You are not logged in. Please register or login.

MrWonderful
 Rep: 2 

Re: Axl Rose/Dexter forum chat discussion thread

MrWonderful wrote:

People love sayin' that middle trip. Easy to say but not so easy to prove.

Unfortunately it's not in the middle and I can back up every last line in my bit or I wouldn't be here.

You love his work and whatever else. More power to you!

And no, I'm not bitter at least in the sense of how you used it conveys. Felt good gettin' some of that off my chest and as I said that's just the tip.

If that's your honest impression it's definitely not rose colored lenses you're wearing. And I looked up the definition of bitter once in a pocket dictionary and got "having anger at something unjust or evil". I'm not angry but when I am with this particular someone who I thought was once my friend... the definition fits.

Axl sounds like he is talking about indignation.  He feels that his anger isn't personal, but rather a righteous anger....an anger aroused by unjust or evil actions.

Look, I can see that the Axl v. Slash fued got pretty nasty, and Im sure some very regretable (unjust and evil) things were said and done by one or both sides.   It will be interesting to read about Slash's iceburg of unrighteous incidents towards Axl (according to Axl).  Im just not sure that Axl didn't help steer the ship towards this iceburg.

My theory is that what started out as minor conflicts/ differences in opinions escalated into this big blow up because of poor communication and compromise that eventually lead to resentment.  Conflict is a part of any relationship.   Some people are better at dealing with conflict than others.  Conflict resolution (the ability to put yourself in the other persons shoes and come to a compromise or at least to be able to respectfully agree to disagree) is often a skill that is subconsciously learned from watching your parents interact as a child.  I could be off, but Im guessing Axl and Slash weren't brought up in an environment where strong relationship building tools were on display.  Maybe these guys just needed a little counseling.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Of course they weren't Wonderful.

Slash's memories of dealing with relationships was a mother and father divorced, who didn't speak at all, and witnessing his mother having an in-and-out (pardon the expression) fling with David Bowie.

The only time his parents got back in the same room was years later when Slash's girlfriend scheduled an intervention for his heroin addiction, and even then they quickly changed the subject and avoided the conflict.

Axl's upbringing is a freakin' trainwreck. Yet in some weird and sad way, it parallels many of us. Almost every family has dysfunctional issues similar to his upbringing (at least in mine there were), it's just sad for the Bailey's that the volume was on about 26.

Axl himself also said there were differences between him and Slash from day one. But he had a dream, like they all did, to make it. Just like so many others in LA at that time. Axl alluded to needing Slash to make it come together.

That does not make friends. Maybe somewhere down the line a friendship began, that eventually soured on some level, but at it's base core, it was a marriage of convience.

None of those work out.

It's like the chick that marries the guy for his money, but not for love. I'm not saying GN'R did it for the money, what i'm saying is Axl married Slash for the ART so to speak. To make the whole thing work.

In hind sight, they were two polar opposite personalities. If you go back and read Slash's book, he says even then Axl didn't hang out with the band alot. He kind of did his thing. Now Axl might have something to say about that, but on paper - that's where it stands.

Bottom line - they were co-workers from day one, and eventually they moved on to other jobs. Not everyone you work with can be the guy you invite over to your house two Saturdays out of the month for BBQ, ya know?

The reason it sticks out for GN'R is the fact that for any rock band, the vocalist/frontman and lead guitarist are the centerpieces and image of the band. The rocket took off with Axl & Slash leading the way, and people correlated with that. In Axl's eyes, he tried to make it work. In Slash's eyes, he tried to make it work. In reality it was fate. It was destined to come to an end, no matter how hard either of them theorhetically tried to make it work.

I believe Axl when he speaks of the "never was 6th old GN'R album". I do because it makes the most sense, and has been rumored for years. At that point there was so much tension involved, that he could do nothing right. He wanted to rework the sessions to put his own little contribution to it, and that was just unacceptable. In Slash's eyes, he saw it as an authoritive Axl once again taking his work and remaking it in his own image.

And what did they both do? Ran from the problem like they were taught. Axl holed himself up in his home, and Slash quit GN'R and ran off to do other things. Not much different than a few years earlier than that Axl took off from Lafayette for LA, and Slash sunk himself into drugs, booze, and women to forget his childhood. It's got nothing to do with having 'liberal parents', it's got to do with having 'non-existant parents'.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Now that is a fucking good post axlin08.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Dexter wrote:

"  I haven't been involved much in any of our merch and the reasons are it's been a mess legally for years. Unbeknownst to most of you I was recently sued again by Duff and Slash for some murky Merckiness that I was unaware and not involved in. Fortunately that was resolved but it got ugly and took a while going into arbitration.

Merck shifted our merch from some of our newer styles to incorporating more of the old with some scam that actually and surprisingly lost sales in comparison but that's old news.

What I look forward to is incorporating the new artwork into our merch and getting some for myself. I think u'll like a lot of it. My vote's for the How Are You grenade and the Sorry automatic rifle artwork on shirts etc."

Do you think that means that the pistols and roses design used to promote the 06 tour could have infringed an agreement with the old Guns about the original logo?

Mabye they have agreed to allow continued use of the pistol and roses design, but would be entitled to a percentage of merchendise sales, thats why in 2001/2002 everything was redesigned. It was only in 2006 the old logo and font were "incorporated"  back into designs.

Axl also seems to acknowlege, slightly, that Duff and Slash suing had some justification and its now resolved.
Seems like this was Merck's idea and he fucked up, could be another reason he got the boot.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

The merch.com site suddenly had some old designs popping up a few years ago. Maybe it's that.

Locomotive98
 Rep: 17 

Locomotive98 wrote:

Interesting stuff. I wonder if Best Buy will get some hassle over the free tshirt that they put out with CD that featured the old logo.

Sky Dog wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Of course they weren't Wonderful.

Slash's memories of dealing with relationships was a mother and father divorced, who didn't speak at all, and witnessing his mother having an in-and-out (pardon the expression) fling with David Bowie.

The only time his parents got back in the same room was years later when Slash's girlfriend scheduled an intervention for his heroin addiction, and even then they quickly changed the subject and avoided the conflict.

Axl's upbringing is a freakin' trainwreck. Yet in some weird and sad way, it parallels many of us. Almost every family has dysfunctional issues similar to his upbringing (at least in mine there were), it's just sad for the Bailey's that the volume was on about 26.

Axl himself also said there were differences between him and Slash from day one. But he had a dream, like they all did, to make it. Just like so many others in LA at that time. Axl alluded to needing Slash to make it come together.

That does not make friends. Maybe somewhere down the line a friendship began, that eventually soured on some level, but at it's base core, it was a marriage of convience.

None of those work out.

It's like the chick that marries the guy for his money, but not for love. I'm not saying GN'R did it for the money, what i'm saying is Axl married Slash for the ART so to speak. To make the whole thing work.

In hind sight, they were two polar opposite personalities. If you go back and read Slash's book, he says even then Axl didn't hang out with the band alot. He kind of did his thing. Now Axl might have something to say about that, but on paper - that's where it stands.

Bottom line - they were co-workers from day one, and eventually they moved on to other jobs. Not everyone you work with can be the guy you invite over to your house two Saturdays out of the month for BBQ, ya know?

The reason it sticks out for GN'R is the fact that for any rock band, the vocalist/frontman and lead guitarist are the centerpieces and image of the band. The rocket took off with Axl & Slash leading the way, and people correlated with that. In Axl's eyes, he tried to make it work. In Slash's eyes, he tried to make it work. In reality it was fate. It was destined to come to an end, no matter how hard either of them theorhetically tried to make it work.

I believe Axl when he speaks of the "never was 6th old GN'R album". I do because it makes the most sense, and has been rumored for years. At that point there was so much tension involved, that he could do nothing right. He wanted to rework the sessions to put his own little contribution to it, and that was just unacceptable. In Slash's eyes, he saw it as an authoritive Axl once again taking his work and remaking it in his own image.

And what did they both do? Ran from the problem like they were taught. Axl holed himself up in his home, and Slash quit GN'R and ran off to do other things. Not much different than a few years earlier than that Axl took off from Lafayette for LA, and Slash sunk himself into drugs, booze, and women to forget his childhood. It's got nothing to do with having 'liberal parents', it's got to do with having 'non-existant parents'.

"We always did feel the same, just saw it from a different point of view. Tangled Up in Blue...."   Bob Dylan

if you read all the stories rom Axl-Slash-Duff-Izzy, they all seem to be generally in the same ballpark with each other. In reality, all their versions are fairly similar. But, obviously each saw the real facts in very different ways. neutral

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I've seen some new GNR shirts with Slash on them and his name in the logo. That could be it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Dexter wrote:

"  I haven't been involved much in any of our merch and the reasons are it's been a mess legally for years. Unbeknownst to most of you I was recently sued again by Duff and Slash for some murky Merckiness that I was unaware and not involved in. Fortunately that was resolved but it got ugly and took a while going into arbitration.

Merck shifted our merch from some of our newer styles to incorporating more of the old with some scam that actually and surprisingly lost sales in comparison but that's old news.

What I look forward to is incorporating the new artwork into our merch and getting some for myself. I think u'll like a lot of it. My vote's for the How Are You grenade and the Sorry automatic rifle artwork on shirts etc."

Do you think that means that the pistols and roses design used to promote the 06 tour could have infringed an agreement with the old Guns about the original logo?

Mabye they have agreed to allow continued use of the pistol and roses design, but would be entitled to a percentage of merchendise sales, thats why in 2001/2002 everything was redesigned. It was only in 2006 the old logo and font were "incorporated"  back into designs.

Axl also seems to acknowlege, slightly, that Duff and Slash suing had some justification and its now resolved.
Seems like this was Merck's idea and he fucked up, could be another reason he got the boot.

Precisely. You got it.

If you go back and read Slash's book, Slash claims that HE was the one that created the pistols & roses GN'R logo. Their very first logo. He drew it up one evening, being a half-way decent artist.

That logo hadn't been used since the AFD days, and suddenly during the 2006 tour it was resurrected, just with the new GN'R - G&R - logo on the bottom.

I'm guessing that's it too. Merck used something Slash had intellectual ownership of, and slapped new GN'R logos on it, and making merch without Slash's approval. Something i'm guessing Axl didn't know about til the train was already in motion.

It's also no shock that they've discontinued that logo. Cool thing is, I wonder if it'll become a collector's item? I've got a denim jacket & a T-shirt with that logo.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

looks like this Kerrang paragraph was bogus

14 Yeah, looks like they pulled fake song titles out of a hat. We'll probably edit out the trash from sections in that sidebar.

the sidebar has been edited to include all the info Axl gave us on the weekend, i kept the bogus titles though just to keep a record...also motor mouth was a bunch of bullshit like i originally thought, and the rumored Dizzy frathouse party interview

also in the threads for the individual titles i've included any info he gave us...for now i'm going on the assumption that the "checkmate" clip is "the general" who knows how true that is though

http://www.gnrevolution.com/disc.php?id=3361

Board footer