You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Axl Rose/Dexter forum chat discussion thread

Olorin wrote:

Fuckin amazing song!

Funny how people say it was panned by the media on release, mabye in the US... But I read a couple of reviews in magazines, they were the only place I seen it mentioned and they wernt even music magazines. One was a computer mag and one was a mens mag, FHM I think... wish I kept them, it was a long time ago and all I remember was that they were praising the song and praising how Axl hadnt just hired a Slash clone and was obviously trying to do something different in his absense.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

OMG caused a bit of a WTF with people I know just because the previous track was the Sympathy for the Devil cover.

And for guitar heads there's some significant differences there. There was short of a shock value to it that made some people close their minds.

I agree with what's been said about the lyrics though. I love them.

A girl recently invited me to a poetry night where people read out poems and stuff - I'm considering bringing OMG and delivering it out loud as a spoken word poem. Even away from its musical context I think those words are sort of powerful and it would work.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I still think WTF.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I still think WTF.

haha I am with Buzz. Guitar solo sounds like a video game. But I do really like the lyrics.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

axl saves and ruins the song

hes brilliant on it

but

his voice is forever engrained into our soles with the likes of jungle, sweet child, november rain, etc.

the farther he moves away from that sound the weirder it sounds to the current fans and the less credit he gets for his work.

the song is great imo

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

At first I was like "THAT is Guns N' Roses? No it's not!"

But then I played it back, and thought, "it's not GN'R, but it's really fucking good". So I liked it from the start.

Today? I think it's the best bonafide rocker to come out of the CD era.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

Annoying that those lyrics are wrong in the video...  but a great song.
Kept me going in 2002 after the tour ended!

(and after a depressing fall semester freshman year in college!)

I didn't really get OMG until 2002. Heard it on the radio just as I was getting into GNR. "WTF...where's Use Your Illusion III and IV???"

Honestly if there was... 1.) Touring or appearances, 2.) It was attached to a much better and popular AArrrrnooollddd movie, I think it would have caught on more. I heard it on the radio 1 time.

Maybe if the single had a B-side that was more... The Blues. (not saying that song had been recorded yet, but... something more traditional).

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

That shit was never going to fly as GnR to the general public.  I still can't believe people have this pipe dream that if things had just gone this way or that way it would have been a success.  It wasn't going to happen.  20 years after UYI, most people still don't accept the new band.  Think about that for a bit.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Well it didn't fly so I have to agree there. Still kickass though. Love Axls voice there. Raw and powerful like nothing else out there. Far as rockers go I consider it somewhat of an uniqium.

Board footer