You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: U2 - Acoustic Achtung Babies

bigbri wrote:

Listening again right now. I love some of the interesting noises/whirrs/squeals in No Line, particularly one in the left channel.

During the first 6 seconds of Magnificent I'm waiting for "Black Betty" to start. This is gonna be the big radio hit, right? Maybe single No. 2. I know this is probably an Eno thing, but I don't dig the hand-claps. A small thing.

I must have got a bad download. At 2:17 in Moment there's a glitch. U2 wouldn't let that happen, just Axl. This is a great song. Love, LOVE the Edge solo here. Too short.

Unknown Caller. Don't like it too much. The chorus is weird too me. Musically great. Something about the chorus, you guys know what I mean. I don't want to be too detailed and give it away.

That's it for now.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:

we're a decade off in age I assume....and you are a Dj...right? So, the 90's U2 is your deal. I was in college in 1986, Athens Ga, college radio was ruled by REM, U2, and the Replacements. You dance with the one that brought ya...it's all good. I got the ipod going now and the sound is really really wonderful. The music and ambience is fabulous. I will probably catch up to the melodies soon...I'm slow like that.:beer:

Sounds about right with the age difference Madagas. I graduated highschool in 1996. BUT having said that I don't think being a dj has anything to do with my 90's prefrence. I'm not a big dance music fan. I love it in a  club but outside of a club I never listen to it.  And to be honest Achtung Baby was my favorite U2 album before I started djing. I just found that Achtung was a darker album with more jump to it and from start to finish it's hands down the strongest in my opinion.  Pop doesn't have the classics that Joshua Tree or UF have but for me it's a much more interesting album from start to finish.  Joshua Tree just has too many classic though for me to rank POP ahead of it. POP was never this dance record though that the general public percieved it to be. Achtung Baby is actually more dancey I think. Zooropa  was a bit off but for me it has three classics(Numb, Lemon and the insanely underapreciated Stay(Far away, so close) Oddly all singles).

For the record my first U2 album was POP followed by Rattle and Hum and then Joshua Tree and then Achtung Baby.  Me falling in love with tehm is fucked up casue in Highschool I hated Achtung Baby and Zooropa. I thought it was "Gay" roll

James: I'm not worried about having the moment ruined by a low quality leak. You guys seem to think it's great quality so I'm sold on that. For me it's just all part of that big day.   If I listen now then going to the HMV to pick it up on March 3rd doesn't mean as much. 16 I'm weird I guess.

Bigbri wrote:

I don't want to be too detailed and give it away.

14 No worries man. Spill the beans. Trust me I've read enough comments over at interference.com  which have been detail overloaded. I can't listen right now so I like reading about it.

I love No Line On the Horizon. Great song  I think and I've warmed up to Boots big time. I love the flow of the lyrics in both the chorus and verses in that song. Boots sounds way better when I hear it right after NLOTH. For some reason when hearing it in context with another song off the album it works and sounds much better.

As for my album rankings I made a mistake.

1. Achtung Baby
2. Boy
3. Joshua Tree(not War which I consider one of their weaker albums)
4. Pop
5. again I can't rank them after 4th.

Bono

Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:

Alright, I will be the first to break the ice...when listening to this album vs Chinese, the main thing that stands out is the production. Lanois and Eno nail it. Chinese sounds like there are 6 different producers and ....there are. This album has a lot of shit going on....great Pitman type stuff as well as great guitar work and vocal nuances. However, this album uses the guitar and instruments more appropriately and highlights Bono's voice in a cool way. Whereas Axl's voice gets buried sometimes, Bono's is front and center with very little effects. Cedars of Lebanon...listen to that one to know what I am saying.

Thank god. 16  I was worried the production on this album would be an issue with all the different things going on and the things they said they were trying. They actualy had three producers for this album. Eno and Lanois are the main guys but as usual they brought Steve Lillywhite in near the end of the sessions to hammer some things out. 

I wonder what ever became of all the stuff they worked on with Rick Rubin? Maybe that'll be the second album that Bono was hinting about. I'm still shocked that Bono suggested they want to release another album by the end of the year. I think he's blowing smoke up our asses.:laugh:

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I will re-listen, soon. White As Snow is the best track, in my opinion.

Deep lyrics.

"Where I came from there were no hills at all
The land was flat, the highway straight and wide
My brother and I would drive for hours
Like we had years instead of days
Our faces as pale as the dirty snow

Once I knew there was a love divine
Then came a time I thought it knew me not
Who can forgive forgiveness where forgiveness is not
Only the lamb as white as snow

And the water, it was icy
As it washed over me
And the moon shone above me

Now this dry ground it bears no fruit at all
Only poppies laugh under the crescent moon
The road refuses strangers
The land the seeds we sow
Where might we find the lamb as white as snow

As boys we would go hunting in the woods
To sleep the night shooting out the stars
Now the wolves are every passing stranger
Every face we cannot know
If only a heart could be as white as snow
If only a heart could be as white as snow"

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I would never consider a Bono a weak link in any regard whatsoever. Hell, he blows 99.9% of the artists discussed here completely off the stage. U2 was the ONLY band in 1991 that could give that pre-Gilby UYI line up a run for its money.

I guess I insinuated he is a weak link on that specific track, but I think its a case of just trying too hard to get the song completed.

saikin, you should definitely dive into their discography. Don't take the easy way out with a hits record either because you'll miss too many gems. Start with The Joshua Tree. If songs on that don't move you, then just give up. 16

I just meant weak link on that track, but that's of course for the standard set by the rest of the band, which is way up there.  It's really in no way an insult to Bono whatsoever.  To me, he's the part that drags that song down a little.  It just doesn't quite fit with the rest of it I think. 

I'll download The Joshua Tree this weekend.  I never download an artists GH to first get into them.  In fact, I still don't have Soundgarden's GH. 16  Never really needed it.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Listening again right now. I love some of the interesting noises/whirrs/squeals in No Line, particularly one in the left channel.

During the first 6 seconds of Magnificent I'm waiting for "Black Betty" to start. This is gonna be the big radio hit, right? Maybe single No. 2. I know this is probably an Eno thing, but I don't dig the hand-claps. A small thing.

I must have got a bad download. At 2:17 in Moment there's a glitch. U2 wouldn't let that happen, just Axl. This is a great song. Love, LOVE the Edge solo here. Too short.

Unknown Caller. Don't like it too much. The chorus is weird too me. Musically great. Something about the chorus, you guys know what I mean. I don't want to be too detailed and give it away.

That's it for now.

Lol just noticed the Black Betty thing. and this album is amazing. Funny how right when i started listening to U2 alot the album leaks.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:

LOVING the drums on this album

EDIT:
White As Snow is seeming to be an epic U2 ballad

Bono

Bono wrote:

I had Saikin in mind when I read this but it's for anyone interested. It's not the most in depth analysis of the album POP but it is coming from fellow Gn'R fans.  I'm gonna stray from NLOTH for  bit since I haven't heard it yet but you guys carry on and chime in if you feel like it.  here's the link to the POP thread at mygnr  http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=137826

Bono

Bono wrote:

The following is  a post I made earlier in this thread but I'll
rehash it anyways

U2's most Underrated album: POP

I think is  a massively underated album. or at the very least gets a real bad rap undeservedly so.  I think it had alot of things going against it at the time. First it was the dawn of the new age in pop music where Backstreet Boys and Spice Girls were starting to blow up. Then U2 comes along and releases an album called "Pop". Ouch. No doubt that turned alot of people off. Then you add in the title of the first single Discotheque(which just sounds like a dance song) and a video for it where the members are dressed up like the Village People dancing around in a nightclub psychedelic atmosphere and you've got instant resistence from the non hardcore fanbase. I really think that stuff hurt the album out of the gate. It's got some amazing songs on it but perception is reality. ALOT of people I've met who say it's a bad album say so based on their perception, what they've heard others say about it and the three things I mentioned earlier. I really think subconsciencly that turned people off. I dont think the music had as much to do with the "failure" that POP is made out to be as people think. It seems very few who claim to dislike POP have even heard the album. It always comes back to the video for Discothque. "Oh that album was terrible. Discotheque was so gay". Really? What about Starring at the Sun, Last Night on Earth, Gone, Velvet Dress, Playboy Mansion, If God will Send his Angles, MOFO? That album is kickass U2. Yet it's like hardly anyone knows these songs. Also even though the Popmart tour was freaking amazing I think it had gotten to the point where the music was getting left behind. The show had become too big and more improtant than the actual music and people were starting to think "enough is enough" POP in my opinion is a better album than their last two. Maybe it suffered CD syndrom.  16  I really think the album was dubbed shitty by people for no apparent reason.  I haven't really met anyone who really dislikes Discotheque and alot of people do really like and remember Starring at the Sun so why not the album when the album has alot of good(better) songs on it? Perception is reality. So many people were led to believe it was a dance pop album and they wanted nothing to do with "dance U2". The album couldn't be further from a  dance album. Achtung Baby is more "POP" than POP. 16 then again maybe people did just hate it but I dont' really think so. I'd rank it in the middle of U2's albums. Better than Bomb, ATYCLB, Zooropa, Unforgettabe Fire, October and maybe Rattle and Hum.

Bono

Bono wrote:

U2's true masterpiece: Achtung Baby

In my honest opinion I think Achtung Baby is their masterpiece. Everything about that album is amazing to me. Sonically, themeatically, Lyrically, the attitude of the band, the imagery of the band. It's such a crazy departure from the Joshua Tree/ Rattle and Hum era. They went from this "righteous/preachy" group who's songs were to the point to this over the top self indulgent rock group blasting out irony at level 10. It still blows me away that they were able to change just about everything about themsleves and actually gain even more fans without alienating the old fans. To do it with such an irony that it didn't come off as fake or contrived is awesome. They had no reason to change, they were on top fo the world yet they did it anyways. I know some people who will say the transition from War to The Unforgettable Fire is a much greater leap but I disagree. And I know alot of people like to talk about how Radiohead was so brave when they made their leap from O.k. Computer to Kid A but I honestly think what U2 did coming out of the 80's and into the 90's was so much more impressive and I really love Radiohead. As far as the music goes on Achtung Baby I think it's the greatest album ever. It's U2's best album from start to finish and its got pretty much everything. The rock songs, the ballads, the pop songs, and the dark songs. It's one of the few albums that ends stronger than it begins. Ultraviolet, Acrobat and Love is Blindness is an epic close to an album. It's the best ever for me. This album opend the doors to what U2 could be instead if them being pigeon holed into the characitures they'd become in the late 80's. Without Achtung Baby there is no U2 today cause the band would've faded durring the grunge era had they relased another R&H, JT or even UF type album.  And let's be honest it's Achtung Baby that makes people expect creative things from U2. It's that album that gives U2 fans hope that the band will push themselves. Not the material from the 80's as great as it is.

Board footer