You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Re: Brian May Talks About Catcher n The Rye

Mikkamakka wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I don't believe in the blame BB theory. They ordered 1.3 million copies and paid for that. That's a lot of money and as it seems, there is little to no chance for them to capitalize on it. Maybe in some stores the employees were lazy, I don't know, but they couldn't have done more to promote it without the GN'R camp's involvement. Not releasing a video and not giving interviews were the biggest mistakes.

Putting it in Best Buy instead of Wal-Mart was the biggest mistake. Wal-Mart is everywhere, Best Buy isn't. And people go to Wal-Mart not for electronics crap but mainly for groceries and essential things.

I see your point and absolutely agree, but it seems that the only way the album got a chance to be released was a BB or Walmart-type deal, where the chain pays in advance. Axl spent so much of the record company's money on this record for years that it's clear they wanted back as much as they could. BB was a fool to agree on the deal. I don't think Axl suffered financially, although, despite what a lot of people say, he/his rock star image suffers badly of the low sales. Anyway, I seriously doubt Axl had no say in this decision, although I'm not sure if his position was strong enough to do too much against it.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

tejastech08 wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I don't believe in the blame BB theory. They ordered 1.3 million copies and paid for that. That's a lot of money and as it seems, there is little to no chance for them to capitalize on it. Maybe in some stores the employees were lazy, I don't know, but they couldn't have done more to promote it without the GN'R camp's involvement. Not releasing a video and not giving interviews were the biggest mistakes.

Putting it in Best Buy instead of Wal-Mart was the biggest mistake. Wal-Mart is everywhere, Best Buy isn't. And people go to Wal-Mart not for electronics crap but mainly for groceries and essential things. In a time of huge economic struggle across the country, electronics go out the window and it gets down to the bare essentials as far as what people are willing to shop for.

Bingo--I work for/package enterprise solutions for Fortune 500 companies.  We work with the top five hardware/software/service suppliers in America--business to business sales are down over 25% year over year.  The suits cover it, so the books don't look as bad, with residual cash flow streams, and other accounting tricks.  From what I gather, tech retail sales are down upwards of 25-40%--the Best Buy accountants are doing a good job showing just a 77% drop in profits.  Heck Circuit City just closed a few hundred stores. 

Actions speak louder than words--they just offered a ERP to all executives--not just older executives, all executives company-wide.  It's unprecedented.  Put it this way--Best Buy, and one can tell just going to their stores, is in dire shape.  Their in-store traffic is way lower than it was a year ago during the X-mas shopping season.  I have been in three, and they were practically empty this week.  Nuts, and scary!  It's laughable, they are now trying to pin their downfall on Axl in the press today, and on their earnings call.  An utter joke--the electronics/residual income sector of the economy is tanking, and as a company, they are in big trouble if one $12 item is bringing them down. 

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/b … ist=msr_29

UPDATE--surprisingly, CD sold about 50K last week, which is pretty good.  Much better than I thought--56 second week, and 50 third, indicates to me the sudden drop is not quite what some expected.  Interesting:rock:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Thanks for the Brian May stuff.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Axlin08 wrote:

Thanks for the Brian May stuff.

Well, Brian's solo, imho, is superior to the solo on the final version.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
Neemo wrote:

but I remember having strong 'producorial' feelings about making sure Axl's great vocals didn't get swamped in too much guitar ornamentation.

which is eventually what happened.. at least on catcher

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Neanderpaul wrote:

Either way, it doesn't really matter. The song is what it is. The masses will never hear what Brian did. And quite frankly, aren't really interested in what did come out. Although it gives people something to discuss. Knowing how selective certain people are regarding events, and combined with Brian May's reputation as completely credible, I'd tip the scales toward his recollections. But this is really smoke n' mirrors to distract from the real things people were focused on; Chinese Democracy has been a disappointment. And, the reunion rumors. Remember...nobody said it wasn't happening. They're all saying "there are no plans." Which means lawyers, and managers are working feverishly behind the scenes to see if it's possible. The rumor is that the Slash/Axl bitchfest needs to work itself out. After that...all is considered a go. We'll see.

I don't disagree that even after all that Axl said the other day that a reunion isn't exactly completely out of the question.  BUT, I seriously couldn't see it happening anytime soon, if at all and right now I'd lean to it NEVER happening.  If it were to occur it'd probably be a longer wait than we had for CD.  So if your "rumors" are telling you it might happen anytime soon, I respectfully and strongly disagree.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

There are no reunion rumors.

The only rumors even close to pointing to a reunion are when Axl said he'd welcome back Bucket or Robin.

There is hope for a reunion, or hopelessness depending on how you look at it. Hope does not equal rumor.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
faldor wrote:
Neanderpaul wrote:

Either way, it doesn't really matter. The song is what it is. The masses will never hear what Brian did. And quite frankly, aren't really interested in what did come out. Although it gives people something to discuss. Knowing how selective certain people are regarding events, and combined with Brian May's reputation as completely credible, I'd tip the scales toward his recollections. But this is really smoke n' mirrors to distract from the real things people were focused on; Chinese Democracy has been a disappointment. And, the reunion rumors. Remember...nobody said it wasn't happening. They're all saying "there are no plans." Which means lawyers, and managers are working feverishly behind the scenes to see if it's possible. The rumor is that the Slash/Axl bitchfest needs to work itself out. After that...all is considered a go. We'll see.

I don't disagree that even after all that Axl said the other day that a reunion isn't exactly completely out of the question.  BUT, I seriously couldn't see it happening anytime soon, if at all and right now I'd lean to it NEVER happening.  If it were to occur it'd probably be a longer wait than we had for CD.  So if your "rumors" are telling you it might happen anytime soon, I respectfully and strongly disagree.

I would not want to see them reunite unless it is VERY soon while they still have some talent left.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
faldor wrote:
Neanderpaul wrote:

I would not want to see them reunite unless it is VERY soon while they still have some talent left.

Still have some talent left? That's a joke right? 14

It's not a matter of talent, but a matter of vision.  They have to has the hindsight not to make the same shit over again. 

Personally, i feel that with at least 2 of the original members, there is still plenty of vision left.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Yeah, same here. I don't wanna see 60-year old clowns playing It's So Easy or Estranged. ('Old at heart but I'm only 65')

Board footer