You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Re: Reason Axl Rose not promoting album?

His egotistical BS was only overlooked because Slash, Izzy, and Duff were such cool, laid back, down to earth guy's.  Alone, Axl's enormous ego, and cheese-ball over the top antics are too much.  He's as talented as they get, but he needs the balance of the other guy's to be accepted by the public.  He got himself into this hole, he is the only one who can get out of it.  At this point, I don't think the replacements want anything to do with this trainwreck, and are hoping for him to get his head on straight.  They are sick and tired I am sure of having an illiterate housekeeper tell them how to rock.

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

huntermc wrote:

If this rumor of a new master and revised packaging is true, where the hell is he going to sell it? Best Buy sure won't be ordering any more copies any time soon.

Or do they let Best Buy return the overstock and get out of the exclusivity deal, dump the extra copies in a landfill, and then press new copies of Axl's preferred version? Let's hope there's at least a few bonus tracks or something on it.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Better ain't gonna do shit.

The DJ's in my area hate GNR's fucking guts, they hate Axl, and they refused to play CD most of the time.

I'm sure I could be wrong, but I would be stunned if Better makes a splash. Outside of these forums, nobody gives a fuck.

Yeah, I checked my local station's site and they haven't played Better at all in the last 24 hours. CD was played 3 times though.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

GNR always had three major unique points which guaranteed sales...

1. Slash
2. Axl's voice...
3. Izzy's songwriting

All three together equalled world domination...fuck with that formula and you are not going to make it in the big league...eliminating Slash worked for a short while when Bucket was in the band...for a second there, it could have worked....but then he fucked that up too...

Axl's voice was the only thing which was left over as the main attribute, and considering that they remixed and effected it to death on the album, means that the only drawcard they had was also killed off...

only thing which will bring this album back to the top of the charts is if Better comes out with a kickass video to boost it, and Axl goes to Rolling Stone or Kurt Loder and starts talking....

otherwise, this is as good as it could have been....i think over time, the album will do decent numbers, like all of GNR's releases, but it won't excite the world like UYI did at the time of their release...

only thing which is selling this album now is the name...and the promise of hearing Axl Rose at full throttle again...but considering you could hear it for free on MySpace....people were given the opportunity to decide whether they wanted to buy it or not...and judging by the numbers....I'd say most have decided not to buy it...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Also don't count out the curious people back in 2006 or so, when the European tour was going on, and leaks were out there, downloaded leaks, and even though it was just CD, Street, Maddy, Better, IRS & TWAT, turned around and said "that's it?" And immediately washed from their memories a new GN'R, and just looked at it as the real GN'R died in 1993.

I know TONS of people that did that. From internet folk, to people I grew up with, to family, to friends, to co-workers... alot. People were excited to hear, at least in demo-form, what Axl had been up to, and very many were... disappointed.

Alot of those same people from that point forward, moved on, and didn't even give this album a glance. I've talked to several friends & family, some GN'R NUTS at one point, and almost all of them reacted with "so that thing finally came out, eh?" And then changed the subject.

Axl waited too long. People simply moved on.

And now looking back, when cats like Beta were saying "you're hurting the band" leaking this stuff... they were right. Leakers were hurting the band. Because the GN'R camp knew for awhile they had the element of surprise going for them for sales, and curiosity. When shit leaked, and it got all over the place, the world was able to judge, and reactions were mixed at best.

I do believe this cost them sales in the long run.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

almost everything over the years has pointed to this I guess (zero promotion), and instability is probably only one factor

We shouldnt be that surprised really. The whole lead up to this, the years of waiting with no news or interviews, no proper promotion of the tours - it all points to an artist not willing in any capacity to promote himself

I think Axl genuinely has no interest anymore in being in the spotlight. He merely wanted to record this album and make it perfect in his eyes and now here it is. So interviews, TV appearances and all that kind of thing, I think he's just too fragile a person to handle that at this stage of his life. Everything for years has indicated that.

As for the low sales? No marketing at all has definietley hurt (especially the lack of a hit) but its become clear the general public knows the story here better than us diehards perhaps gave credit for. Over the years there has been some insane speculation about new records and 20 million sales out of the gate etc.. Just ludicrous. This ain't Guns and Joe Blow knows it.

I believe it's a great album - and that I think, is all the success Axl is seeking.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I think Axl genuinely has no interest anymore in being in the spotlight. He merely wanted to record this album and make it perfect in his eyes and now here it is. So interviews, TV appearances and all that kind of thing, I think he's just too fragile a person to handle that at this stage of his life. Everything for years has indicated that.

Correct. We just failed to see that this would be the case in time of album releases to. No one expected it. I see it now though, very clearly.

This is how the game is played. Take it or leave it.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Neemo wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Best Buy will unload these for $5.99 each at some point. Maybe even cheaper. They do it with other discs.

i guess we all shoulda waited 16

That's what I'm waiting for.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

Looks like Andy Gould is now out--he was basically the manager for frontline, which Azoff heads along with Ticketmaster.  Axl will never leave Azoff.  It would not be so sad, if this cycle were not so predictable.  The only manager to ever stay around is whatshername...

whats this all about? Gould is gone? hmm when did this happen?

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Neemo wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

Looks like Andy Gould is now out--he was basically the manager for frontline, which Azoff heads along with Ticketmaster.  Axl will never leave Azoff.  It would not be so sad, if this cycle were not so predictable.  The only manager to ever stay around is whatshername...

whats this all about? Gould is gone? hmm when did this happen?

I should clarify my statement, I read on an industry board, that Gould was laying in the sand at the bottom of the hour glass.  Interpret that how you want.

Board footer