You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: What song(s) have grown on you the most?

Gunslinger wrote:

With all the negativity surrounding Chinese Democracy on the boards right now I've got to say I think it's premature and unfounded.

You guys that have known me for awhile know that I am a realist and often tread into the "pessimist" territory, (I've always believed the line that seperates a person from being labeled a "pessimist" or a "realist" is a very fine one), but this album is very good and imo the criticisms are far overdone.  The more I have listened to it the more I appreciate it.  Take away some of the mixes not being perfect nor the sales not being high as we wanted and the truth is you still have a VERY good album. 

Songs I originally didn't care much for are now some of my favorites.  To me that is one sign of a very strong album.  I've found that Sorry, If The World and Catcher in the Rye (I didn't like the additions at first) have REALLY grown on me.  The only two songs I really don't care for now are Shackler's and Scraped.  I liked Scraped when I first heard it but it fell fast.  Didn't like Sorry when I first heard it but it grew on me fast!!! 

I was just curious if you guys had experienced the same sort of thing with some of the songs on the album?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

All the songs have grown on me really, but a few stand out. Prostitute I used to hate. Even considered it worst GN'R song ever for a while. Somehow it ended up being one of the highlights of the album. I've always loved Catcher but the new guitar work takes it to a whole new level. Now my favorite song. This I Love felt lacking, now I'm loving every part of it. Finck's solo really ain't that bad at all. If The World has grown to a monster. Great, refreshing song.

Shackler and Rhiad have improved, the new solo from Bumble starting to replace Buckets in my mind (not necessarily a good thing, but at least it doesn't sound weird anymore). They are still mediocre songs though, just a little less skipable (yeah, I probably made that word up).

CD has of course improved a lot, but along with Madagascar and The Blues they are just too old to make a reasonable judgment. Great songs and all, just very overplayed. Turned out nice though.

Scraped has grown on me quite a bit so has Riad

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Sorry is the highlight of the album for me. I had actually went almost a week without listening to this album. Listened to it on the way home today and skipped through various tracks to hear my faves......CD, Riad, and Sorry.

That new Riad solo still feels out of place to me.

As far as any 'growers', none for me. I still hate Scraped, and This I Love has its moments but that solo just isn't very good. I'm listening to CITR right now, and while I wouldn't be as harsh to it as I was when hearing the final version for the first time, there's just something missing from this track.

alexh0618
 Rep: 14 

alexh0618 wrote:

Scraped and If The World.

I used to hate ITW but now it's one of my favorites.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah, If the World is definitely the best song out of all these slow songs.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

If The World.

I was not a fan of the lyrics at first. But the musicianship on it is really good and Axl's vocals are great. It's now one of my favorites on the album.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

That new Riad solo still feels out of place to me.

Yeah, it feels that way to me but I really like the song so I overlook it. 

James Lofton wrote:

I'm listening to CITR right now, and while I wouldn't be as harsh to it as I was when hearing the final version for the first time, there's just something missing from this track.

Again I agree, something just doesn't work together but the song is so strong it rescuses the flaws.  As far as Scraped I made my initial judgement on that small skipping leak that we all had.  I thought it would be good but it and Shackler's are the two songs I now like the least.  I would have actually left Scraped off the album and replaced Shackler's with a retooled Oh My God.

tejastech08 wrote:

If The World.

I was not a fan of the lyrics at first. But the musicianship on it is really good and Axl's vocals are great. It's now one of my favorites on the album.

Same here.  I wasn't crazy about the song at first either but the song is now one of my favorites for the same reasons you stated.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

The other thing that I like about If The World is that the final version feels like an improvement over the first demo. Usually I think Pitman being added to some of the songs tends to screw things up but in this case I love the synth stuff added to the song. Or perhaps it was always there and I just didn't notice it. I also like the "false start" intro that they put in the final mix.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I'm glad people are warming to If The World, I've loved it since the first leak of it.

Not many growers for me, I guess I tolerate Prostitute now. And I like Sorry the more I hear it. Catcher took a few listens, just to get the old demo out of my head and accept the new version, which is almost as good (the demo being the beginnings of a phenomenal song.)

Board footer