You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bazgnr
 Rep: 4 

Re: Brain & Frank - a question about the album credits

bazgnr wrote:

I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere:  does anyone know how exactly it works when Brain & Frank both have drumming credits on the same song?  There are several examples in the album to choose from, and it has me curious.

In "Better," for example, did Brain write the parts and Frank recorded them?  Did they both record?  If so, how exactly did that play out in the album version?

Again, just curious and would appreciate everyone's perspective.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

No, it means they are BOTH on the track.

Frank gets sole credit on drums for CD (the song), and it was written by Josh Freese, and also recorded by Brain, and also later recorded and tweaked by Frank (the heavier sound).

bazgnr
 Rep: 4 

bazgnr wrote:

That just seems so...unusual to have two different drummers playing what is essentially one drum part on a given track.  I'm not at all complaining, as I love the songs and the overall sound of the record.  Has anyone dissected the tracks as to who plays drums on which parts?

And thanks for the answer, by the way!

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I know, it's weird. But those are the mixes, and that's how Axl & Caram did it.

Realize in the liner notes, when it says 'guitars', that means ALL of those guys are on the song, just buried in the mix.

If you go listen to CD (the song), which is a good example on guitars, there's one guitar solo, but the first half is done by Robin, and the second half is done by Bucket.

Drums are no different. The only difference is, there's no distinct sound to Brain or Frank, so it's hard to tell when each of them kick on on those 'mutual' songs. I just assume that when you hear that more 'hip hop'-ish sound, it's Brain, and a more straight rock rhythm drum sound, are Frank. I really don't know, it's hard to pick them out of the mix.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

In the section of IRS where Axl starts singing "feeling like I've done way more than wrong" etc, I think the music in that section has been rerecorded with Ron as the main gutarist and Frank on drums. Then it goes back to the original version after Axl says "...like a broken record for so long..."

I noticed it sounded different on first listen, and I'm positive its been cut n pasted into the song.
I dont know why they never just rerecorded the whole song instead of pasting the new in with the old.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Honestly Olorin, I think because the history of the new band, have created splintered factions even within the NEW Guns fanbase.

Some fans want Bucket & Brain's stuff intact, while other fans want Ron & Frank's contributions. Axl ended up going with a mixture, which ended up being a good move. Frank owns CD, yet Brain is still allowed to shine on Shackler's and several other tracks, Bucket's epic guitar solos in songs like TWAT & Sorry remain, and Ron shows off his amazing skills doing the solos in Shackler's & Riad.

It's a buffet for the new GN'R fan. Although in hind sight, I might've had Ron redo most of Robin's stuff, and possibly had Bucket on This I Love during the solo, over Robin. After hearing that Sorry solo, i'm sure Bucket would've nailed This I Love.

estrangedpaul
 Rep: 5 

It looks like Robin and Caram Constanzo done the drum arrangement for Better - presumably they programmed the drums we heard in some of the original demos. Brain and Frank simply recorded those parts and presumably Axl/Constanzo cut and paste the best parts by each. Brain also gets a credit for drum arrangement so perhaps he added some variations or perhaps he was also involved with programming the drum machine.

There are couple of examples of this - looks like pitman, constanzo and even axl originally programmed drums on TWAT - with Freese and then Brain doing their own variation enough to get credited for drum arrangement. Frank also recorded drums and once again their drum parts were cut and pasted. The level of perfectionism is just insane really.

Its likely Ferrer spent the last couple of years recording drum parts for every song, with Axl/Constanzo deciding where to use Brain and where to use Ferrer.

It also looks like Chris Pitman was originally responsible for programming the drum machine for Madagascar and Caram Constanzo for Prostitute (I believe the first demo had a drum machine if I remember correctly).

There are also various credits for MPC Drums/Drum Programming for Brain, Eric Caudieux and Pitman - presumably some drum machine parts were left in.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

All I know is that Frank replaced Brain's drumming on the song Chinese Democracy with much inferior drumming, and it's a damn shame!
Brain played some killer bass drum stuff on the leak, and Frank's version doesn't have any of that cool stuff on there...

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

All I know is that Frank replaced Brain's drumming on the song Chinese Democracy with much inferior drumming, and it's a damn shame!
Brain played some killer bass drum stuff on the leak, and Frank's version doesn't have any of that cool stuff on there...

Really? I can't tell much difference other than the intro...

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Frank improved CD... drastically.

Board footer