You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Axl Rose/Dexter forum chat discussion thread

Axlin16 wrote:

Definitely the million dollar. I'm guessing, maybe they have absolutely nothing in common at all towards music, business, and their perspectives on life.

Some people just mix like oil & water in a room, for no reason at all. Maybe that's Axl & Slash.

Just taking a stab...

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

We'll probably never know. In reality we know so little of that relationship that it is silly when any of us try to think we know what Axl is thinking, or Slash is thinking.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

We'll probably never know. In reality we know so little of that relationship that it is silly when any of us try to think we know what Axl is thinking, or Slash is thinking.

You should all do like me.  I don't care why.  The main thing for me is that Axl is willing to work with Izzy.  And that will give way better music than any collaboration between Axl and Slash and that is a fact.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

You should all do like me.  I don't care why.  The main thing for me is that Axl is willing to work with Izzy.  And that will give way better music than any collaboration between Axl and Slash and that is a fact.

Is it a fact?  What has Axl done with Izzy that didn't have any contribution from Slash?  I love Izzy as much as anybody and see him as the key to the success of GnR's original music, but let's be realistic at least.  Slash by default as the lead guitarist impacted every song he was on.  Izzy, while an important part of the songwriting for most of AFD and some of UYI, had little to do with the writing side of Axl's songs. 

Axl + Slash = Coma, Estranged, NR
Axl + Izzy - Slash = ???

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Axl + Izzy + a little to no Slash = Think about you, Anything Goes, 14 Years, Right next door to hell

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Don't Cry, You Could Be Mine.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
NY Giants82 wrote:

Is it a fact?  What has Axl done with Izzy that didn't have any contribution from Slash?  I love Izzy as much as anybody and see him as the key to the success of GnR's original music, but let's be realistic at least.  Slash by default as the lead guitarist impacted every song he was on.  Izzy, while an important part of the songwriting for most of AFD and some of UYI, had little to do with the writing side of Axl's songs. 

Axl + Slash = Coma, Estranged, NR
Axl + Izzy - Slash = ???

And to be fair any contribution between Izzy and Slash would be better than any contribution between Axl and Slash.  Izzy was able to bring the best out of them while bringing out the best in him.  Seriously, had VR been able to get Izzy.  Contraband and Libertad would've been 100 times better.  If I could only have either Izzy or Slash in my band you can bet your ass that I would choose Izzy and without hesitating a nanosecond.  And by saying that I do not want to undermine Slash's talent, but as far as songwriting musically is concerned, Izzy smokes both Axl and Slash.  And had Axl been able to bring back Izzy for CD, I would've loved to see what he and Buckethead could've done. 11

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

So Slash didn't put solos on any of those songs?  If you're not counting that, then you have to throw out Axl singing the chorus on 14 years.  TABY, AG are considered by many the filler (if there was filler) on AFD and RNDTH is filler on UYI I.  DC is regarded as one of the weaker singles and YCBM is more known for the video than the song itself.

Anyway, I'll take Coma and Estranged over any of those songs.  I'm not trying to diminish what Izzy did - I think he was great and the key to getting Axl's ideas to work with a Stones type feel to it.  But as far as him and Axl (or Axl alone) creating masterpieces without input from Slash (or others in some cases), I just don't see it.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

And to be fair any contribution between Izzy and Slash would be better than any contribution between Axl and Slash.  Izzy was able to bring the best out of them while bringing out the best in him.  Seriously, had VR been able to get Izzy.  Contraband and Libertad would've been 100 times better.

I agree with this 100%.  Izzy and Slash complimented each other as a lead/rhythm combo as well as anybody (imo).  That is one of the reasons I love old GnR is the play between the 2 guitars.  That's missing from VR.  They try, but it just doesn't work as well.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

So Slash didn't put solos on any of those songs?  If you're not counting that, then you have to throw out Axl singing the chorus on 14 years.  TABY, AG are considered by many the filler (if there was filler) on AFD and RNDTH is filler on UYI I.  DC is regarded as one of the weaker singles and YCBM is more known for the video than the song itself.

Anyway, I'll take Coma and Estranged over any of those songs.  I'm not trying to diminish what Izzy did - I think he was great and the key to getting Axl's ideas to work with a Stones type feel to it.  But as far as him and Axl (or Axl alone) creating masterpieces without input from Slash (or others in some cases), I just don't see it.

Izzy, Axl and Bucket.  Man CD would've been 100 times better as well.  It's all a matter of opinion, but Izzy's solo stuff while not successful was way better than anything Slash did post GNR.  Again a matter of opinion.

Board footer