You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

mickronson wrote:

has anyone actually heard anything other than VR? you all keep mentioning VR as a reference to diss.. believe it or not, VR isnt the best theyve all done..
Gnr is still new remember.. sex with someone new is always nice.. it gets old like always tho

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

GN'R leaves us butt up with a flower in it, so much, that it can never get old.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
mickronson wrote:

has anyone actually heard anything other than VR? you all keep mentioning VR as a reference to diss.. believe it or not, VR isnt the best theyve all done.

I agree..thats why i had said a 14 track GH of all the best stuff they have done since they left gnr would be a good battle vs new gnr

now some peopel will give me a quality over quantity thing...but fuck that shit, albums always have filler

I'd rather have quantity if it means a new album every 15 years 16

3-4 years between an album is the current standard...it seems to work for most artists, sometimes it comes sooner with bands like BLS ...and while i'm on the subject...look at BLS that motherfuck Zakk has put out how many god damn albums since his short tenure in GnR

Book of Shadows (1996)

With Derek Sherinian
Inertia (2001)
Black Utopia (2003)
Mythology (2004)
Blood of the Snake (2006)

With Black Label Society
Sonic Brew (1999)
Stronger Than Death (2000)
Alcohol Fueled Brewtality Live +5 (2001)
1919 Eternal (2002)
The Blessed Hellride (2003)
Boozed, Broozed, and Broken Boned (DVD) (2003) (Certified Platinum)
Hangover Music Vol. VI (2004)
Mafia (2005)
Kings of Damnation 98-04 (Career Retrospective) (2005)
Shot To Hell (2006)
The European Invasion - Doom Troopin' Live (2006) (DVD)

With Ozzy Osbourne
Down to Earth (2001)
Live At Budokan (2002)
Black Rain (2007)

that's prolly the most embarrassing thing for me, entire careers have began and ended in the timeframe where Axl took to write one fuckign CD worth of material 17

you keep a legacy intact by releasing new material...not by fiddling and tweaking shit for an ungodly amount of time

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Absolutely! People on GNR boards diss Marilyn Manson but that guy is winding down a succesful career that has spanned the entire length of Axls absense.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Strictly speaking it's more than 14 songs though. We can't know for sure how many or how finished, but considering how long CD has been "finished" I don't think it's far fetched to believe that there are two or so close to finished albums out there. Like I've said before, Baz might exaggerate but he doesn't pull shit straight out the ass when he says he's heard 4 albums of material. The GN'R camp have been pretty consistent with that over the years too. If we set recording date at around 97 that's pretty even with most bands, especially bands late in their careers.

CD didn't take 17 years to make, but it took 17 years to release it. Major difference there.

I think a collection of songs from the ex-members would make a decent album, but the main problem is the lack of highlights. The vocalists are boring and the arrangements stale. The last part is one of the things I cherish the most in GN'R and I think Axl honored it well by keeping things a bit fresh in terms of structure and sound.

VR, Loaded, Snakepit, they all feel like "middle albums". The kind of stuff you throw out there on a limb. I think VR is appropriate to compare with since it is obviously an attempt from the ex-members to try and restart what they did in GN'R. Name is the same, album name references Axls band, the sound and type of music is pretty similar, the band set up is the same as classic gn'r. Loaded and Snakepit are a little less serious on their part it seems. Something they did for a good time. VR was an effort to build something, and at least subconsciously for some of them to challenge Axl.

Have Slash only done 4 proper albums since GN'R? That guy must have really been fucked up. I read it in his book and all, but I never thought about it that way.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Neemo wrote:

it'd be a hell of a match....one thing is for sure CD is a very sad and ballady sort of album...where the stuff from Slash is alot more rocking,

That's why they're 2 halves of the same thing.

Look what you can make when you mix It's Five O'clock somewhere and CD....sounds a bit like a UYI 3 to me...especially if you immagine Slash playing on the CD tracks and Axl singing on the snakepit ones:

Dime Store Rock
Street of Dreams
Beggars & Hangers-On
Catcher in the Rye
Neither Can I
There Was a Time
Good to Be Alive
Madagascar
Soma City Ward
This I Love
Take It Away
Doin' Fine
Prostitute

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Loaded and Snakepit are a little less serious on their part it seems. Something they did for a good time.

thats how it should be ..do get it done and move on...the general public will tire of if in a short period of time anyway

polluxlm wrote:

Has Slash only done 4 proper albums since GN'R?

4 albums in 13 years? sounds about right...falls into the 3-4 year time frame quite nicely

and then dont forget the countless guest spots to fill the gaps

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Neemo wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Loaded and Snakepit are a little less serious on their part it seems. Something they did for a good time.

thats how it should be ..do get it done and move on...the general public will tire of if in a short period of time anyway

Come on, not all music needs to be done in a week. Think about all the great albums over the years that happened because somebody went that extra mile. Not even AFD was made as fast as they claim it was, many of those tunes had been on their mind for years. That's why debuts are often very good and very fast, they've been perfected in bedrooms, pubs and parks for years.

polluxlm wrote:

4 albums in 13 years? sounds about right...falls into the 3-4 year time frame quite nicely

It's not shockingly low, but kinda weird since he doesn't seem to mind playing for a week or two then releasing stuff. I might be off, but the other members some to have been way more active, and we have stories of Slash pulling the plug when Duff and Izzy was ready to go. So it's not all fair to always use the "issue" card with Axl. Everybody has problems. That shouldn't have anything to say for the quality of the albums.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Neemo wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Come on, not all music needs to be done in a week. Think about all the great albums over the years that happened because somebody went that extra mile. Not even AFD was made as fast as they claim it was, many of those tunes had been on their mind for years. That's why debuts are often very good and very fast, they've been perfected in bedrooms, pubs and parks for years.

and when they record debuts its usually all at the same time with as little studio time as possible cuz they literally cant afford to screw around in there...I'm not saying that all albums need to be written and recorded in a week...but the faster you let go of them the more chance of caturing the emotion of the songs you are writing because they are still fresh..then there is the whole cohesion thing...look at the old stones and floyd albums sometimes you can hear the other peopel in the room when they are recording...its cool, and then when they are all there together i'd omagine they would all be able to feed of each other's energy..rather than just going into a room and laying down tracks...whats the point of chemisty if you dont capitalize on it

polluxlm wrote:
Neemo wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

It's not shockingly low, but kinda weird since he doesn't seem to mind playing for a week or two then releasing stuff. I might be off, but the other members some to have been way more active, and we have stories of Slash pulling the plug when Duff and Izzy was ready to go. So it's not all fair to always use the "issue" card with Axl. Everybody has problems. That shouldn't have anything to say for the quality of the albums.

agreed 5 but look at 5 O'Clock...that was written and recorded and done and touring...and alot of anger frustration and feeling is captured on those recordings...i never will understand why some poeple dont like that album...its a classic IMO..some of Slash's best work

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

another album that was done fast...Down II: A Bustle In Your Hedgerow...

written AND recorded in 28 days....and its fucking magnificent...absolutely beautiful 9

Board footer