You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Metallica make offer to tour with Guns N' Roses

Axlin16 wrote:

This would be the ultimate gift of all gifts for Axl. Even with new Guns, a tour like this would be huge BO.

I'm guessing CD fans however would be disappointed. Guns aren't going to be able to share a stage with Metallica with songs like Catcher, This I Love and Prostitute. I'm guessing to keep up with Metallica, it'd be a mostly rocker-heavy setlist.

Taking this with a massive grain of salt, but it'd be a great move... which means it won't happen in the world of GN'R.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Until Hetfield comments on this development, I'll keep the salt shaker next to my comp.

This isn't a bad idea though. While Metallica is certainly bigger than GNR now, a tour like this would benefit both bands.

James did comment.  "Never say never."

And for the record.  I don't see it happening, though I'll heed James advice and I won't say NEVER.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

This would be the ultimate gift of all gifts for Axl. Even with new Guns, a tour like this would be huge BO.

I'm guessing CD fans however would be disappointed. Guns aren't going to be able to share a stage with Metallica with songs like Catcher, This I Love and Prostitute. I'm guessing to keep up with Metallica, it'd be a mostly rocker-heavy setlist.

Taking this with a massive grain of salt, but it'd be a great move... which means it won't happen in the world of GN'R.

I don't think they'd craft their setlist to cater to a Metallica crowd.  They didn't for the Gods of Metal or whatever festival that was in 2006.  Of course they got bottles of piss thrown at them and had to leave the stage, but when they returned they played the same setlist.  With or without Metallica I wouldn't expect them to play a ballad heavy setlist.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

i wouldnt be surprised if if they toured, then at least 1/3 of the audience would be new-gnr diehards. they will pay any obscene amount of money to see the band.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Not a bad idea. If anything this might at least prompt a response being posted on gnr.com smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I can honestly say, regardless of a theorhetical Bucket return... a Metallica/GN'R co-headline, would be the only thing to get me back out to see the new band.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

would be kickass!  Would love to see metallica live!

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

I think that this would be foolish on Guns part.

They did this back in the day, I saw it, and Metallica destroyed them and Axl's attempt to rip-off the Stones with 43 different members of the band doing flute solos and whatnot.

Metallica and Faith No More brought the huge butthurt to GNR's overpolished show.

I recommend a GNR start bringing the heavy back, or they might be opening up for John Tesh or Josh Grobin.

And yes, grow musically and all that, but for god sakes, no one wants to see Zig Zag's harmonica solo while Axl changes into a red jacket.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
faldor wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I don't think they'd craft their setlist to cater to a Metallica crowd.  They didn't for the Gods of Metal or whatever festival that was in 2006.  Of course they got bottles of piss thrown at them and had to leave the stage, but when they returned they played the same setlist.  With or without Metallica I wouldn't expect them to play a ballad heavy setlist.

That was Download, and Metallica played on a different night. It was a 3 day festival, Tool/Metallica/GN'R headlining each night.

It wasnt because of they music they got shit thrown at them, they played mostly classic GN'R, it was because of the dislike for Axl and the new band. But it was a minority, my freind was right down the front and thought they were awesome. He did say, "that bass player is a fucking dick" right enough.

Skippy - I never seen Teddy Zig-Zag, Tracy and Roberta or the red jacket in 06, and they wernt over polished. They were pretty badass actually, but the verdict from the Download festival was Metallica were in a different league from GNR. But then again, GNR were still quite rusty when they played that festival.

But Metallica already have a soldout tour this year don't they? Cant see this happening, I think they are just being polite.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

A good idea, but won't work out. First of all, there is no Guns N' roses at the moment, only Axl Rose in his Malibu home. Second, they toured in the past and had major problems between the bands. Credit goes to Axl. Hetfield was pissed off cause GN'R was the true headliner and Metallica had to play before them. Not that GN'R would have been that bigger, but Axl's late show-ups decided the order. Hetfield & Co (minus Lars) were pissed off for Axl's god-like behaviour, too, and last, but not least, when Hetfield got burned by the pyro on a show and had to finish their set early, GN'R showed up very late and played a short (not extended, like they promised) show.

Axl wouldn't play before Metallica and Hetfield wouldn't play before Nu-GN'R, neither he'd wait 6 hours for Axl to show up and do his show. Never say never, but it will definetely not happen in the forseeable future.

Board footer