You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

Paxcow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Madagascar shouldn't have even been on the record.

You can actually picture a few of these songs(Better, Sorry, CITR, The Blues) on top 40 radio in the mid 90s next to such artists as Matchbox 20, Live, Jewel, Seal, etc. In 2008 it just doesn't fit in with anything. This is the type of album you listen to while alone. Just like if you had the urge to listen to an Ace of Base album tonight.

It would be like Nazareth waiting to release Hair of the Dog in 1992. Even though that's a great record, the album would have been very awkward in that pop culture time frame.

Have no idea when Sorry was written exactly(haven't read all the Axl transcripts yet), but it just screams 1994 and would have fit seamlessly between songs such as Live's Selling the Drama and Danzig's Can't Speak on the radio.

you don't like madagascar???? 10

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

IWhy wasn't this album released in 2000-2002?  With CD's release some questions have been answered; but can anyone give a reasonable answer as to why this thing wasn't released in one of those three years.  In late 1999-early 2000 there were several articles written in mainstream magazines regarding this project, Chinese Democracy.  I remember Rolling Stone had two articles--one in 1999 and one in 2000.  In 2001, GNR performed at HOB in Las Vegas and RIR 3(or 40.  Both those events garnered positive reviews.  In 2002, we had the VMA appearance.  Those events/pub got people talking about Gnr again and that would have been the best time to release this album.  I'm just trying to figure out what the last 6yrs have accomplished because the final versions of these songs don't sound that much different than the demos.

i agree with this whole heartedly and my freinds and i discussed this on the weekend...the one freind saw the band in 02 couldnt believe it has been 6 years since that show

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
skippy wrote:
war wrote:

am i better than you? no. do i know more about music than you? no. but i do honestly believe some can process more than others. i can smoke a joint and listen to catcher (album version) in awe as i soak in the collage of sounds. others can't and that is why this song is not for everyone. no song, ofcourse, is for everyone. you will never find me voluntarily listening to sweet child or novmeber rain.

Millions of stoned hippies loved the grateful dead, too. 19

I prefer to not have to be stoned to appreciate Guns and Roses.

Are you kidding me? That's what you got from my post? That i need to be stoned in order to appreciate Guns N Roses? talk about missing my point....I like the song and band sober as well. It's not a crutch but a simple fact: Good pot improves the experience of music of all kinds, as well as food and sex. You should try it.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
Neemo wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Are Metallica, AC/DC. Megadeth,etc. making music to the standard they set decades ago? Hell no.

I disagree with the megadeth statement....Dave mustaine has reinvented the megadeth (And metallica) sound that he set out to create in the early '80's

yeah and for me The Red Hot Chili Peppers are getting better and better. I'll take Stadium Arcadium over any album of the past 10 years.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Paxcow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Madagascar shouldn't have even been on the record.

You can actually picture a few of these songs(Better, Sorry, CITR, The Blues) on top 40 radio in the mid 90s next to such artists as Matchbox 20, Live, Jewel, Seal, etc. In 2008 it just doesn't fit in with anything. This is the type of album you listen to while alone. Just like if you had the urge to listen to an Ace of Base album tonight.

It would be like Nazareth waiting to release Hair of the Dog in 1992. Even though that's a great record, the album would have been very awkward in that pop culture time frame.

Have no idea when Sorry was written exactly(haven't read all the Axl transcripts yet), but it just screams 1994 and would have fit seamlessly between songs such as Live's Selling the Drama and Danzig's Can't Speak on the radio.

you don't like madagascar???? 10

I don't think that's what he's saying.

I love Madagascar, and think it's one of the stronger songs on the album... but i'll be the first to tell you it's dated by a decade or more. The 'sound' of it is - OLD.

If alot of this album sounded like 'classic Guns', people wouldn't have an issue with the 'old' factor. I think what it's got more to do with, is Axl re-invented the GN'R sound completely... into something that was popular in 1998.

Sky Dog wrote:

The only thing I see as dated on Chinese is the crappy hip hop beats of Madagascar, and the beats at the beginning of TWAT and IRS....Those clearly date to the rap/metal of the mid to late 90's. The beats are beyond weak and should have been filled in with live drumming by Brain. After that, I like most all of the keyboards, synths, and orchestration. Mother fucking Goose!:haha:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The Keyboards are great... but they're still dated.

Dream Theater, and hell even Hagar-Van Halen were doing that stuff back in the early 90's.

The other day I listened to "Not Enough" & "Right Now" from VH, and laughed and thought - "these sound like CD songs when you really listen to them". The only difference is they were FAR more catchy and mainstream marketable.

Sky Dog wrote:

keyboards and synths started in the late 60's early 70's....and I don't necessarily want catchy and mainstream.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

I don't necesarrily want catchy and mainstream.

Well congrats.  You didn't get it.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

I don't necesarrily want catchy and mainstream.

Well congrats.  You didn't get it.

16:haha::haha:

Board footer