You are not logged in. Please register or login.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

Re: Whats the opinion people in your life have on CD?

strat0 wrote:
Bono wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

I'd be willing to bed that most people who think it sucks really haven't listend to it.

I'd be willing to bet that most people on these forums who love the album will simply go by this theory till the end of time because how could anyone possibly dislike it if they heard it right? C'mon. It's not hard to see that this album would not  be appealing to the masses.  When will people start to admit that singles are what sells albums. Not videos, not interviews, SINGLES. Singles on radio.  It's obvious the singles have been less than impressesive as far as the average joe is concerend. That's the problem in a nutshell and if they aren't excited for the singles chances are most will not like the album one bit.  I'll say it again; at some point people are gonna have to admit the music did the talking.  If the fans love it that's great but the excuses are so old now.  Maybe I'm wrong but I honestly think there's a lot more to support my theory that the album is not as appealing as some claim than the theory that people just didn't hear it or give it a fair chance.  You don't have to be a rocket scientist to recognize what the mainstreme public will like. Shit I listen to so many bands that I think are amazing and I think the public is stupid for ignoring but I'm not naive enough to think those bands would ever be appealing to the public.

It's not that most of them haven't listened. They've probably heard better and CD, but lets be real for a second.
This album is not the priceless treasure some make it out to be.
Yes it is decent, solid music. Just because it is fairly good doesn't mean it's going to sell well and get in the eye of the public.

Using an Example James likes take Santogold. I would have never known about them had he not mentioned them(numerous times:laugh:)
And I admit they have good music. BUT it's just not my cup of tea. It might eventually grow on me after quite a while.

I believe that's how people are seeing GN'R right now.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
madagas wrote:

http://thequietus.com/articles/00919-gu … -democracy

pretty good article on the CD dilemna

A touch of realism, nice  5

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
madagas wrote:

Great article. Sums up the situation nicely. It's a great album, and at the end of the day, even if you hate this album, every track is still listenable.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
madagas wrote:

Great article. Sums up the situation nicely. It's a great album, and at the end of the day, even if you hate this album, every track is still listenable.

Shacklers  and CITR are sure skips for me.. Along with Madagascar, but Shacklers is the only one that is "bad".

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I purchased CD for a friend of mine whose birthday happened to fall on the release date.  She is not a "fan" of Guns N' Roses per se, she does enjoy the classics and she knows Axl and Slash.  She pretty much knows the basics.  She promised me a full review, and after a month I finally got the first review of the first track.  It's a surprisingly positive reaction, BUT she does promise that not all the songs will be positively reviewed.  She said she liked about half the album, but could do without the other half and absolutely HATED one song and would like to never hear it again.  She didn't say what song that was though.

1.  Chinese Democracy

I have to say that the beginning of the song scared me a little bit.  After 1:30 of what sounds like aliens trying to reach their homeland I was excited to finally hear music.  After centuries of not recording an album they sure did want you to wait a little longer to hear what they came up with.  When the actual words came though I immediately began rocking my head as if I were standing in the audience with the boys themselves.  It got me moving and to this day still find it a good song to walk on the treadmill listening too.  It brings back such great memories of Paradise City.  I had almost forgotten what they had sounded like when they sang.

Some of the words in the beginning of the song I did not understand.  I felt a little retarded but then went online to see the lyrics and realized that these words would make sense to no one.  Yes, I did research.

The chorus is AWESOME.  Why they needed to ruin the song talking about masturbation is beyond me however I do enjoy singing that part and even if that is really NOT what they are saying I make sure I sing it loud and proud.  Any excusable chance to use the word masturbation is a good day for me.

The ending was wonderful.  It was wrapped up nicely with the guitar solo and calmed the nerves for what was about to be an off the chain beginning to song two!

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i played portions of it for 2 freinds of mine...my musical partners in crime if you will..

the big gripe was the length of time that the album took...and the one frind...a guitarist is very impressed with bumble and buckets work

they felt that Scraped was Axl's most impressive work vocally switching gears like that between "voices"

the one freind (more oldschool) felt it was dated and would've been more suited to a release in '02 ... or even better 1999...the other freind is a few years younger than me and feels the album is great top to bottom..neither is gonna buy it though they feel Axl blew his oportunity and they dont agree with the repeated delays and false hopes over the years

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
faldor wrote:

I purchased CD for a friend of mine whose birthday happened to fall on the release date.  She is not a "fan" of Guns N' Roses per se, she does enjoy the classics and she knows Axl and Slash.  She pretty much knows the basics.  She promised me a full review, and after a month I finally got the first review of the first track.  It's a surprisingly positive reaction, BUT she does promise that not all the songs will be positively reviewed.  She said she liked about half the album, but could do without the other half and absolutely HATED one song and would like to never hear it again.  She didn't say what song that was though.

1.  Chinese Democracy

I have to say that the beginning of the song scared me a little bit.  After 1:30 of what sounds like aliens trying to reach their homeland I was excited to finally hear music.  After centuries of not recording an album they sure did want you to wait a little longer to hear what they came up with.  When the actual words came though I immediately began rocking my head as if I were standing in the audience with the boys themselves.  It got me moving and to this day still find it a good song to walk on the treadmill listening too.  It brings back such great memories of Paradise City.  I had almost forgotten what they had sounded like when they sang.

Some of the words in the beginning of the song I did not understand.  I felt a little retarded but then went online to see the lyrics and realized that these words would make sense to no one.  Yes, I did research.

The chorus is AWESOME.  Why they needed to ruin the song talking about masturbation is beyond me however I do enjoy singing that part and even if that is really NOT what they are saying I make sure I sing it loud and proud.  Any excusable chance to use the word masturbation is a good day for me.

The ending was wonderful.  It was wrapped up nicely with the guitar solo and calmed the nerves for what was about to be an off the chain beginning to song two!

Continuing on with my friends thoughts on CD.  Remember she is NOT a GNR fan, she is what some of you would refer to as "Jill Public".  And she gave "Chinese Democracy" 4.5 out of 5 stars

2. Schakler's Revenge

First I would like to say how much happier I was that this song started promptly after the intro.  I am not really into the long lead ins.  They tend to kill or make a song and most of the time it kills it.  For me anyway long intros suck!

Overall I was pleased with the song.  It seemed short for the band but I think it was a nice choice after Chinese Democracy.  I don't necessarily love the lyrics though.  Someone seems very bitter.  Since I am not a HUGE Guns N' Roses fan I am sure there is a story behind it but I might be missing a key point. 

Out of 5 stars I give this one a 4.  It's catchy, it's short, and I have no problem blasting it and singing in my car.

The boys are 2 for 2 so far in my book.   Stay tuned!

3. Better

I have to say I LOVED this song.  Just when I thought I couldn't love a song more than #5 (If The World) this song came along and brightened my world.  I love the lyrics (especially the rhyming of them), I love the pace the song progressed, and I loved that is wasn't hardcore like the first two.  It amazed me in ways I was not expecting.  It's like opening a gift and being sure you weren't going to like it once it came out of the box, only to tag it as one of your favorite overall gifts.  Amazing.

The only complaint I have with this song is the two guitar solos.  The first one was well timed and broke the song up nicely.  The second one pissed me off and still does.  I am ready to move on with the singing and here I have to wait.  Not only do I have to wait though but there are like 16 na na na's after the solo which drags the song on even more.  The boys overall did well and this has quickly become one of my favorite songs.

Out of 5 stars I give it 4 1/2.  If it wasn't for the second guitar solo I would definitely given it a 5.

4.  Street of Dreams

This song reminded me of November Rain in so many ways.  The slowness of it all excited me in the beginning.  I knew a slow ballad would be on the CD and was waiting for it.  I thought the lyrics were great too and overall liked the song.  I am not sure I liked the way the words were pieced together though.  It almost seemed like some of the lyrics stretched on too long and could have been fit in someplace else.  It is not a major complaint though.  More of a suggestion.

It's heartbreaking and I feel bad for Axl, I really do, but I think he did a great job of letting us feel the pain that he was in and positively expressed that without being a dick.

Love the song.  Out of 5 starts I give it 4 3/4.

So far I am so pleased with the CD! 

That's all the reviews for now but I promise more will come soon!

nugdafied wrote:

Sure you're not just making this up faldor?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
nugdafied wrote:

Sure you're not just making this up faldor?

It doesn't sound like anything I've heard anybody say.  If he gets through all the songs and this person likes every one of them a ton, I'll call bs - until then, I'll just read along mildly amused.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I disagree with SOD resembling NR.  If I were to guess, I'd say the one song faldors female friend hated would be either Scraped or This I Love.  Although If the World could be another choice.  I too am interested in what his friend's review.

Board footer