You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Chinese Democracy UNDER 300,000 copies sold first week?

DCK wrote:

What this thing lacks is band appearance!! Where's Axl talking? Where's the performances? Oh wait...Robin is off playing with NIN

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Now people think the exclusive was a bad idea?

This album is out of excuses....

The album doesn't have any guaranteed hit singles. You can listen to this album straight through and be unable to cherry pick specific songs. Before someone says "Street of Dreams will top the charts worldwide", the only reason people think that is its been part of the soundtrack to your life for years and has meaning to you.

In hindsight, doesn't Ezrin's "three songs" comment make more sense?

This album was supposed to fly off the shelves. It didn't. Now we're supposed to believe this album is full of monster singles that will cause the album to fly off the shelves at a later date?

Also, Joe and Jill Public have let their voices be heard. They don't consider this GNR. They actually voiced their opinions years ago during the AFD rehash tours, but we all thought those empty seats represented people who would be there when the album's out. Obviously that wasn't the case. They're waiting for the 'real' GNR to come back.

Also, the project had way too many false starts to be taken seriously by the public. After the 02 implosion, the world turned it into a pop culture joke. Had he wanted this to be taken seriously, he should have released it when the world was willing to give it a chance.

Also, the hangers on just made things worse, and hopefully Axl takes a fresh look at that situation. When you have Del taunting fans on the official site, Beta posting that hardcores "aren't fans and we don't need your money", and Fernando acting like he's part of GNR, don't be surprised that people don't open up their wallets.

The album actually sold less than the statistics show. Most bought multiple copies. There's the extreme where one guy bought 35 copies, while the majority seemed to have bought two(or more). Take away those multiple copy buyers, this thing probably sold 50,000 copies.

Like Madagas and a few others said, everyone should enjoy the album or enjoy the songs that you do like on the album. Its finally out and that's what we all wanted. When looking back objectively, it shouldn't be a shock that its unfolding like this.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Like Madagas and a few others said, everyone should enjoy the album or enjoy the songs that you do like on the album. Its finally out and that's what we all wanted. When looking back objectively, it shouldn't be a shock that its unfolding like this.

Thank you. This "wow wtf" stuff gets old so fast..

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The irony of this all....

The album is actually pretty fuckin' awesome.

Nobody cares without the top-hatted one. Combined with that, no live promo, it was also an awful week to release it, with Kanye, The Killers & Nickleback as major competition. It isn't due to a lack of interest in Guns N' Roses. Look at AC/DC, look at Metallica. It's due to a lack of interest in THIS Guns N' Roses.

Not to mention the music isn't good enough. Seriously I think this is a huge white elephant in the room that not very many are willing to admit. This album will not appeal to the masses regardless of who's in the band. Way too many so-so songs as well as some outright bad ones. It's just a fact(or a very very strong opinion 14). yes some diehrads love it but your average Joe who picks this up is not gonna hear about it and rave to his buddies. It just won't happen. This album will never succeed based on word of mouth.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

James is totally right. I remember constantly saying back a few years ago "wait 'til the album is out. Then you'll see".

It didn't happen.

Axl didn't do ANY promo, which leads me to believe Azoff was brought in for the 'big catch', not CD. CD was simply a contractual obligation that Azoff & co. had to get out of the way, to pave the way forward.

At this point, Axl needs to take a vacation, one where he's totally by himself, and really think about his future in music, and future with GN'R. What does he want it to be artistically, and what does he want it to be financially.

With a guitarist gone, and CD tripping out of the gate, there's only one option left.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Awesome James. I agree totally. Enjoy this record for yourselves cause it's not gonna be enjoyed by the majority of the public. Also there's gonna come a time when people are just gonna have to admit the quality of the music just isn't up to par. It's not a hit album like the Gn'R albums of the past.  Maybe it's an amazing album to some but be honest. Listen to this stuff and say to me with a straight face this is the type of music that should set the world on fire.  It isn't.  It just isn't.  The stuff that sets the world on fire is the stuff Joe public and Joe Diehard agree on. This album has NONE of that. NONE! Not even the diehrads can agree on it. That says all you need to know.

bazgnr
 Rep: 4 

bazgnr wrote:

The whole thing is kind of bittersweet, isn't it?  More than anything, I wanted this album to be relased, and to FINALLY hear new recorded music from my favorite band of all-time.  In that sense, the entire thing has been very worth it, as I think the album is spectacular and I will enjoy it for years to come.

That said, I also feel a sense of loyalty to the band, and - as a long-time fan - want others to acknowledge how great it is - or at least give it a listen - for it to be successful both critically and in terms of sales, and to defend the work and effort that went in to getting it out.

They're definitely two separate issues as far as I'm concerned, and I need to remind myself how happy I truly am to have the album to enjoy.  In the end, no matter what happens in terms of sales and acclaim, that has to be enough, doesn't it?

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The irony of this all....

The album is actually pretty fuckin' awesome.

Nobody cares without the top-hatted one. Combined with that, no live promo, it was also an awful week to release it, with Kanye, The Killers & Nickleback as major competition. It isn't due to a lack of interest in Guns N' Roses. Look at AC/DC, look at Metallica. It's due to a lack of interest in THIS Guns N' Roses.

Not to mention the music isn't good enough. Seriously I think this is a huge white elephant in the room that not very many are willing to admit. This album will not appeal to the masses regardless of who's in the band. Way too many so-so songs as well as some outright bad ones. It's just a fact(or a very very strong opinion 14). yes some diehrads love it but your average Joe who picks this up is not gonna hear about it and rave to his buddies. It just won't happen. This album will never succeed based on word of mouth.

The album is awesome, and under-appreciated.

But your opinion on the casual is totally spot-on. I ran into an old friend just the other day, rock/metal fan (Metallica, GN'R, etc.), and I told him I had picked up CD at Best Buy last week. His response, "so that thing finally came out, how is it?" Me, "pretty good, I like it. It's totally different, like really different. If you liked the Illusion albums, you'll probably like this. But if you're look for AFD, if you're looking for Welcome To The Jungle, it isn't for you". Him, "what's the structure of the songs like?". Me, "the rockers are like Axl doing Rob Zombie, the ballads are like classic Axl ballads like in the vein of November Rain, Estranged, Don't Cry, that stuff." Him, "oh". Me, "yeah, there's alot of depth in the songs, and alot of different layers. Alot of songs have like five guitarists, two bass lines, two drummers, a piano and synth keys, some have more synth, where it's like a backing orchestra". Him, "ugh". Me, "yeah, one song, Madagascar opens with like synth french horns". Him, "oh god, not again". Me, "another really good song, Prostitute has like violins n' stuff". Him, "seriously?". Me, "yeah, but there's some really heavy songs too. There's this song, Sorry, fucking amazing. Like really fuckin' good, you gotta here it". Him, "is that the only heavy song on the album?. Me, "there's some rockers, but as far like a 'big' song, yeah, Sorry's the one". Him, "what's the guitar work like? Would you recommend it?". Me, "ehh, the guitar work is an acquired taste. Buckethead and Ron Thal's work, I highly recommend, the rest... honestly, and you know I always preferred Axl to Slash... leaves you aching for Slash & Izzy".

When I said that, he knew. That was my honest opinion.

He didn't even ask for a burned rip, which stunned me. He's really not interested.

I think alot of the old Gunners and casual audience is going to have that same reaction. I talked to a cousin, die hard Guns fans (at one time me and him were doing covers in a band), and his response - "lightyears better than Velvet Revolver. They suck. But still...  I don't know... it's not bad... I just don't like the atmosphere. The sound. I want old Guns back. That bluesy rock shit. That was da bomb, that fuckin' stuff. And i'm talking ballads too. Even the best on CD, isn't Jungle or Paradise City or November Rain or Estranged or Coma. Those are in a league of their own."

How many people have this attitude? That might be why the sales are what they are.

Like James said, Joe & Jill Public have spoken - this is an Axl Rose solo record in their eyes.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

The GNR camp are FUCKING morons.

There I said it

Yes I said it

Releasing CD as the first single was as stupid as u can get from an organization and shows how Axl's Ego and delusions are out of control.

The song has a fucking minute intro, no HOOK and is an average song at best.

This is 2008!!!!!!!!!! People don't give u many chances. First impressions are everything and surprise surprise, Axl dropped the ball with this turd of a single.

The album isn't very radio friendly and nothing on here will be a hit.

This record bombs. it won't even go platinum I bet cause like James pointed out, u take away the multiple copies all of the GNR fanbase bought, and this thing may have sold 150k tops.

Album sells drop off, they don't increase from week to week unless u hit that big lightning in the bottle single.

CD doesn't have that single. There are tons of great songs I resonate with, but when I listen objectively, i hear nothing that would crossover to the masses.

NO promotion and no interviews no videos. Just fucking pathetic and embarrassing.

Bring on the reunion. I am ready.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

From what i've seen in the last year, so are Slash, Izzy, Duff & Matt.

I think what makes it even worse for GN'R is the choke with the build up over the years. VR is like the team, that started the season off really good, but tapered off, and didn't make the playoffs. New GN'R is like Axl taking the team to the National League pennant, Game 7, Bottom of the 9th, at-bat, score, losing 4-3, 2 outs, 2 men on base, full count 3 and 2, win or go come, the pitch...... BAM strikeout. A huge whiff at the plate, no World Series, you go home, thanks for coming, don't collect $200 dollars, BUH-BYE.

Axl... don't want 'til your ancient. Do it now, while you guys still have a sliver of your youth left.

Board footer