You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: A theory on Axl's silence...pure speculation.

monkeychow wrote:

This might be an odd or old thought to everyone else....but does anyone know what the time limit is on the Best Buy exclusive?

Is it the situation where BB gets a window where they only have it - and then the album goes public to other stores?

IF that's the case....then what about this.....the best buy presale money is used to pay back the debt to the label or record companys or whatever....

Other than GNR acknowlging the release on it's website and so on - Axl doesn't do any promotion of it to push those sales...because they are already locked in...however many that BB has purchased...and the bulk of that money is paying the debts involved.

But Axl has also put up substantial amounts of his own dollars into the project....when the window closes....Axl begins promotion of the album in the 'normal' way - gives a few interviews - maybe release a special edition or something to all other stores. Then he gets his own money paid back to maximum effect. And you get a double bang in sales - the diehards go to best buy - and people attracted from that - but he picks up all the casual sales...

I could be totally full of shit...it just came into my head as one explaniation for the whole thing playing out the way it is.

THEN AGAIN...maybe Axl is just done with the media and we need to ask ourselves why he would choose to prostitute himself...and realise he perhaps isn't and that's why he doesn't bang the drum.

Master plan or just not into promotion? Time will tell i guess!

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Interesting theory.. I'd guess it's something like a 3 month window, so we'll see. Only problem is once an albums been out for a while it's really hard to later on boost sales.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Best Buy isn't even advertising it anymore.  I looked at this weeks ad and it isn't even mentioned in the ad while other albums that have been out are.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

This might be an odd or old thought to everyone else....but does anyone know what the time limit is on the Best Buy exclusive?

Is it the situation where BB gets a window where they only have it - and then the album goes public to other stores?

IF that's the case....then what about this.....the best buy presale money is used to pay back the debt to the label or record companys or whatever....

Other than GNR acknowlging the release on it's website and so on - Axl doesn't do any promotion of it to push those sales...because they are already locked in...however many that BB has purchased...and the bulk of that money is paying the debts involved.

But Axl has also put up substantial amounts of his own dollars into the project....when the window closes....Axl begins promotion of the album in the 'normal' way - gives a few interviews - maybe release a special edition or something to all other stores. Then he gets his own money paid back to maximum effect. And you get a double bang in sales - the diehards go to best buy - and people attracted from that - but he picks up all the casual sales...

I could be totally full of shit...it just came into my head as one explaniation for the whole thing playing out the way it is.

THEN AGAIN...maybe Axl is just done with the media and we need to ask ourselves why he would choose to prostitute himself...and realise he perhaps isn't and that's why he doesn't bang the drum.

Master plan or just not into promotion? Time will tell i guess!

I was thinking this very thing lately. I think that this is the route being taken. Once it hits gen release he will promote. This is why there is speccial edition coming out once the bb presale window closes

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

I really wouldnt be suprised if Jarmo pops up with an Axl interview. He's been in LA for a little while now.
I remember he interviewed Tommy a few years back for HTGTH.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

my theory is that the promotion/busines plan is not over but will be spread out in attempt to make this album a longer standing success in times of shorter album stints. bb deal is to cover the debt as mentioned and is set to last through the bulk of the shopping season at which time cd will be sold everyhwere and more promotion with it.

R.B. Huckleberry
 Rep: 2 

I saw a TV commercial for it just last night. Around 8 o'clock (Prime Time). That ain't cheap!

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

My theory is that they are trying to fool the general public into thinking it's old GN'R.

It's just smart business. Bait and switch.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

The general public knows it's not old GNR anymore. It's all over radio and the internet, and the media. People have known about new GNR since 01/02.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

SOME people know.

Every casual I run into, talks about Slash, and I still have to inform them, he's been out of the band for over 10 years, and they are stunned.

Not everyone caught the VMA performance in 2002, and really if you didn't, unless you're a diehard - why would you know? GNR's majority purchaser will be the casual, not the diehard. The casual just sees the brand name - GUNS N' ROSES - and assumes Axl & Slash.

Board footer