You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Whats the opinion people in your life have on CD?

Olorin wrote:

Its been out a while now, so whats the general opinion you have been hearing from people who have heard the album now?

All the freinds and acquaintencies I've spoke to are pretty underwhelmed, most say it was ok, it has a couple of good songs but not enough to keep them interested. Some say it was just disapointing overall.

I havnt spoke to anyone yet who loved it.

I'm really suprised as I thought these folk would go nuts over it, but instead of that its greeted with a collective "meh."

I've been out Christmas shopping lately and noticed AC/DC's albums are attracting a lot of attention in shops, and the new album seems to be a popular gift. The AC/DC and Metallica sections seem a bit bare, lots of people grabbing them for stocking fillers. I even considered getting my brother a copy of those new albums and he's not much of a fan but doesnt mind them. He thinks CD is a turd and detests Axl anyway, so thats not even an option.

But I have noticed that CD looks rather lonely on the shelves and not attracting much interest, well no interest at all in any of the shops I was pottering around in.
I wonder where the problem lies with the casual music fan that dont find the album appealing.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

people i know dont understand why I'm still a fan of Axl...and they think the album is blah

my wife just smiles and shakes her head when i put it on...she deals with it for me 16

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:

well most people i know like most of the record....  as for the public: CD has been slated by one of the biggest radio stations in my area. in a big german tv show there was a question going "which band released the first record for 15 years called chinese democracy, that was pulled to pieces in reviews and still made it to number one in thirteen countries?"

there are positive reviews, and probably just as many as negative ones, but obviously many people are just picking up the negative ones. i guess there are lots of people out there who waited for years to give axl a big fuck you for breaking up the old band....

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:
Neemo wrote:

people i know dont understand why I'm still a fan of Axl...and they think the album is blah

my wife just smiles and shakes her head when i put it on...she deals with it for me 16

That's the reaction I get when I bring it up.

"Guns and Roses? Axl is such a dickhead!"

I think that's the number one issue here.

And I don't think it has to do with Slash/Band Breakup/The Name.

By the end of the Illusion tours, public opinion had turned on Axl, and he's done nothing to get it back.  If anything, people think he's even weirder now.

People won't give it a chance because it's Axl.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

my girlfriend loves it (SOD, TIL) and my brother still has it in his car cd player. other than that i dont think ive really listened to the album with anyone else.

Cav
 Rep: 1 

Cav wrote:

The problem is axl's not given an interview in so long everyone believes the crap spouted by Slash. There was a great quote from weiland once he left VR. He said (and i paraphrase as i don't have the magazine with the interview here with me) "There was nearly a huge row in the press between me and axl that aros ecos one of the band (VR) had seen him and said he'd been slagging me off. I know now it's not true and having spent 5 and a half years in a band with these guys my opinion of axl has changed, I used to think it was him that broke up GNR but io don't believe that anymore".

A lot of my friends have really taken a dislike to the album, claiming that the music has no feeling or soul in it. All of which is complete tosh. Some of Finck and Thals guitar work is as soulful, if not more so, than the slash and izzy stuff. Granted the Solo's don't match up to slash, but who's do? guitar players that good are few and far between. There is still some excellent guitar work on chinese democracy, and as Slash himself said (and again I paraphrase) "Hearing Axl's voice on record after so long is great, he's still got the best voice in rock".

To me the Album itself is pure brilliance, It's the perfect mix of ballads, old school rock and newer influence thrown in to boot. It Gripps go by the ears from the balls riff which comes in over the weird build up in the title track rocks through Shalcklers Revenge, Elevates your emotions with Better then turns your world upside with Street of dreams, It starts to build back up with if the world and there was a time then he unleashed Catcher... Fast becoming my favorite gnr song ever. The segwar of Ctacher to Scraped to Riad could not be any better, solo to fast building, using musical progressions to link to the previous songs and then "sorry". Comes out of no-where, some venomous lines spat out in a way reminicent of Dylans idiot Wind on Blood on the tracks., IRS is just a sheer masterpeice which builds you up to a frenzy, At which point MADAGASCAR Brings you back down to earth and hits you with questions of humanity and the things that have gone before. This is followed up by this i love. A definate candidate for the greatest ballad of all time. And the icing on the cake is prostitue. What a closer that one is. It manages in one song to recap the emotions and sentiments of the 13 songs you've just hard and leave you at the same time completly satisfied but still eager for more.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Same here. My father is like "Ehh it's ok but his voice gets annoying after you listen to half the album at one time."

I'm just like -sigh-

luckylittlelady
 Rep: 20 

Only 2 of my real life friends are even aware of CD (that I know of, if there's any others they're so uninterested they haven't mentioned it), one lost interest when she found out Slash and Duff weren't on it so probably hasn't even heard it, the other described it as 'superb'.

axlcrazy
 Rep: 4 

axlcrazy wrote:
russtcb wrote:

As far as the album goes, everyone I know likes at least one song. Most people I know really dig most of the album or all of it.

I own a gym. Every time I put it On people absolutely love it! I have no doubt in my mind that there are songs on CD that the public could fall in love with. Problem is it's just not cool to like GNR these days. The public doesn't have any idea who the hell they are anymore or whose in the band. The last thing they remember is skinny AXL with the bandana & Slash. There's been no smash hit single, current videos, interviews or image for the public to identify with. Their just not relevant anymore. It's really a shame.:(

Board footer