You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Old WWF question...

RussTCB wrote:

removed

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Thanks for the clarification on the Crush- Savage feud.

Macho Man actually had some excellent matches with Rick Martel after wrestlemania

I don't remember these matches.  To be honest the only match involving Martel that I remember was that great match he had with Razor Ramon for the IC title on RAW.  Shawn Michaels had gotten stripped of the title for some reason and they held a tournament for the vacant title.  Ramon and Martel  were the final two and faced off on RAW.  Martel had Ramon in his finisher the Boston Crab and it looked like Razor was about to give up, but he fought out of it and hit the Razor's edge for the win.  I remember thinking wow they gave away this match on free tv.  But that happened in early 1993 and the Savage-Martel feud happened later.

And I dont think we will see The Rock back in the WWE anytime soon. He has pretty much turned his back on the place that helped him make millions in shitty movies.

What does everyone think about this development in pro wrestling?  I find it kind of annoying actually.  Most of these movies stink and we (the viewing public) gets this stuff shoved down our throat (the promos etc.).

It makes perfect sense to me, to be quite honest. To be a professional wrestler these days requires a lot. JR has mentioned that you are on the road for something like 300 days/year...wrestling sometimes twice a day.

It is a lot easier to make shitty movies for a living. Especially when you consider the fact that he probably gets paid more than he got paid to be a wreslter.There is really no reason to come back when you think about these things.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Oh yeah, The Rock probably makes 5-10 times the amount of money on ONE movie, that he made getting busted up, touring the world 300 days out of the year on Vince's slave labor program.

HBK & The Undertaker have been around for 20+ years, and still only make $1-2mil a year, and have to go 300 days out of the year. And these guys are legends with major seniority at this point.

Nothing could entice The Rock to come back on a financial level. He'd have to want it, purely for the love and pride of the entertainment medium and his fans.

If I remember correctly, another issue Vince had with Hogan was Hogan, because he refused the 'lifetime contract' like Austin signed, Hogan wanted something like $20 million for 1-year deal including 6 matches and 12 appearences, and Vince countered with $20mil/1yr for 12 matches and an infinite amount of apparences, and neither could ever reach an agreement.

That's ridiculous for Hogan in the present. Could you imagine what The Rock would want? Vince is just not going to spend that kind of money, when he's got Austin already on the payroll, and still active legends like HBK, Taker & HHH.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Shawn Michaels getting stripped of IC title in 1993.

Well...the storyline reason from this strip was because he refused to defend the title anymore, and according to WWF rules, you must defend the title once every 30 days. I had never heard that rule before or since.

The REAL reason he got stripped. Shawn had tested positive for steriods in the late summer/fall of 1993. It is something to this day he refutes. In fact, he says that he was kind of chubby at the time. If you look back, he kind of was...anyway, he was suspended for a couple of months for this offense. Someone said the traces of steroids found in the drug test were quite small and clearly were not part of any "cycle." Forgive me if I'm not using the correct terminology.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah I remember the HBK steroid scandal, and to this day I burst out in laughter at the thought of it.

Does ANYTHING about HBK's size, build, or performance, look like a steroid user?

Come on, Vince... everyone knows there were major salary disputes at the time, and WCW was doing their damndest to woo Michaels over there.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

You got it right mitchjw. Personally I think steroids was just a cover by the WWE because Shawn had always had a big pill and drug demon.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Maybe... i've always thought it was a cover to make Michaels look like 'damaged goods', and keep him in the reigns of the WWF. At the time, the U.S. was coming down hard on steroids, specifically professional wrestling (because of "our children" roll ), and WCW wouldn't have touched Michaels then knowing that. Too much heat at the time.

I've always thought it was Vince's way of 'tainting' Michaels, so no one else would want him. It all worked out in the end, anyways, though...

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I'm sure you all have, but if anyone hasnt, I strongly recomend picking up HBK's book, "Heartbreak & Triumph". One of the best wrestler books I've ever read.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I don't think HBK would have ever went to WCW. He watched three of his best friends jump ship and he stayed.

Very good book and the DVD as well NY.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

I've also got Mankind's first book and Stone Cold's book. I've been thinking about getting another. Any suggestions? I love reading that stuff. I think Eric Bischoff's would be pretty good.

Board footer