You are not logged in. Please register or login.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Re: What did you expect?

James Lofton wrote:

Great post Mr. Wonderful(Paul Orndoorf?). Cool to see a 'non die hard' offer their perspective.

I do agree that the album itself as a whole is its main selling point. I mentioned this weeks ago, but its like Led Zeppelin II(or maybe III) where the entire album has to be digested instead of being able to just cherry pick singles from it as the album's representation.

However, we live in an era propelled by catchy singles. So in that aspect, they have to grab a few songs and hope one sticks. Its an album without any guaranteed singles though.

Its an album that exists in the wrong time.

Well, I think in retrospect, the goal was to essentially pay off the label and move forward. Too much burnt advance cash relegated this to a strip it down and recoup what you can.

The US market didn't respond well to a progressive rock album but the rest of the world has fitfully enjoyed it. Good sales world wide, not spectacular.

Moving forward, I really wonder what happens to Axl's new band. Unless he has an ace up his sleeve, he has not caught America's attention. He needs to regain that focus or he simply cannot sell an acceptable number of records to justify the high cost of production. He may find that he needs to give the old band a call to get that kind of advance from the music industry.

MrWonderful
 Rep: 2 

MrWonderful wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Dude, nothing on this album is a hit. Nothing.

At least not enough of a hit to drive album sales. People - don't - care.

I think you might be underestimating the album.  I didn't even know it was coming out----I just happened to be looking on iTunes for something else and saw the advertisement up on the top of the page.  I read some reviews and about a third of them seemed to say that the album grew on you the more you listened---I got it and tend to agree.

Street of Dreams just seems like the kind of song that will be a hit.  I don't even know why they picked Chinese Democracy for their 1st single, because I think its one of the weaker songs---the same way I never understood why Don't Drink the Water was the first song released for Before These Crowded Streets or Too Much for Crash (both by DMB).

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I truely believe that had the old band recorded on this album, and it been promoted with Slash & Duff doing interviews...

People would be calling it the greatest GN'R album ever, and it would've went instant-platinum in the first week... or at least Death Magnetic numbers.

Alot of people just flat out HATE Axl and refuse to buy CD or give it a chance artistically. It's sad.

If The World, TWAT, Catcher, Sorry, Maddy, This I Love & Prostitute are among some of the best ever recorded under the name - GUNS N' ROSES.

Well of course a record released by the old band would have done much better. The first GNR record in 15 years recorded by the real band would have received more hype and would have resonated better with the casual fan.  Not to mention a reunited band would mean promo, a tour, and likely a music video. It would be entirely different.

Though I disagree people would be calling it the greatest GNR album ever. I think a lot of people would be very disappointed to hear most of the songs you listed instead of a balls to the wall rock album. It might even be slammed more than it is right now. Axl could get away with releasing that type of music, but I don't think the lineup that recorded AFD could.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Maybe Axl has gotten the ballads out of his system and we will get some fucking Rock next time around.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

Maybe Axl has gotten the ballads out of his system and we will get some fucking Rock next time around.

Why? The ballads were what he did best.

If he goes for rockers next time, he DEFINITELY needs Slash, Duff and possibly Izzy. They know how to do it MUCH better than he does.

As much as I love CD & Shackler's, and the industrial-techno influenced GN'R, most people want that bluesy, balls-to-the-wall Guns N' Fuckin' Roses sound for the rockers.

I think that's been the biggest shock to the system for alot of people are the rockers on CD. The ballads are no shock at all. They are very-Axl, and most sound straight off of UYI 2. IRS is really the only throwback rocker, sounding like a UYI 1 track.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Please don't disrespect UYI's with IRS. That song is horrible. I'd take Back Off Bitch anyday over IRS.

R.B. Huckleberry

Well there ya go. IRS is one of my favorites off the album. Different strokes...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

IRS is a good song. Certaintly better than Back Off Bitch.

But it's just 'good'. It's not one of the greats on the album. Probably in my bottom-3.

R.B. Huckleberry

Axlin08 wrote:

IRS is a good song. Certaintly better than Back Off Bitch.

But it's just 'good'. It's not one of the greats on the album. Probably in my bottom-3.

My bottom 3 from this album are on a par with my Top 5 anywhere else.

I'm no drooling fanboy drone, either. Love the band (one of my favorites), but how long have I been hanging around this board? A week or 2.

I never stopped listening to the band, but I wouldn't say I blindly accept everything Axl does as great. But this album is great.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
R.B. Huckleberry wrote:

Well there ya go. IRS is one of my favorites off the album. Different strokes...

i fucking hate BoB with a passion...and like you huck...one of my fav's on cd is IRS....

Board footer