You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Chinese Democracy Chart Positions Thread

Sky Dog wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

I don't necesarrily want catchy and mainstream.

Well congrats.  You didn't get it.

no, I didn't..... but, I will admit that at least one song would have been nice. hmm

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

that was fkin quality.. karma for buz

Sky Dog wrote:

He has his moments when he's not too busy being buried in a Matchbox 20 record....:lol:

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
madagas wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

I don't necesarrily want catchy and mainstream.

Well congrats.  You didn't get it.

no, I didn't..... but, I will admit that at least one song would have been nice. hmm

It's "Better." Too bad for you they fucked up the promotion of it. 16

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

He has his moments when he's not too busy being buried in a Matchbox 20 record....:lol:

There are far worse places to be.  Their first album stands up pretty well against any rock out there since it was released.  The third album is pretty good too, but the second one is a little too Axl for me.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
madagas wrote:

There are far worse places to be.  Their first album stands up pretty well against any rock out there since it was released.  The third album is pretty good too, but the second one is a little too Axl for me.

16:haha::haha:

I have their first album, but then again I was 10 or 11 when it came out. I don't ever listen to it. They're one of those bands that comes on the radio a lot and I don't usually turn it off when they come on. Compared to GN'R though? They're shit. 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Are Metallica, AC/DC. Megadeth,etc. making music to the standard they set decades ago? Hell no.

I disagree with the megadeth statement....Dave mustaine has reinvented the megadeth (And metallica) sound that he set out to create in the early '80's

He cant come close to the brilliance of Rust in Peace. Its not a knock against him either. He was in his prime and its truly a masterpiece.

The only thing I see as dated on Chinese is the crappy hip hop beats of Madagascar, and the beats at the beginning of TWAT and IRS....Those clearly date to the rap/metal of the mid to late 90's. The beats are beyond weak and should have been filled in with live drumming by Brain.

This is what I'll never understand about the making of this record. Did Axl address this issue in any of his posts, or were the dipshits too busy asking him about Disney shit?

I don't have a problem with hip hop beats or the use of samples. My problem is how tired the beats are. Its like they were lifted off an early 80's Fat Boys record. They come awfully close to ruining tracks. A producer from that genre(Timbaland, Switch,etc.) should have been brought in to the sessions at some point and showed him how to do it properly. In the case of the two examples I listed, both would have also wrote a few songs for the band.

I don't necessarily want catchy and mainstream.

The album needed a few songs of that caliber. Unfortunately, he cant write that type of material. If new GNR is going to continue, I think the next album needs outside songwriters. Either that, or hire musicians who can write some solid material. If Tommy leaves at some point to do a Replacements reunion, give Ben Shepard a blank check.

Why wasn't this album released in 2000-2002?

That's the trillion dollar question. It turned into a quadrillion dollar question when the album turned out to be the "demos" from 00-02 with some minor shit added by Ron and Frank that didn't improve things. This album would have fit in more with those times than it does now. Also, the band wasn't regarded as a joke at that point. There was genuine anticipation for the record and he had a killer lineup in place. The album lacked a killer single, but I think it had a better chance of being embraced by Joe Public at that point.

you don't like madagascar????

Its ok, it just didn't need to be on the record. He makes the same point on the rest of the album. He channels the Fat Boys and gives us extremely repetitive lyrics. This song tells you all you need to know about what's still sitting in the CD vault.

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Paxcow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Paxcow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Madagascar shouldn't have even been on the record.

You can actually picture a few of these songs(Better, Sorry, CITR, The Blues) on top 40 radio in the mid 90s next to such artists as Matchbox 20, Live, Jewel, Seal, etc. In 2008 it just doesn't fit in with anything. This is the type of album you listen to while alone. Just like if you had the urge to listen to an Ace of Base album tonight.

It would be like Nazareth waiting to release Hair of the Dog in 1992. Even though that's a great record, the album would have been very awkward in that pop culture time frame.

Have no idea when Sorry was written exactly(haven't read all the Axl transcripts yet), but it just screams 1994 and would have fit seamlessly between songs such as Live's Selling the Drama and Danzig's Can't Speak on the radio.

you don't like madagascar???? 10

I don't think that's what he's saying.

I love Madagascar, and think it's one of the stronger songs on the album... but i'll be the first to tell you it's dated by a decade or more. The 'sound' of it is - OLD.

If alot of this album sounded like 'classic Guns', people wouldn't have an issue with the 'old' factor. I think what it's got more to do with, is Axl re-invented the GN'R sound completely... into something that was popular in 1998.

but if everyone hadn't listened to the leaks, it wouldn't sound old. none of them would. i think every single song on this album is fantastic! i didn't listen to the leaks, except for "better." and that doesn't make me any less of a gnr fan. (and i know no one said that)

i don't participate in most of these debates about the music because i just love all of it so much! i'm grateful to have it. 9

i just don't like to over-analyze everything about it.

.......just my thoughts. 19

Paxcow
 Rep: 5 

Paxcow wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I don't necessarily want catchy and mainstream.

The album needed a few songs of that caliber. Unfortunately, he cant write that type of material. If new GNR is going to continue, I think the next album needs outside songwriters. Either that, or hire musicians who can write some solid material. If Tommy leaves at some point to do a Replacements reunion, give Ben Shepard a blank check.

you don't like madagascar????

Its ok, it just didn't need to be on the record. He makes the same point on the rest of the album. He channels the Fat Boys and gives us extremely repetitive lyrics. This song tells you all you need to know about what's still sitting in the CD vault.

i wouldn't want to see any outside writers participate in gnr. i think that's weak. aerosmith have been doing shit like that. i don't like it. screw trying to please the masses! i want to hear music that the artist creates. not some other writer. (and that's not a slight against outside writers. it's just what i want.) same goes for any other kind of art form. i wouldn't buy a painting and then sit back and ponder what i don't like about it, or would change, or if some other artist should have come on and helped paint it. music to me is art. i want to see what axl and his peeps in gnr create. can ya dig it? cool

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I didn't listen to the leaks much and the album sounds dated.  The leaks are not why people think the songs sound dated.  The songs were written for a different era and released 10 - 12 years after that.  Very little music is timeless and CD doesn't fit into that category.

Board footer