You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

Axlin16 wrote:

Great point. Especially considering the dating of this material. I could easily see Street of Dreams, If The World, TWAT, Catcher In The Rye, Scraped, Sorry, I.R.S., Madagascar, & This I Love on a 1996 album from Guns N' Roses.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

The album did prove who was the heart and soul of Guns and Roses.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
skippy wrote:

The album did prove who was the heart and soul of Guns and Roses.

Absolutely. Dizzy is Guns N' Roses.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

I was going to say the 4 guys who are gone, plus the one guy left. smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Actually it proved Chris Pitman is Guns N' Roses

MrWonderful
 Rep: 2 

MrWonderful wrote:

It isn't because the music is "Too Complex" *my favorite excuse* or what have u, I just think it sounds very manufactured, very robotic, very tight and the music just doesn't breathe. too much studio magic etc etc.

sometimes I just want to hear a kick ass guitar solo without 2 billion effects on it.

The VR and GNR thing is perfectly easy to see

VR, dirty bluesy riff rockers could use a bit more focus a la Axl

GNR  too many ballads not enough balls which the old band lends

I get where you are coming from D-machine.  I think CD, Raid, Shacklers, and Scraped are the weakest songs on the album.  Those 4 songs could have been great if their arrangements had been more raw.   Its on those 4 songs that I really miss Slash and the rest of the original members.  I find myself wishing those songs had more prominent drum, rythym guitar, and bass riffs (especially in the intros)....and a lead guitar that connected with the songs better .  Could I at least get a little cymbals and cowbell? 

I think Axl is great at singing vocals, writing lyrics, and composing ballads...but he could use a little help on his rock arrangements.

That being said, I really love the album.  I haven't listened to a cd this much in years.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

If Axl put out albums of this quality in every 3 years, people should be satisfied. I would be. But after all the wait and all the hype it's a huge disappointment. After 12 years of 'work', you just don't release Shackler's Revenge, Rhiad, Madagascar etc.

Solid post and I think that is the key to many people's disappointment.  It isn't the music so much as the wait.  Had this album not had so much hype nor time to create I think the reception would be much better.  It is a very decent album just not "earth shattering".

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
MrWonderful wrote:

It isn't because the music is "Too Complex" *my favorite excuse* or what have u, I just think it sounds very manufactured, very robotic, very tight and the music just doesn't breathe. too much studio magic etc etc.

sometimes I just want to hear a kick ass guitar solo without 2 billion effects on it.

I get where you are coming from D-machine.  I think CD, Raid, Shacklers, and Scraped are the weakest songs on the album.  Those 4 songs could have been great if their arrangements had been more raw.   Its on those 4 songs that I really miss Slash and the rest of the original members.  I find myself wishing those songs had more prominent drum, rythym guitar, and bass riffs (especially in the intros)....and a lead guitar that connected with the songs better .  Could I at least get a little cymbals and cowbell? 

I think Axl is great at singing vocals, writing lyrics, and composing ballads...but he could use a little help on his rock arrangements.

That being said, I really love the album.  I haven't listened to a cd this much in years.

replacing the drum and guitar parts with different ones wouldn't undo the layering and mixing of the album bucket

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
D-Machine wrote:

Certainly, but I am not talking about the old albums, i am talking about this one.

One thing is for sure though, I am definitely not a hater or just someone who bitches to bitch. I have tried with everything in me to listen over and over and over in hopes of something clicking but it just hasn't.

I guess the thing with CD is, it is almost like Axl forgets he is Axl Rose. I don't want Axl to be Elton John or Freddie Mercury or Rob Zombie or Trent Reznor

He is Axl Rose.......... U know? does that make any sense? 

its my whole who is GNR argument cause for me, VR sound more GNR than GNR.

I guess as fans though, we sometimes care a little too much when in reality it doesn't affect us at all.

I just see so many other artists giving a shit and doing great things with their fame etc and u have Axl who just doesn't do anything.

my other fave band Bon Jovi for instance, top tour of 2008, Jon won the Philanthropy award for all his charity work etc etc

GNR should be a HUGE metallica/Bon Jovi/U2 type band but instead they are more on the level of bands of yester year.

People are really excited that CD was the 33rd best selling album? This is GNR for fuck's sake, being happy going gold is ludicrous.

it's clear that this line of thinking is no longer relevant any more. a reunion wouldn't bring balls back to the music nor would it increase the number of rockers. gnr was gong in this direction before the break up. 

some people say catcher sounds clutterred and that the old demo sounds better. i listen to the demo and think it sounds bare and clunky.

am i better than you? no. do i know more about music than you? no. but i do honestly believe some can process more than others. i can smoke a joint and listen to catcher (album version) in awe as i soak in the collage of sounds. others can't and that is why this song is not for everyone. no song, ofcourse, is for everyone. you will never find me voluntarily listening to sweet child or novmeber rain.

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

well i for one agree with you on catcher. of all the songs this has grown on me the most. i though the demo was superior upon my first listen to the cd version. now i really appreciate it and enjoy what they did to it. great song imo.

Board footer