You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: SEBASTIAN BACH: 'It's Nobody's Right But Mine To Put My Art On The Int

Saikin wrote:

I think the key point here is that putting clips of songs on youtube is not the same as hosting them on a site for people to download. 

Now if Baz was arguing against that particular person posting songs or albums on a website for the world to download, then his argument would have more validity. 

Youtube is free promo.  In a way, it's a slight way of trying to balance illegal downloading and legal purchasing.  There's not a lot of free promo artists get when you actually think about it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
supaplex wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Acekicken, didn't he used to be a member here or at ROV?

i remember him too but i don't know from where. i have only posted on htgth and rov  so he was at one of them at one point.

as far as what sebastian bach says, i kind of agree with him. and you can make fun of him that nobody listens to his music but you all know that's not entirely true. skid row are quite popular, maybe his solo work is not so but it's still his work. and maybe that's what you seem to forget, that it's his way of putting food on the table. he gets paid for his music.
i download music for free, of course. and it would be great if i had the money to buy all the albums i like. and if starting tomorrow i wouldn't be able to download music for free that would suck. but i understand where he stands.

and axlin08, would you "get it" if you would work hard for a month and when the paycheck comes in they would be "sorry, your work is being reproduced for free and we don't have any benefit from that so, good luck to you"?

Hey, I agree with you, and Baz. I can understand the frustration.

But bitching and fighting is beyond a lost cause at this point. You either accept the terms, or walk.

And frankly, only like 100,000 units or something was moved of Angel Down worldwide. That's not downloaders - that's NO interest.

There's a fury and discontent in Baz's words imo. I think he has a decision to make. This is the future of the music business. You either adapt, or you move on to something else in your life. I hear him, it's tough. But if there just isn't any money in music anymore, he might want to consider just becoming a full-time actor... but guess what? That gets booted too. Maybe he can go to college and get educated, and find a career like the rest of us.

It ain't going to change. Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Yeh Acekicken is registered here smile Well spotted

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

But bitching and fighting is beyond a lost cause at this point. You either accept the terms, or walk.

And frankly, only like 100,000 units or something was moved of Angel Down worldwide. That's not downloaders - that's NO interest.

There's a fury and discontent in Baz's words imo. I think he has a decision to make. This is the future of the music business. You either adapt, or you move on to something else in your life. I hear him, it's tough. But if there just isn't any money in music anymore, he might want to consider just becoming a full-time actor... but guess what? That gets booted too. Maybe he can go to college and get educated, and find a career like the rest of us.

you are right about the bitching and fighting, it is useless. to me, it didn't look like a rant, more like a way to explain in detail why that certain video was taken down and then generalizing for explanation reasons.

the majority of acts out there find it hard to live out of music these days. unless you're a gigantic band you have trouble even breaking even with disc sales. there's alot of good artists that might leave the music business because they can't make a living out of it.

that's a lack of respect from people towards the artists. people bought albums because it was harder to pirate them 10-20 years ago. now that you can do it at a push of a button, people don't care. it's still stealing and using other people's work to your own benefit.

as i said, i don't own a lot of albums because of the money issue. in fact, the only complete discography i own is gnr's (except cd, but that's not because of price/money). but, from every artist that i really like i have bought at least one original cd/dvd. it's the best i can do at the moment.

and to go a little more off-topic, i would like to make a parallel to the book industry. at the moment people are still buying books because there is not an easy way to pirate books yet. and downloading .pdf books from torrents and printing them is not an easy thing to do. but just wait until someone comes up with a fast way to do it and it's bye-bye book industry too. only the harcore fans and the nostalgics will buy them, just like it's happening with cd's now.

anyway, it all comes down to respect for the musician. the only thing they have left is talking to people and explaining them why it would be nice if they wouldn't download. and some people understand others don't care.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

While I won't say that Bach doesn't have the right to remove it, I do think it's a bad idea. I mean, I think a reaction of "Wow, I'd totally buy this but I'll just listen to it here whenever I want to save the dollar" is much less likely than "Wow, I've never heard that song/band before but that's pretty cool, I'm going to check them out some more."

It's not like it's simple to rip audio from youtube and even less that the sound quality is decent. If you have enough confidence in your material you should leave it up and trust that people stumbling across it will like it enough to seek out a legal, high-quality version.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I think Ace runs the Bach board/website.

As far Bach he overrated here. Poor World of Warcraft nerd.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
supaplex wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

you are right about the bitching and fighting, it is useless. to me, it didn't look like a rant, more like a way to explain in detail why that certain video was taken down and then generalizing for explanation reasons.

the majority of acts out there find it hard to live out of music these days. unless you're a gigantic band you have trouble even breaking even with disc sales. there's alot of good artists that might leave the music business because they can't make a living out of it.

that's a lack of respect from people towards the artists. people bought albums because it was harder to pirate them 10-20 years ago. now that you can do it at a push of a button, people don't care. it's still stealing and using other people's work to your own benefit.

as i said, i don't own a lot of albums because of the money issue. in fact, the only complete discography i own is gnr's (except cd, but that's not because of price/money). but, from every artist that i really like i have bought at least one original cd/dvd. it's the best i can do at the moment.

and to go a little more off-topic, i would like to make a parallel to the book industry. at the moment people are still buying books because there is not an easy way to pirate books yet. and downloading .pdf books from torrents and printing them is not an easy thing to do. but just wait until someone comes up with a fast way to do it and it's bye-bye book industry too. only the harcore fans and the nostalgics will buy them, just like it's happening with cd's now.

anyway, it all comes down to respect for the musician. the only thing they have left is talking to people and explaining them why it would be nice if they wouldn't download. and some people understand others don't care.

Agreed. It's just flat out ridiculous for them to complain, because it's unneccessary anger.

Like I said earlier, 100% of the people who download that stuff illegally, would never buy his albums anyways, one way or the other.

Same reason I don't buy into illegal downloading costing CD sales, despite what Axl thinks. Unless Axl knows his music was so shitty, that it scared customers away, then I guess I can see his argument, but CD is a great album, obviously aimed at the hardcores.

And guess what? The hardcores WILL ALWAYS buy the albums. Whether your a diehard Gunner or a Bach fan. Those diehards will always support you. But the days of the casual I think are over. Judas Priest is a band I have a love/hate relationship with their material, but I was so blown away by the quality of Nostradamus, I had to own it. So I bought it. But there's other material, i'm not willing to pay for (or listen to) for that matter.

Music in some ways has become 'TV for the ears'. There's plenty of movies and TV shows on television we LIKE, but don't love. When they come on, do we watch it? Yes. Do we tape/record it? Yes. Will we buy an official DVD set to own it? Not necessarily. Only the shows/movies we truely love, we'll buy to own. I think music has gone the same way. The internet is a big TV, with free programming, legal or illegal. If we love it, we'll buy it for keeps, forever. If it's just okay, we'll listen, and move on to something else. This costs them money, but it's also just the way the chips have fallen in that industry.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Bach's really cutting his nose off to spite his face here. In principle I understand and agree but not in this case. Whether it's just clips or the whole song on a Youtube vid nobody is going to keep clicking a World of Warcraft video over and over to listen to the song for free, they find out the artist and then obtain the song by whatever means. That's the problem facing Bach and musicians not some kid using the song on a World of Warcraft video FFS!

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Music in some ways has become 'TV for the ears'. There's plenty of movies and TV shows on television we LIKE, but don't love. When they come on, do we watch it? Yes. Do we tape/record it? Yes. Will we buy an official DVD set to own it? Not necessarily. Only the shows/movies we truely love, we'll buy to own. I think music has gone the same way. The internet is a big TV, with free programming, legal or illegal. If we love it, we'll buy it for keeps, forever. If it's just okay, we'll listen, and move on to something else. This costs them money, but it's also just the way the chips have fallen in that industry.

on tv you pay to see the channels that broadcast the movies and the channels pay for those movies. it's not like illegal downloading, i think big_smile

anyway, the music industry fell far behind with technology. they better catch up but i don't see it happening soon

Board footer