You are not logged in. Please register or login.

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

NO SPOILERS.

I think a lot of the disappointment from some people is because they are expecting/wanting something that no director or writer can ever live up to, which is your childhood. If you go in to this movie expecting something to blow you away as the originals did when you were a kid, you will be forever disappointed. Not because the movie is poor, but because you are no longer a kid. I brought my son to watch it and he never shut up about it for 2 days after, he loved it that much.

I think some of you are forgetting your innocence when you first seen these movies and forget kids today still have that innocence. For me, I learned from the prequels to not expect the unachievable and just sit back and enjoy it for what it is. A light hearted feel good movie that primarily is aimed at a younger audience. Don't overthink it folks. Just relax and enjoy.

For what it is worth, I was going to walk out of this movie in the first 40mins, but it redeemed itself after that. A roller coaster ride from 40(ish) mins on-wards and it never let up from then.

This movie is divisive, but I think intentionally so. I mean didn't we all love dissecting the originals for 40 years? You will do the same with this movie.

Star wars never was intentionally the grand opera it ended up been. It was similar to G'N'R in a way, the right time in the right place "Lightning in a bottle". It was originally a movie aimed at kids and wasn't expected to be the giant it became. What I learned from my kid was in his young mind, the force is still strong!

My 2 cents. Leave your over critical and analyzing head at the door and enjoy the ride for what it is.

I rediscovered my innocence and I liked it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
IRISH OS1R1S wrote:

I rediscovered my innocence and I liked it.

I agree with a lot of your post.

For me I wasn't trying to over analyse it generally, but it was just kinda weird in that

Hidden Text:

the first movie sort of set up a few things that were mysteries that it seemed would be explained in the future instalments. Then this movie actively undid them. Which I found kinda weird.

But I really enjoyed the movie anyway I must say.

Mid way through I started kinda thinking how its a bit like the sort of games one would play with starwars toys as a kid, then I realised the same thing - it's surely possible to over think things and let your expectations make you not enjoy something lighthearted.

That said - I hope JJ ties up the loose ends in Episode 9. I'll find it fun anyway probably, but it deserves a strong finish.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Decided I was done working at 2:30 and went to see the movie.  Missed all of 5 work emails in the process, so that was a good decision on my part.

Thank you for no spoilers, so I will do the same.  I liked the movie as a stand alone movie.  I didn't like what they did with some of the characters...it's definitely not the movie I would have written. 

Hidden Text:

I think I would have kept Luke and Snoke around for episode 9 (though I am sure Luke will be there as a ghost).  He clearly had become powerful and I think while it was necessary that he die at some point for Rey to really be the lead hope, it could have been done so much more magnificently.

I will certainly be seeing it again.  I like it for what it is and if episode 9 can somehow fix some of the things I didn't like about episode 8, I will be 100% good with it.  Regardless, I've spent much worse 2 and a half hour periods of my life.

Hidden Text:

It felt a little like game of thrones in that anybody could die at any time.  In some ways I liked that, but some of it was disappointing. 

IRISH OS1R1S
 Rep: 59 

IRISH OS1R1S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Decided I was done working at 2:30 and went to see the movie.  Missed all of 5 work emails in the process, so that was a good decision on my part.

Hidden Text:

I think I would have kept Luke and Snoke around for episode 9 (though I am sure Luke will be there as a ghost).  He clearly had become powerful and I think while it was necessary that he die at some point for Rey to really be the lead hope, it could have been done so much more magnificently.

Hidden Text:

I think we haven't seen the last of Snoke. He was clearly very powerful and ancient. It may have been all a ruse to complete Bens training. Seeing as what Yoda could do in ghost form, there is no reason Snoke can't do the same or even more. In the expanded universe Snoke is a really mysterious character and I'm sure we have more to see and learn about him.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I liked it alot. First thoughts, definitely dark/industrial. Packed a punch too. Loved those little owls.

A few cons - I felt the storyline kinda struggled. Mostly

Hidden Text:

just a ship trying to get away

. Like, that's it?  I felt Rey took a little step back, I thought it was her who should've startup up the lightsaber & not Kylo Ren ( Darth Emo - sometimes term on her from TFA haha). I really dislike Poe, just doesn't do it for me. I also liked Laura Derns character, so when he & Poe went at it I was kinda torn, like, I'm with her bud. Benicio Del Toro was good, I felt it ended a bit quick, but I compare him to Billy D Williams in the first trilogy (Empire?).

I felt too much of it took place in space. I really liked the snow planet at the end & scenes there. BB-8 kinda lost a bit of his cuteness in it too.

Nice way to end it though, really good with only

Hidden Text:

40 or so of them left. Also the kid at the end was a great scene

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Read all your posts. I agree it definitely takes a dark/industrial toned turn in the scenic look of the film. A massive departure from TFA but one I felt made it a better film. I do agree about the storyline curve, not sure it patched the 1st the 3rd so to speak, (TFA to the next one). I was a bit letdown to the background reveals of Rey & Fin, neither learned much about their past (nor did we). Luke was good, cool how he was just meditating the scene all along. Felt he could've become more of a tutor instead of just repeating why he couldn't do it.

I'm not sure how this can go back to JJ Abrams. His Star Trek movies & TFA were very bright & campy almost, I wouldn't wanna see that look again after Rogue One & The Last Jedi. Personally, I'd like to see them split the last movie into 2, and release them a year apart (like the final Harry Potter movies & others were doing it a while back. Twilight?). But yeah if they're gonna end it with the next movie, it's gonna have to have too much storytelling & explaining to do, mixed into the action. On the other hand I guess Rey is just Rey & Fin is Fin. I'm sure they'll reveal a bit about Rey though.

Hidden Text:

To be honest, I still think she's Luke's daughter. I bet she was abandoned or her mother died & she was raised by some poor schmucks who sold her off.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:

Warning. Don’t click the spoiler button and bitch. It’s there for those who have seen it.

Watch it a 2nd time. I’m the ultimate Star Wars nerd and:

Hidden Text:

Seriously. Don’t click this button if you haven’t watched it. You'll have clicked two buttons, so you can't be upset.

Hidden Text:

had all these expectations of snoke. Who is he?  ... I spent 2 years watching YouTube videos on his ring and how it amplified his power 100x.

Hidden Text:

Haha, you're such a nerd. 

just kidding

Honestly, I never thought too much of him. I compared him to the ancillary bad guys & emporor in ANH, aside from Vader. They never give them much backstory do they? I see where you're coming from though, if you had the mindset they would get into that, then didn't, I can see it disappointing. I've actually never watched YT videos on Star Wars, nor read into or thought about theories too much. I was hoping Fin would eventually begin to discover his whereabouts/home planet, and more about Rey.

Hidden Text:

I do think that's where the ship will end up, one of their home planets. I agree with one of your earlier posts, they should have had Leia die off. Its a bit much to carry her into a 2nd movie posthumously. Laura Derns character should've just been written into hers to take the reigns.

I do feel like the story arc stalled & now there's too much needed for the final installment to be split into 2. Flagg start up a change.org petition for it & I'll sign & it and share the heck outof it. This is an atrocity of monster proportions, we need this!! lol.

A friend of mine on FB had a funny post on FB, it said "For a story that took place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, Star Wars sure makes alot of money in the Milky Way."

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Yeah I read the spoilers before seeing it (still haven't seen it, thanks Wikipedia), and like I predicted shit happened, happened.

Hidden Text:

Luke Skywalker dying was just so predictable. I mean you killed of Han in the 1st one, which Han being Han you'd think he wouldn't fall for that shit. But, hey Harrison wanted out cool. Unless somehow he projected himself and isn't really dead boom third movie. But, I doubt that. With Carrie Fisher dead, you'd think hey, let's not kill off Mark Hamil's Luke, and maybe he isn't dead or one with the Force and just disappeared to another place in the galaxy, I think Qin Jing or whatever the fuck his name is did it a bunch of times played by Liam Neeson? I get you want to have new characters be the story, but as someone said here, killing off the old guard in every movie is just ugh. Kind of ageism. It is like Indiana Jones in the Crystal Skull, pushing Shia's character. Like no, I came to watch Indiana Jones with Harrison Ford not Shia LaBeouf becomes the new Indiana Jones blah blah blah. And the Snook lack of background, why he is who he is, is just piss poor writing.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
Hidden Text:

I'm surprised all the 'Luke Died' talk??  When did he die? I'm not the best at watching movies & attention span, but I recall he was facing the At Ats, then Darth Emo faced him and fought him. He killed him off but it all seemed to be a mirage, as the very next scene they show Luke meditating it all thru. He was projecting himself there, into that battle, but he wasn't actually there. That's what The Force was. imho at least.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

PaSnow wrote:
Hidden Text:

I'm surprised all the 'Luke Died' talk??  When did he die? I'm not the best at watching movies & attention span, but I recall he was facing the At Ats, then Darth Emo faced him and fought him. He killed him off but it all seemed to be a mirage, as the very next scene they show Luke meditating it all thru. He was projecting himself there, into that battle, but he wasn't actually there. That's what The Force was. imho at least.

Hidden Text:

After you find out he was projecting himself from Ahch-to onto Crait, he fades away and joins the force, just like Obi-Wan and Yoda did.  Both Rey and Leia said they felt him go and join the force at peace.

Board footer