You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: what are we disappointed with?

Neemo wrote:

So the last 2 weeks have shown alot of negativity throughout the gnr online communities

the part that gets me most is that we finally all have gotten what we wanted, yet the negativity is almost as, if not higher, than anythign we've seen so far...long time new gnr supporters chanting reunion, the old school diehards claiming i told ya so, media calling it a flop. I'm actually shocked that we arent seeing and reading more "bring slash back" from the media, but the supporters of the new band who want him back

so waht is your big hangup on the record? cuz seriously i think its a pretty awesome effort by all involved...even if it is a bit over the top (though i think we all suspected it would be)

are we all angry at the lack of promotion and sales figures? what really does that say about us as a fanbase? we'd rather have sales than quality music? Can't we really just enjoy this? its a moment we've all waited for for a long long time...yet alot of us are clinging to the negativity that I thought would go away once we reached the promised land..its really a sad state of affairs when you think about it...can we gnr fans never be satisfied?

maybe if we fans showed a bit more support then Axl would be a bit more willing to talk to us once in a while

WeTheLiving
 Rep: 10 

WeTheLiving wrote:

I think the dissapointment is because the album was expected to be some kind of foray into normalcy after 10 years of wierd inconsistencies (at least it looks that way from the outside, who knows what has really been going on). But, CD is released and really its just more of the same-wierd inconsistencies. The album is dropped, GNR dissapears. Its supposed to be "the most anticipated album of all time" (according to advertisements) and its not selling as such.

The material aside (ill get there later) fans on these boards invested a lot into this long endevour and expected to receive some sort of dividend when it was complete-this obviously is not happening. They are recieving no dividend in the form of this thing being accepted as a great comeback, or even as GNR. For those who read this and say "its not the original band, dont compare them" well, its still called GNR-maybe it shouldn't have been. You've got the most recognizalbe rock guitar player of the last generation, instantly recognizable in both is look and sound-a true icon, and hes supposed to be dispensable? Its appearing he isnt-unfortunately its appearing as if this album is increasingly being looked at as a VERDICT with respect to the last 15 years of desicions Mr. Rose has made. For right or wrong, but it is morphing into a verdict-and this verdict is in stark contrast to the fanboys who invested years into this thing and thought it was the second coming.

Also, i think that once the album was eventually in everyones CD players the material just couldnt live up to what had grown up around it. I like this album, i think its an interesting band and if it would have been a solo project it might have been the strongest solo project in recent history-but having the GNR name attatched to it, in the end it was just too much. This album is cool, but after listening to it several times, for a few weeks now, it just cant compete with the spontaneous chemistry that was the original GNR.

Thus, here we are and everything is essentially the same as it has been- really wierd. None of this has ever made any sense really and it probably never will. But in that regard it has been very consistant.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I'm not disappointed at all.  The album was what I expected.  The sales results are what I expected.  The sentiment about going forward is what I expected. 

I guess I'm only disappointed in the supposed die hard fans of the new band jumping ship as they have (not that I blame them).  I really thought people were more into the new band than it turns out they really were.  It's just amazing that I had arguments with people over the years (even recently) and those people are now suddenly a lot more on my side now that the album is out.  I would stand by the AFD/UYI band no matter what happend - even if they got back together for a cash grab, I'd have no problem with it.  If they did a shitty album?  No problem with it.  If it's just a R&R HoF show?  No problem with it.  But I guess it's tough to feel that strongly about something that never really existed.

Sky Dog wrote:

All I ever wanted was the album and I got it. I wanted Axl Rose singing on record again. In the end, I am a little disappointed at sales SO FAR but really don't care what happens after this as long as Axl is doing something. Reunion? Fine. New band Chinese tour? Fine as long as Tommy is a part of it. Whatever happens, happens. The record is what I expected and I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the Illusions....no need to debate what is better because I enjoy both. I enjoyed the old band and some things about the new band. The odyssey is over for me. Cheers.......or daggers to you few crazies killing each other over in the TWAT section.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

I'm disappointed in the music, the production of the CD, the lack of any sort of real rawness.

I'm also disappointed that Axl lacked the foresight to keep anything close to a functioning band at the time of the release, and that the "band" turned out to be anything but.  Are any of these guys on retainer anymore?

All in all, I'm happy this came out, just so this chapter can be over.  It takes alot of soul searching to realize you went down the wrong path, and I think the response to the CD has shown that the wrong path was taken.

GNRBABY
 Rep: 4 

GNRBABY wrote:
madagas wrote:

All I ever wanted was the album and I got it. I wanted Axl Rose singing on record again. In the end, I am a little disappointed at sales SO FAR but really don't care what happens after this as long as Axl is doing something. Reunion? Fine. New band Chinese tour? Fine as long as Tommy is a part of it. Whatever happens, happens. The record is what I expected and I enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the Illusions....no need to debate what is better because I enjoy both. I enjoyed the old band and some things about the new band. The odyssey is over for me. Cheers.......or daggers to you few crazies killing each other over in the TWAT section.

I feel the same way as madagas about everything. GNR has never ever had "normalcy", and I don't see that ever changing. GNR has always been dangerous and unpredictable and that is what we are still seeing here. That being said, Axl is 45+ and things aren't the same. I don't think he needs to prove or impact the world in any kind of way to justify his existence. If GNR (old or new) tours again there will be riots, cancelled shows, and time when Axl is in a bad mood. This won't change. So, even if this record had sold 750,000 copies it's first week in the US, there was hevy promotion, and a massive tour kicked off this weekend (December 12) we would still have plenty to complain and shake our heads at, because Axl is Axl and there would be "bumps" in the road.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I'm not disappointed at all.  The album was what I expected.  The sales results are what I expected.  The sentiment about going forward is what I expected. 

I guess I'm only disappointed in the supposed die hard fans of the new band jumping ship as they have (not that I blame them).  I really thought people were more into the new band than it turns out they really were.

What new band? The supporters of the Axl-version GN'R were mostly the Robin and Buckethead fans. They have nothing more to support, but Axl, who made even their heroes go away. Well, some of them still support Axl in his silence and loneliness.

Anyway, WeTheLiving summed it all well. 5

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I'm not disappointed with the music, although it lacks the major hit. It's like Manchester United with no Ronaldo on the pitch..it's still good and all but it lacks that nr 1.

I'm truly disappointed over the band and Axl Rose and how they promoted this album. Oh wait, they didn't promote it at all. Not one fucking word coming from anyone. Not Tommy, not Dizzy, and not Axl Rose. Who can blame anyone for just dropping to promote it when the band doesn't even show up? I should have known better judging from 10 years of experience of how this is run, but I was naive enough to think Axl would actually be interested to play ball and promote his album to sell more copies. It simply did not happen. It's beyond embaressing as a GNR fan to see that you're fave band is missing in action when the big battle was coming down. I expected a big bang. And I didn't even get a little poff. And then I'm stuck with the feeling that this album is released by some form of ghost band. It's a huge anti climax. If Axl had showed up for at least one interview and the band had actually showed the world they're alive I would have been satisfied. The amount it has sold just portrays how they failed to come thru at the last possible moment. Everything was lined up. It was just to make a few dates of promotion. If not the band, then at least Axl.

The production is good, the songs are good. You can't blame anyone for having heard 80% of the damn album beforehand. It's all our fault. Imagine having all these songs on this album never having listened to it? But then again, who the hell would have survived being a GNR fan if not one of those leaks happened? The leaks kept us alive.

I'm also majorly disappointed by how HTGTH have turned out. It's become what Fox News is to republicans. A delusional media form that twists the truth and deletes anything they don't like just incase it portrays any kind of truth. What a clusterfuck that is.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

it's hard for me to say exactly what i am dissappointed in since we have no clue if there are future plans or what is going on behind the scenes that may justify or explain the situation.

i'm dissappointed in the tracklist consisting almost 80 percent of leaked and toured songs.

not that i need to defend this opinion here so much but, just in case, the old "he doesn't owe you anything" is not valid when the album has been promised over and over again since the late 2000's. for gnr to turn around after putting us loyal fans on hold for so many years and release primarily a bunch of songs we've already been listening to is unforgivable.

i'm dissapointed with the sales and only because i want to hear the rest of material that we won't get to hear if the album flops and axl retires. more than that i want to hear these songs live and that may not happen for the same reasons.

which leads into my next disspointment which is ... 

the lack of involvement in the release promo from axl rose - an exclusive interview with rolling stone or whoever could have made a big difference in sales. one peformance on tv of this i love featuring axl rose and dizzy reed could have made a big difference in sales.

Board footer