You are not logged in. Please register or login.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

James Lofton wrote:
killingvector wrote:

Their contract is up, the CD debt has been recouped,

Are we sure about this? I don't remember any statements regarding GNR's status with Uni. Are you basing that on info from the old lawsuits? If so, you've got a great memory. 14

Count the albums. CD would be the last one of their initial deal with UMG.

The BB deal will net UMG about $13-14 million with a minimum of  1.4 million nonreturnable units. Anything more than that is profit and clears the debt left behind by CD.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
killingvector wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
killingvector wrote:

Their contract is up, the CD debt has been recouped,

Are we sure about this? I don't remember any statements regarding GNR's status with Uni. Are you basing that on info from the old lawsuits? If so, you've got a great memory. 14

The BB deal will net UMG about $13-14 million with a minimum of  1.4 million nonreturnable units. Anything more than that is profit and clears the debt left behind by CD.

well the deal was supposedly 700,000 up front...what if those were the unreturnables?

and the other half were a conditional sale?

700,000 x $9 = $6,300,000 which obviously is only half the debt

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

The only lesson Axl's learned, is that he was WRONG the last 15 years.

I don't think he cares if the public says he was wrong. He does what he does because thats what he wanna do. He's not run by album sales. We all saw that when he didn't bother to show up to promote it. This album selling 30 million or 30 copies doesn't mean to much apperantly. The dept was probably covered and that was it.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Some people make it seem like Axl used to be this promotional machine who used to give interviews on a weekly basis.  I must've missed those times.  He's never been one to speak openly, especially as time went on and he became a bigger star.  Unfortunately he's really the only known commodity in the band right now and the public isn't clamoring for interviews with any of the other members (which is unfortunate).  Richard Fortus actually gave a really good interview back in October and he was pretty candid about things, but it was on a St. Louis station and since he's from the town people may have cared.

Even if Axl breaks his silence one of these days I wouldn't expect him to all of a sudden go on a media blitz to promote the album.  I just don't see that happening.

killingvector

Neemo wrote:
killingvector wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

well the deal was supposedly 700,000 up front...what if those were the unreturnables?

and the other half were a conditional sale?

700,000 x $9 = $6,300,000 which obviously is only half the debt

I believe the deal was just under 3 million, with 1.4 million unreturnables or at least that is the rumored deal based on what AC DC got.

killingvector

http://www.undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=7118

In the United States, an exclusive deal was done with the Best Buy chain to purchase 1.5 million units in advance for $9 per unit. It is only over halfway to Gold Stateside.

What a brilliant deal. Considering Axl is reported to have spent $14m making the album, Best Buy have paid off his debt. Best Buy have 1.2 million unsold CDs sitting around in the warehouse. That's not Axl's problem. He has the cheque.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
killingvector wrote:

Wow, you sure speak for a lot of people. Some fans may be 'delusional' but others just want Axl to fail. But as to your greater point, relatively speaking, you seem to place music fans in far too many individual categories. A great many people enjoy many genres of music and can appreciate within the context of a single work, the variety of texture. In addition, when it comes to historically well known bands, music fans have ability to set aside trendy daliances and enjoy the classical sound as well as variations from that formula. Music is very subjective and critics run into trouble when they attempt to lump large groups of people into very limited categories.

You are so ridiculous.  Get over thsi psuedo intellectual crap you keep pulling. You sound like an ass. Take a step back Killingvector and comprehend what I'm saying. Are you not speakingf or alot of people as well. You seem to be speaking for the entire population who will undoubtedly love the album if only they give it a chance. Stop being such a hypocrit. I mean seriously you can speak for the mases yet I can't. 16 As for lumping music fans into genres again man pull your head out. It's a generalization. I'm makinga  point that the album doesn't appeal to a wide range of people in mass.  I'm not saying Hip Hop fans will only like hip hop. I'm not saying Rock fans only like rock.  Seriously dude stop responding to my posts unless you're gonn attempt to comprehend what I'm saying. Like I said you just sound like an ass.

killingvector

Bono wrote:
killingvector wrote:

Wow, you sure speak for a lot of people. Some fans may be 'delusional' but others just want Axl to fail. But as to your greater point, relatively speaking, you seem to place music fans in far too many individual categories. A great many people enjoy many genres of music and can appreciate within the context of a single work, the variety of texture. In addition, when it comes to historically well known bands, music fans have ability to set aside trendy daliances and enjoy the classical sound as well as variations from that formula. Music is very subjective and critics run into trouble when they attempt to lump large groups of people into very limited categories.

You are so ridiculous.  Get over thsi psuedo intellectual crap you keep pulling. You sound like an ass. Take a step back Killingvector and comprehend what I'm saying. Are you not speakingf or alot of people as well. You seem to be speaking for the entire population who will undoubtedly love the album if only they give it a chance. Stop being such a hypocrit. I mean seriously you can speak for the mases yet I can't. 16 As for lumping music fans into genres again man pull your head out. It's a generalization. I'm makinga  point that the album doesn't appeal to a wide range of people in mass.  I'm not saying Hip Hop fans will only like hip hop. I'm not saying Rock fans only like rock.  Seriously dude stop responding to my posts unless you're gonn attempt to comprehend what I'm saying. Like I said you just sound like an ass.

Considering the spelling, grammar, and reasoning errors in your above post, I'll let others decide which post reads like 'crap'.

My point again is that you cannot make the case that this album does not appeal to enough people when your argument is littered with subjective judgments on the quality of the album itself such as 'mediocre ballad' in reference to This I Love.

I get it, you don't like the album. But why do you insist on explaining why millions of others don't like it either? Many people impulse buy music once they have been hooked onto a single track. Others simply will never look for a piece of music if they haven't had their attention grabbed by any part of it. There are far too many other factors at play here than simply: the music stinks, the people have spoken. Such reasoning is beyond simplistic, it's laughable. You can break down any underselling album by generic themes and make that same case regardless of reality.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

There is no single to get people hooked.  Doesn't logic have to enter into your thought process at some point?  People that love the album admit there is no killer single on it.  Think about that for awhile.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
faldor wrote:

Some people make it seem like Axl used to be this promotional machine who used to give interviews on a weekly basis.  I must've missed those times.  He's never been one to speak openly, especially as time went on and he became a bigger star.  Unfortunately he's really the only known commodity in the band right now and the public isn't clamoring for interviews with any of the other members (which is unfortunate).  Richard Fortus actually gave a really good interview back in October and he was pretty candid about things, but it was on a St. Louis station and since he's from the town people may have cared.

Even if Axl breaks his silence one of these days I wouldn't expect him to all of a sudden go on a media blitz to promote the album.  I just don't see that happening.

The difference here was, I think people assumed, because Axl is the only original band member left and the only identifiable face and marketable face in the band, AND the fact it was his baby and his project... that naturally he would be the one to promote it.

Instead, he did just what he did during the UYI era. Nothing. The difference was, at that time, he could let Slash & Duff take the lead and promote it, because they were well-known, and in most cases, more likeable.

He did the same thing, but he doesn't have them around anymore to ALLOW him the luxury of doing no press. This has been a BIG contributor to the weak album sales in the U.S. imo.

Board footer