You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Re: Whats the opinion people in your life have on CD?

Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:

hammered on a Monday...I'll give you bonus points for that.

Thanks Madagas. It is the holiday season afterall. I'm slowly becoming an alcoholic. out drinking 9 of the last 12 days 14 In all fairness though I did go to Dallas for holidays for 6 of those days. 16

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:
Cav wrote:

As a "die hard" G n R fan i'm still undecided as to wethere CD of AFD is my fav

10  Not me, AFD kicks the shit out of ANY other GNR album and most any other rock album.

Cav wrote:

His other obsession is Pearl Jam, whose album Bianural (or something like that, is his fav. I am a casual fan, who likes ten.

Ten doesn't make you a "casual fan".  Ten, VS and the underrated Yield are their best three albums.  Bianural is considered one of the weakest efforts by Pearl Jam by many other hardcore fans other than myself.  That doesn't make your friend wrong, just trying to illustrate my point.  You can't genarlize such things.

As for U2 The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are among their best albums (imo) I wouldn't call that a "casual fan" either.

Cav wrote:

I am a die hard Metallica fan and I, along with many others would site Master of Puppets as their best work.

Agreed

Cav wrote:

As for Nirvana, no die hard fan woould site nevermind in the top 2 albums, personally i dislike in utero, but that is the die hard fans favourite.

Uhhh...they only had three proper studio albums, some rarities, a live album and an unplugged album so saying "no die hard fan" would put Nevermind in the top 2 is stretching it.  I have many friends who are HUGE Nirvana fans and their #1 choice is almost always either Unplugged, Bleach or Nevermind.  Most didn't like much of In Utero because it was largely incoherent, yet a great album.  I'm not a "casual fan" I have everything they ever did.  I would put Nevermind just under Bleach and just before the Unplugged album.

This post wasn't to pick on you but simply to point out some overstatements.  I'm a fan of U2, GNR, Radiohead, Metallica, etc and I'm not a "casual fan" but a near obsessive compulsive fan of the bands I like and just because "casual fans" happen to enjoy some of the more "mainstream" hits does not mean the album isn't warranted as a top or near top effort by the particular band.  At the same time I DO agree that many "casual fans" do miss many artists best work but that happens in all art, however you simply can't make a generalization about all the examples made as being only "casual fan" picks.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

because of Cav's post in dusted off In Utero today and listened to it on the way to work...its a thing of beauty 11

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I'd be willing to bed that most people who think it sucks really haven't listend to it.

Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

99% of those who say they don't like it are mindless sheep,

What planet do you guys live on??

This albums ok, but it's farrr from being obviously great. I can see how people wouldn't like it. Especially people who aren't on the forums (ppl we lend it to or heard CD or Better on the radio). Granted there's some slight 'haters' on the forums, but I haven't seen anyone blatantly trash it. Just giving their honest, less than impressed opinion of it. Personally, I think it's good. Not really great. Not a masterpiece. I think if I re-reviewed it I'd knock it down from an 8/10 to a 7, as I skip almost half the tracks when I'm driving. Some of the tracks on there are not much more than filler stuff I'd expect to hear on a Third Eye Blind album.

James Lofton wrote:

The people I know don't give a shit about it. Its just a pretty average album to people so you're not gonna see casual type fans go apeshit over this record.

That just about sums it up. The Monday after it came out, I brought it to work & put it on a shared drive. I told the 5 or so relatively young (25-45) people in my department about it & they said they'd give it a listen. I think only 1 guy listened to it, and gave  a generic "It's good, I  haven't heard it all though yet". I gave it time, and he never responded. I got the hint. It's got some listenable songs on it (Ballads, Better, CD), then some skippable tracks. One of my friends is a pretty big fan, I don't think he visits the boards, but he likes it. Another friend who is 37 said he likes the song on the radio. His brother, 25, hates it & thinks it's crap.

That's it, but mostly people don't care very much, there wasn't "17 years of anticipation" since this band didn't do anything 17 years ago. And yes one lady even responded "So who's in it anymore, is it the old band now?" Another girl asked me the same thing about a year or two ago, when she found out I was a fan.

Gunslinger wrote:
Cav wrote:

As a "die hard" G n R fan i'm still undecided as to wethere CD of AFD is my fav

10  Not me, AFD kicks the shit out of ANY other GNR album and most any other rock album.

Yeah, I know I'm gonna open a real can of worms here but I'd go so far as to say if someone likes CD over AFD... they're not a GnR fan.

Bright Eyes 2005
 Rep: 27 

Bono wrote:
Bright Eyes 2005 wrote:

99% of those who say they don't like it are mindless sheep, as someone said earlier, just following the trend--most have never heard a single note off the album.  I run into these dipshits all the time--yesterday it was Fall Out Boy, today it's Kings of Leon, etc. ad nauseum.  GNR laying low on the promo may work to their advantage in the long run, as opposed to ACDC selling out to Wal Mart (cheesiest mass marketing capitalistic screed on the planet).  I think it is going to backfire on them soon as far as credibility goes.  The second single off Black Ice is horrid, and they are just pushing product due to Wal Mart brainwashing.  CD, for some reason or another, is going to be judge ultimately on music, and music alone, as the low key marketing is forcing it to become something one hears due to "word of mouth" instead of corporate jockeying.  For some odd reason, I get the feeling that is going to be a positive in the next year.  Weird to say it, but GNR maybe gaining some street credibility back, by doing the exact opposite of what the "machine" says your supposed to. 

People, esp. females I have met, who get a few peaks of this, are becoming increasingly curious about it.  A few have told me flat out that they love "Prostitute", "If the World", "Better" and "This I Love".  Females...I think GNR have not even pushed this to that fanbase yet.   Weird thing, anyone I know that hears Better or Sorry are like "that is amazing"!  These are twenty somethings who know nothing of GNR or their legacy.  If a few people, and the media starts saying "GNR is cool" there could be a bunch of idiots who now think it's ok to like GNR.  Funny how it works. 

Me, I don't give a flippin fuck!  I love the album, and the discussion about it has been fabulous!

Happy Holidays to all of you at GNR Evolution!!  Peace!

This is a fucking joke right?. AC/DC only being successful based on Wal-mart's brainwashing? Kings of Leon lumped in with Fall out Boy? For your information Kings of Leon have 4 albums and they are all fucking awesome albums. 99% of the people who don't like CD are mindless sheep? Gimme a fucking break. This reaks of denial in a major way. And to even sugest that AC/DC will suffer a backlash due to a lack of  street cred by using Wal-Mart  if fucking moronic. Like at this point in their career people are gonna turn a deaf ear to AC/DC cause they sold their albums through Wal-Mart. Please. Sorry Bright Eyes but that post sounds like a  dellusional Axl fan who's unable to comprehend the reality of the situtaion and  instead digs up the most ridiculous excuses to justify what's happening in regards to CD's commercial success. Gn'R regaining  cred cause they didn't suck Wal-Mart's dick?  Oh MY FUYCKING GOD!. Now I've heard it all.

You said it yourself. At some point it's gonna be judged on the music alone. It's painfully ovbious far too many on this site will be far too stuborn to admit the music failed in the eyes of the public. For some of you maybe most it'll always be an endless line of excuses. Everything but the music will be blamed for CD's failure. And it'll always be 99% of people who dont' like it have never heard it and are just mindles dipshits roll. Fucking unbelievable. If this was happening to any other band right now it'd be an issue of the quality of music but in Gn'R la la land it's a fucking conspiracy or some shit.  roll WAKE UP!

Well, that was quite a bar rant!  And to say I'm delusional Axl freak is in stark contrast to reality.  It's easy to misinterpret a post, so apology accepted!

Let me try to better explain:

Quite frankly, huge sales of a product, a la ACDC's, are deceiving.  That is the gist of my statement--through the massive marketing push at Wal Mart, the product, to me, is becoming just another piece of plastic.  It's not selling on it's merits musically, but sellling via impulse to the folks strolling through Wal Mart.  Maybe backlash was not the correct phrasing, but I think the value (whatever value the generic album has) of the music is being diminished, as it is turning into just another product for Wal Mart to push.

On the other hand, CD, is not being pushed or marketed as something it is not.  I believe, in the long run, this will help keep the integrity of the product as a musical piece of art, in tact.  I have never bought into or expected massive sales, due to the new marketplace (downloading, current economic conditions, twenty years since their commercial rise, changing pop/mainstream musical styles, etc), and believe that the over emphasis on judging a piece of music, based solely on sales #'s is ludicrous at best.  I really am impressed, and feal that not "mass-marketing" this to death is actually a smart, and admirable move by GNR--one which may not seem great today, but should help them keep their integrity in the long haul.  Those who care about music, and care about quality, will find this album in due time, and find it satisfying aesthetically and satisfying for years to come, as opposed to just being appreciated for the "quickie-fix" like the Wal-Mart Blue light special.  This is not crack, it's good coke.  5

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I don't know why everyone is so concerned about the opinions of casual fans. The best albums, are only accepted by diehard fans anyways, not casuals.

Appetite for Destruction
Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
Exhile on Main street
The Bends
Sgt. Pepper's
Ten
Nevermind
Metallica

and the list goes on and on and on to prove your theory wrong.

The list does not go on and on. For 100 albums, by big name artists, that might be worldly-accepted.

There's probably thousands from unknowns, that universally people love, and the music could be stronger.

I'm not taking anything away from the artists above, or their great works, but some of that is 'pure luck' from catching on. There's plenty that don't catch on to a big audience, and the music is fantastic. It's not because 'only some like it'... it's because the media doesn't promote it.

If the media had hyped CD, like they hype Linkin Park or Kanye West, it'd probably be double-platinum by now.

Never underestimate the power of mind control, and conditioning.

You're also assuming, those are everyone's favorite albums, just because they sold the most. Favorite U2 albums & Beatles albums vary with just about every person I ask. Same with the Stones & Metallica. Only casuals think the Black Album is Metallica's best. In my circles, the revered album is Master of Puppets. And even though I like it all, i've always been a little partial to Ride The Lightning.

And as far as Nirvana goes... everybody knows their best album is In Utero.

Sky Dog wrote:
Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:

hammered on a Monday...I'll give you bonus points for that.

Thanks Madagas. It is the holiday season afterall. I'm slowly becoming an alcoholic. out drinking 9 of the last 12 days 14 In all fairness though I did go to Dallas for holidays for 6 of those days. 16

I was out last Tues, Thurs, Fri, and Saturday. 18 my kidneys hurt and I was quite anxious on Sunday. Shaping up the same this week and next week as well. 5 Unfortunately, I am married with a 10 year old girl and a day job, so the hangovers can be rough.:(

As for the topic, I haven't really played the album for any of my friends as they are all over 40 and more old school rock guys. My wife doesn't care. My daughter likes Better. My brother is a fan and likes it. There is my contribution. 19

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

As far as my reaction from friends they all like Better, IRS, The Blues, and TWAT.  Decent reactions to If The World and Chinese Democracy.  The rest they could do without although my girlfriend thanks Madagascar is brilliant in terms of writing and she of course (girls..sigh!) LOVES This I Love.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

No one I know has bought it or heard it. That says something in itself.

I don't agree though that it is failing because of the music. The music hasn't been heard by the masses. Rock radio played CD religiously for a week, but that's it.

The masses don't want an Axl-only GNR or they don't want GNR period.

I don't have a problem saying CD has failed. It has for the most part. I like it, and that's what matters.

The weird perspective I have is this: It's probably outsold all of Bucket's catalog already, so in that sense, to me it is a rousing success. If Bucket gets any royalties, he's getting some serious coin right now, like nothing he's ever seen.  Some Bucket CD sell less than a couple thousand copies. You think I see those as failures? Or that I think the masses have spoken on Bucket's music? No.

So, to me, success or failure is moot. In the past, a huge failure might have hurt GNR's future, but in this day and age, you don't need labels anymore. Just the willingness to create without expectations.

Sky Dog wrote:

the problem is does Axl want to create without expectations? Is he willing to release records that have very limited commercial potential? We don't know the answer to that......:ummm:

Board footer