You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Where Do We Go Now?

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if videos, a media blitz,etc. is being saved for a reissue of the album this year. They can let it ride its current wave and hope for that second wind when the reissue comes out. Not many second winds happen in this era, but its certainly possible.

If Lollapalooza happens this year, Axl should make an attempt at being the headliner. A festival like that would do wonders. Might not cause a huge increase in album sales, but it will expose GNR to a crowd that might not have gave it a chance otherwise.

I just read that Kanye West's new album was re-released with new packaging or something.  So it's possible they could be waiting for that.  Of course, whatever needed to be changed for Kanye didn't prevent him from going out and promoting his album.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if videos, a media blitz,etc. is being saved for a reissue of the album this year. They can let it ride its current wave and hope for that second wind when the reissue comes out. .

that's exactly what i've been thinking ever since axl said "all the real artwork will come out soon" and such...
i still think all the real promotion will start when the album is rereleased after the BB copies are gone...

how ridiculous is this?
we spend YEARS speculating.." when the album comes out..." now... we're like.."when the album gets put out again... " 17

reminds me of "Road to Perdition"...
"why are you always smiling?"
"because it's all so fucking hilarious..." 16

LoneSalBugz
 Rep: 3 

LoneSalBugz wrote:

"New Guns N' Roses are kind-of like a underground band now, aren't they?"

My friend once asked. And so are us fans, I still feel like a special breed even though CD's been released.

Axl lived in the lime light. Now he's so ...

I simply can't wait for a new tour.

axlcrazy
 Rep: 4 

axlcrazy wrote:
LoneSalBugz wrote:

I simply can't wait for a new tour.

Me either.:beer:

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

that's exactly what i've been thinking ever since axl said "all the real artwork will come out soon" and such...
i still think all the real promotion will start when the album is rereleased after the BB copies are gone...

You know... That actually makes a whole lot of sense. By this, I don't mean its a convenient straw for the Axlites to grasp, but everything seems to point towards the fact that the album was rushed out in a number of ways. Best Buy reportedly bought over a million copies of the album for their exclusive deal, covering the pre-existing studio bill Axl had generated up until February 2004 and the cut of funding.

The bill was said to be around $13M, and BB paid around a million more. If this truly was a case of 'selling off a debt', Axl and/or Geffen wouldn't actually have that much of a point in investing to promotion, as the BB deal itself is money in the bank. Just looking at the financial side, why would either party go out of their way to benefit the sales of BestBuy?

The alternative artwork's a rather marginal lure when considering a traditionally distributed re-release. If, and only if Geffen and Ax really want to push a new version of CD out, it'd have to be a double album with proper promotion. Music videos, interviews, the works. Who'd in their right minds bother to buy the existing album three-six months from now if they haven't done so already?

I'm not getting my hopes up, but I wouldn't be too surprised if Ax really was hinting about things to come... A double album with alternative covers.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Awesome concept. Hope it happens!

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I wouldn't expect a double album release, although it'd be cool.  Maybe a bonus track, but even that might not happen.  Just a fine tuning of the booklet and the 2 alternate covers, the bare essentials.  It's amazing to me that after almost a decade this album was "rushed" to release.  How is that even possible?  I'm grateful we got the music and I love it and I really could care less that the booklet has errors in it, but how the heck could it have been rushed?  It just makes you wonder if EVERYTHING were done on Axl's terms/watch when would we have gotten the album?  2009?  Ten more years?  Never?

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Yup.  He had all this time to take care of this stuff and didn't do it.  It doesn't make much sense financially to rerelease CD with only alternate covers.  I'm not sure how many diehards will buy that.  I will only buy a rereleased CD if there is new material--new tracks or old demos of CD songs.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I just hope if they do go with the re-release, and do it Axl's way, that there's a 2nd disc involved, like with the Long Road Out Of Eden re-release.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

a video for Better is a hard enough task, give him a chance !!! lol

Board footer