no Slash.  Whether that's a legit reason or not doesn't really matter. VR for the most part sold what it did because of Slash. They didn't sell because of Scott or Duff . I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think there's alot of people who have no interest in Gn'R withouth Slash.  Maybe I'm wrong.  hmm

i think you're right also
like i said, it's definitely a factor

and karma for seeing my point while maintaining yours - there's probably a lot of truth to what we are both thinking

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Bono wrote:

No Neemo I've delt with it for years on all sites. Not so much this one though. Dellusional fans who think Gn'R is bigger even in this day and age.  I used to believe Gn'R was the biggest without question back in 1991 but it's not as unanimous as you'd think. I used to argue alot on U2 sites that Gn'R was bigger but in fact U2 fans make a real strong case that U2 was the bigger band even then.  I could dig out all the info if people want but this wasn't my intentions.

well looking at the numbers from the RIAA

Achtung Baby
Released Nov 19, 1991
GOLD Jan 21, 1992
PLATINUM Jan 21, 1992
2.00x MULTI PLATINUM Jan 21, 1992
3.00x MULTI PLATINUM Mar 03, 1992
4.00x MULTI PLATINUM Sept16, 1992
5.00x MULTI PLATINUM August 26, 1993
7.00x MULTI PLATINUM Sept 06, 1995
8.00x MULTI PLATINUM Oct 24, 1997

Use Your Illusion (I / II)
Released Sept 17, 1991
GOLD Nov 19, 1991
PLATINUM Nov 19, 1991
2.00x MULTI PLATINUM Nov 19, 1991
3.00x MULTI PLATINUM Jan 07, 1992 / Dec 02, 1991
4.00x MULTI PLATINUM Nov 02, 1992 / Oct, 12, 1992
5.00x MULTI PLATINUM Oct 18, 1994 / Sept 13, 1994
6.00x MULTI PLATINUM Feb 10, 1995
7.00x MULTI PLATINUM July 16, 1997

Looks like they were dead even until about 93 or 94....thats when U2 started to break away

Bono wrote:

I think the benchmark for CD Neemo was set with AC/DC and Metallica this year.  Some will say that's not fair but I think it's more than fair. This all boils down to sales only  though. I'll take CD over Metallica's new album anyday. AC/DC though pretty much delivered  a true AC/DC album. I'm not a big AC/DC fan and I'd still take CD over their album but AC/DC made an album that sounds like AC/DC an album their fans will love, the public will love and thats' about it. Gn'R didn't even make an album their fans can agree on so.....

yeah maybe those albums should be a benchmark, but both of them were also were released on the back of a tour, but i agree with AC/DC its like traveling back into 1982 with that single

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

well looking at the numbers from the RIAA

Achtung Baby
Released Nov 19, 1991
GOLD Jan 21, 1992
PLATINUM Jan 21, 1992
2.00x MULTI PLATINUM Jan 21, 1992
3.00x MULTI PLATINUM Mar 03, 1992
4.00x MULTI PLATINUM Sept16, 1992
5.00x MULTI PLATINUM August 26, 1993
7.00x MULTI PLATINUM Sept 06, 1995
8.00x MULTI PLATINUM Oct 24, 1997

Use Your Illusion (I / II)
Released Sept 17, 1991
GOLD Nov 19, 1991
PLATINUM Nov 19, 1991
2.00x MULTI PLATINUM Nov 19, 1991
3.00x MULTI PLATINUM Jan 07, 1992 / Dec 02, 1991
4.00x MULTI PLATINUM Nov 02, 1992 / Oct, 12, 1992
5.00x MULTI PLATINUM Oct 18, 1994 / Sept 13, 1994
6.00x MULTI PLATINUM Feb 10, 1995
7.00x MULTI PLATINUM July 16, 1997

Looks like they were dead even until about 93 or 94....thats when U2 started to break away

yeah maybe those albums(AC/DC & Metallica) should be a benchmark, but both of them were also were released on the back of a tour, but i agree with AC/DC its like traveling back into 1982 with that single

5 Nice find on the album sales Neemo. Not to mention Zooropa(released in 1993) sold upwards of 8 million copies itself. Another real telling stat is the touring stuff. I thought the Illusion tours were the biggest by far but as it turns out they were simply the longest. U2 played to bigger crowds with a better sellout ratio if I'm not mistaken. I never believed it untill I had U2 fans basically proving it too me.  Back in 1991-1994 in my world Gn'R was so above and beyond anyone else it seemed.

And no doubt a  tour helps big time. You always pick up the album before the concert so you know the songs. At least I do.  Maybe when Gn'R tours in 2011 CD sales will spike 16

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

If CD had sold well, people would be all over the place going "look at the massive sales. GN'R is back. Axl is GN'R. He showed them, he's the king".... but now that CD isn't taking off, people are all like "who fuckin' cares what it sales".

I hope that wasn't directed at me, because I hope I've been around enough to show people I'm not a nutswinger.

I truly don't care what CD sells. I have it. I never thought I would. Bonus for me: Bucket put his stamp all over it.

It wasn't directed at you personally bri. It was an in-general statement. It's being said all over the place, and as a long-timer myself, I know the boards, I know the community, i've watched it since 2001, and i'd bet my life, that's how they'd be reacting, had CD been a big instant smash, #1, etc.

As for your opinions on the album, I agree 100%. The album is awesome, I love it, and it's even sweeter knowing Bucket is all over it something us Bucket fans feared wouldn't come true. And even better, the Bucket stuff Ron redid, was well done, and not butchered.

It turned out really well artistically.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Bono wrote:

I know that 75 people to a man at the Manchester Police department LOVE it.  I wonder if they all bought it.

No, not all of them have bought it, but this isn't a buy only first week option. There is plenty of time for people who have heard selections and liked what they heard to buy it, just as there are people who haven't heard enough of the album or heard that one particular track which gets in your noodle to hook them in.

We are 7 days in. Give it time and stop championing doom because of what some 'delusional' authors on a message board declared.

hink what you'll find is the people who don't like it will say "it's not the same without Slash"

And there are probably more people who just haven't found the motivation to go and buy it.

AC DC cornered the accessibility market by going with Wal Mart; GnR's exclusive deal demands a little extra effort on the part of the consumer which makes this whole media silence campaign shocking imo.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

It turned out really well artistically.

well the album tanked financially but its really cool artistically...i was just reminded of the old cliche... Dman that chick is ugly but she has a "good personality" 16

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
bigbri wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

If CD had sold well, people would be all over the place going "look at the massive sales. GN'R is back. Axl is GN'R. He showed them, he's the king".... but now that CD isn't taking off, people are all like "who fuckin' cares what it sales".

I hope that wasn't directed at me, because I hope I've been around enough to show people I'm not a nutswinger.

I truly don't care what CD sells. I have it. I never thought I would. Bonus for me: Bucket put his stamp all over it.

It wasn't directed at you personally bri. It was an in-general statement. It's being said all over the place.

Thanks. Unfortunately, people who aren't crying that the sky is falling are getting lumped into this category when people generalize. I say what I say because it's how I've always felt not because I'm a backtracking Axlite.

It's like there are two sides to this. There isn't. There are three. I'm in the "I don't care" boat.

Board footer