You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: What affect did the leaks have on you?

Olorin wrote:

None of the leaks blew me away like the early live versions of Maddy, The Blues and CD.
So I guess the leaks helped dilute the fantasy I had in my head that the new album was going to an orgasmic musical masterpiece, that would even succeed my expectations.
I was imagining an album that would be the 21st century Dark Side Of The Moon or The Wall, I was imagining a conceptial polictically charged album that addressed modern life.

With the leaks that fantasy went up with a puff of smoke. I liked IRS and Catcher, thought Better was numetal dirge (took a long time to grow on me), TWAT was meh.
The skwerl leaks with new song 2 and ITW were pretty underwhelming but generally ok songs.

I dont think they damaged my enjoyment of the album, just prepared me for what would have probably been a little bit of a disapointment. Only a disapointment because i had my own expectations.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i dont think it affected me all that much i didnt dl the latest 3 tracks, i saved those and i wasnt constantly listening to the leaks either...but i can see why some peopel would be tired of the music already, cuz some of you crazy's were listening to the leaks like nonstop for the past 6 years 16

metallex78 wrote:

Earlier versions of some of the leaks I felt were superior than what we ended up with too.

people feel that way because they have listend to the leaks so many times that the final versions seem like an alternate take or a fan edit...and I've had a theory for a while that one the album came out that peopel wouldnt like it because they were so used to the leaks

strat0 wrote:

For me the leaks didn't spoil it because i didn';t listen to them everyday like some. they were just shuffled in  with everything on my ipod and itunes library.

I rarely listened to the leaks..i listened just to check it out, but i didnt constantly play them over and over because i didnt weanna burm myself out on them...that and i'm not the kind of person who can listen to the same stuff over and over..i need variety

skippy wrote:

I was hoping those songs would blow what we had heard away, which was promising with the "Better" leaks and we got bad versions of "If the World" and "Prostitute", which ended all hope that there was something magical hidden in the vault.

thats a misconception that came from the nutswingers at the forums...these are DEMOS, remember what teh NR demo sounded like? well these demos will be that much better than the final cuts too...it was all a fantasy, and in the end this attitude hurt the album IMO

Cav
 Rep: 1 

Cav wrote:

I purposefully didn't listen to any of the leaks, as a musician myself i know how urksome it is when people get hold of works in progress, unfinished songs and lyrics that you aint happy with and don't want people to hear in that form. I hold all these things dear to me and put my soul into a song then i wan t people to hear it on my terms, not a half finished mock up which i've recorded in order to play back to myself, or to play for a certain respected person, say a band mate for instance, to get an outside opinion on how it is coming along and what may improve it.

I totally understand axl suing and personally wanted to hear the album and the songs in the format they were intended and in the context they were intended. Not a crappy recording of an unfinished work in progress by itself when it's meant to sit within the wider context of an album which as a whole is an emotional rollercoaster ride.

The only songs i had heard were Chinese Democracy, Madagascar and "teh blues" which axl decided to play at the gig's i'd seen him play at.

I suspect that when he does tour it he may play the album in it's entirety from to back and follow that with some of the older material, and hopefully even newer material if he feels it ready to put into the set.

As for others, i think the majority of people made up their minds on chinese democracy a long time ago and they were never gonna like if. My girlfriend listend to it through on cd once and decided it was crap and not a patch on old-guns. A friend of mine gave it one listen, through laptop speakers, streamed from myspace, and decided it was rubbish. That isn't and informed opinion, that is a token gesture to try and give justification to a preconcieved opinion on an alum which, in actuality, is fantastic.

I was guilty of the reverse when contraband came out. Thre ex gnr members on an album? I loved it before i heard it. now there are only 3 songs i like as much as i did and the rest I'd called "listenable". As for Libertad and aint life grand, i think both those albums are gash. I hope Slash's forthcoming solo album is a return to the sort of form he has been sorely lacking since 95's Five o'clock somewhere.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

it factored heavily for me....
i DL'd Death Magnetic a week before it came out... i LOVED it... but by the time it was actually released, i had listened to it sooo much.. i grew tired of it and the songs didn't seem as great...i put it away for a month.. now it's fresh to me again...
CD is a whole different level.. because some of the songs have been in HEAVY rotation in my car for YEARS...that initial excited magic is LONG gone.. i just try to remember how i first felt when i heard the songs.. and how much i loved them... that's enough for me. they were fucked with... and while they may be better or worse than before.. i'm sure we can all think really hard.. remember the first time?
wasn't it awesome?
the officially released chinese democracy to me is a glorified remix album of material i've loved for a loooong time...some good ... some bad... some great.. some shitty....but in the end, the reason we're all here.. was the journey.. i still have all the old leaks ... and i listen to them....just like i always have...
and it's still not over.. there's more material waiting to be heard and i think that once BB has sold every copy that they bought... we'll get the proper release with all the artwork that axl was talking about... and maybe it'll be a double album... who knows... but the excitement is still strong for me. and i look forward to DL'ing new shit so i can bitch about how it's different than the final product to you guys on GNR Evo.....

See that's the thing for me. I can't do that. I'll listen to a whole album once or twice when i get it then it just gets shuffled in with my ipod. I'll listen to the cd a few more times inanother few months just because i'll pop a random cd in the player in the car.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

So I listened to Contraband yesterday.......... I know this is sac religious on a GNR forum but I like it better.

Its more raw, powerful, rocking and spontaneous whereas CD sounds like  a record made by 10 different people recording their parts at different times and sitting down and plotting every single little note.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Contraband is good, I realy enjoyed it, but in my opinion it doesn't come anywhere close to the quality of Chinese Democracy.  Not in any way, shape, or form.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:
faldor wrote:

Contraband is good, I realy enjoyed it, but in my opinion it doesn't come anywhere close to the quality of Chinese Democracy.  Not in any way, shape, or form.

Yeah but u take a CD thrown together in a few months compared to something meticulously labored over though......

The production on CD is better and I enjoy Axl's vocals/melodies more but CB never has gotten old for me. It is my Workout/Running CD of choice and everytime I hear it, it still makes me move and gets me fired up whereas CD would be great if I were depressed and miserable.

I also like Loving the Alien,YGNR and FTP just as good as any CD ballad. they aren't as epic but they move me the same way.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Contraband has been a great drink coaster for years for me.

bloodyhell81
 Rep: 2 

bloodyhell81 wrote:

i have alot more respect for axl and cd hearing the evolution of alot of the songs over the past 8 years have been amazing, the changes made to each song has gotten better IMO. been a great experience.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Contraband has like 1 good song on it.

Board footer