You are not logged in. Please register or login.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Re: Thoughts On "Excuses"

James Lofton wrote:

They should just avoid excuses and move forward. Tons of albums don't sell well and/or have botched promotion. My favorite album this year is Santogold, and its a good example. Barely made it into the Top 200 and dropped off the radar immediately afterward. One of her tracks was even getting a push by Budweiser. She(and her record label) dropped the ball big time. That doesn't take away from the quality of that album. Disappointing that it wasn't huge, but that's the way the mop flops.

Ummm, we barely have one week sales numbers. If you are proclaiming it a flop already, you  may regret that quick judgment later.

I freely admit the first week projections are dire, but given the BB deal, lack of any promotion, video, decent single, the numbers are what they are.

If there is a tour coming, the plan may have always been looking long term. I will gladly give up the top spot in week 1 to Kanye to outsell him long term.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Yeah they should come out swinging at themselves and the lack of back up this album got from Axl Rose. I don't see how people think this album will sell long term if there are big promotions in the works. The verdict is out and the public isn't going to buy something they dislike just because a tour is in the works. It may sell in the beginning of the tour but it will fade off. It doesn't have the staying power.

killingvector

BLS-Pride wrote:

Yeah they should come out swinging at themselves and the lack of back up this album got from Axl Rose. I don't see how people think this album will sell long term if there are big promotions in the works. The verdict is out and the public isn't going to buy something they dislike just because a tour is in the works. It may sell in the beginning of the tour but it will fade off. It doesn't have the staying power.

You are making a colossal leap here by assuming the product has been rejected immediately. What verdict is out? Reviews have been generally good.

The fact is that the band literally has no public face out there. They are not making appearances, doing shows, attending award shows . . . nada. The basic elements of this promotion have been a cardboard knockdown, a couple of commercials, and a myspace stream.

Give the public the benefit of the doubt; they may simply have not heard the new music or even the album's best music. Because the album is located only at one exclusive retailer, unless they are motivated to go and find it, they probably won't make the effort unless their paths cross.

I give Gould/Azoff a lot of leeway here. They are far from amateurs when it comes to these type of business deals. If a tour and a video are in the works, I am willing to wait and see what the media blitz is.

But I am not willing to waive the white flag after a week's sales. This album could catch fire with a strong single, a video, and a media push from the redhead. I'll take a strong long term sales forcast to a one off win over West and the killers.

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:

The public has heard it bro. Over 8 millions listens on Myspace, downloading of the leaks and actual album, radio stations playing it in full over weekends and different tracks. The music is out there for Joe Average too listen too and he has. Reviews mean shit when it comes down too it. Rolling Stone gave it four stars.. They also gave St. Anger four stars. The public has been speaking and it is not in favor of the new sound and direction of Guns N' Roses. There is no "strong" single. Maybe Better has a chance but it has been playing around here for a while now and it's not catching on fire. I want this album to do well but for me personally I just don't see it happening. Not with this group of songs. Axl can only push this thing so far when and if he goes public it will forever rest on the music itself and from point of view and what I have read and heard is not strong enough or what the public wants and is looking for.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

the 82 million (Not 8) myspace listens proves there is interest in the material but it is way too early to say that it can be used against gnr as proof that people are hearing and not liking the material. i've been waiting for this album since 2000 and i just picked up my copy yesterday. if it were at wal mart or somewhere else i would have gotten it sooner but i wasn't gonna make a special trip when i could hear it for free on myspace.

based on the radio stations playing new gnr we pretty much know rock music fans are the ones buying the album and they are also the ones that are potentially gonna have issues with the lineup, not mainstream listeners who mostly won't know the difference. so it is rediculous to say this is a flop and cite the lineup as the reason.

i am actually a little disturbed some of you are attributing the alledged lack of quality to the non-blockbuster sales. even if the quality is not there (which i completely disagree with) the mediocre/dime a dozen music that is currently toppping the charts proves it has nothing to do with that.

cd is selling very well for a rock album right now. if you expect more you are setting unfair goals for cd. rock music is dead people. the only way this album is gonna make a spectacular run is if they have something special planned that we do not know about to promote their next couple singles and those singles need to find a way to appeal to the mainstream public.

you guys can bash me all you want but Catcher in the Rye and Street of Dreams are their best shots at appealing to the majority.

killingvector

BLS-Pride wrote:

The public has heard it bro. Over 8 millions listens on Myspace, downloading of the leaks and actual album, radio stations playing it in full over weekends and different tracks. The music is out there for Joe Average too listen too and he has. Reviews mean shit when it comes down too it. Rolling Stone gave it four stars.. They also gave St. Anger four stars. The public has been speaking and it is not in favor of the new sound and direction of Guns N' Roses. There is no "strong" single. Maybe Better has a chance but it has been playing around here for a while now and it's not catching on fire. I want this album to do well but for me personally I just don't see it happening. Not with this group of songs. Axl can only push this thing so far when and if he goes public it will forever rest on the music itself and from point of view and what I have read and heard is not strong enough or what the public wants and is looking for.

I don't agree with your assertion that enough of the American public has heard this record and decided that they will not buy it. There is no evidence that is true.

Well, 8 million hits. That number includes many of the people who bought the album listening multiple times before the album came out as well as people streaming who have not bought the album because the stream is free. It is not a huge sample size from which to base this judgment especially since I went to the myspace site more than 50 times in the days before the release.

I understand your skepticism but you have in two posts discounted the effect of a tour, publicity, and a solid single. Well, my friend, those are the three essential elements to the marketing campaign of any album. If they don't matter then there is no reason for any band to do it.

Most people have not heard Better and its success may surprise you. Along with Scraped, I think these are two solid singles on this record.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

there are more "hits" on some youtube vids..
and some of those are down right shit

BLS-Pride

BLS-Pride wrote:
killingvector wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

I don't agree with your assertion that enough of the American public has heard this record and decided that they will not buy it. There is no evidence that is true.

Well, 8 million hits. That number includes many of the people who bought the album listening multiple times before the album came out as well as people streaming who have not bought the album because the stream is free. It is not a huge sample size from which to base this judgment especially since I went to the myspace site more than 50 times in the days before the release.

I understand your skepticism but you have in two posts discounted the effect of a tour, publicity, and a solid single. Well, my friend, those are the three essential elements to the marketing campaign of any album. If they don't matter then there is no reason for any band to do it.

Most people have not heard Better and its success may surprise you. Along with Scraped, I think these are two solid singles on this record.

I hope you are right dude. But this is the same band that toured under the "Chinese Democracy" banner before. Do you think that ticket sales will be much greater than the past tours? Outside of the United States where GNR were considered more accepted than in the USA the first week sales aren't as strong as people hoped. This day and age first week is real important not a lot of records stay on the charts without a catchy single. The greater NY area has been listening to Better for weeks now on the radio. K-Rock, Q103.4, and a local NJ station have been playing it. I am sure its been played in other areas too. And Axl is going gain interest there is no doubt in that but will it be enough to keep selling the album? The Myspace record is important. 84 million listens equals 300,000 actual album sales in the states?! That not good in my eyes. Not good at all. This was also the week of black friday.  But the public has heard the material man.. Radio was ripping it up the week before it's release.. Maybe not enough people to judge the album sales as a whole but enough to get an idea of where this thing is going to go. I'm not trying to be negative but I am calling it how I am seeing it at this moment. I would be more than happy to eat my words later down the road.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
war wrote:

the 82 million (Not 8) myspace listens proves there is interest in the material but it is way too early to say that it can be used against gnr as proof that people are hearing and not liking the material. i've been waiting for this album since 2000 and i just picked up my copy yesterday. if it were at wal mart or somewhere else i would have gotten it sooner but i wasn't gonna make a special trip when i could hear it for free on myspace.

based on the radio stations playing new gnr we pretty much know rock music fans are the ones buying the album and they are also the ones that are potentially gonna have issues with the lineup, not mainstream listeners who mostly won't know the difference. so it is rediculous to say this is a flop and cite the lineup as the reason.

i am actually a little disturbed some of you are attributing the alledged lack of quality to the non-blockbuster sales. even if the quality is not there (which i completely disagree with) the mediocre/dime a dozen music that is currently toppping the charts proves it has nothing to do with that.

cd is selling very well for a rock album right now. if you expect more you are setting unfair goals for cd. rock music is dead people. the only way this album is gonna make a spectacular run is if they have something special planned that we do not know about to promote their next couple singles and those singles need to find a way to appeal to the mainstream public.

you guys can bash me all you want but Catcher in the Rye and Street of Dreams are their best shots at appealing to the majority.

You're fucking kidding right? 14

Rock music is as big as it's been in eons right now. Artists like Hinder & Nickelback (shudder) are huge draws, and novelty acts like Van Halen, Aerosmith, Motley Crue, KISS, and heck even Poison have toured to big support from loyal crowds.

Legendary acts such as AC/DC & Metallica have both released new albums and toured to strong support, with AC/DC seeing a huge backing, by BIG record sales (a Wal-Mart exclusive too), as well as good concert sales.

Don't tell me rock is dead. Rock is more alive now, than in 2002. Axl took a big whiff at the plate in the bottom of the 9th, strike out, game over. Time to deal with reality

Board footer