You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: SEBASTIAN BACH: 'It's Nobody's Right But Mine To Put My Art On The Int

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah, but WE'RE not paying for it. Advertising revenue is paying for it. Now maybe if some of these music sites, cut the RIAA in on a share of that advertising money, they might have something.

As far as technology goes - no. The ship has already sailed, and they've already pissed off their customers beyond repair. Now people will boot it just out of spite. The RIAA & the artists themselves have procrastinated too long 'complaining' instead of 'accepting'.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Now maybe if some of these music sites, cut the RIAA in on a share of that advertising money, they might have something.

i wonder if they'd be able to settle on splitting the advertising, or will we see youtube and others become napster/pay for membership sometime in the future?
the artists will get diminishing returns anyway. the big money are not in music sales anymore. or maybe they should start making good music again? 16

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I've heard the good music argument, and it's really perception. I love CD, and i'm sure there are plenty of others, same with Death Magnetic, or Black Ice or other albums. The music is still good from some artists. It's just strictly an evolution, one in favor of the consumer, rather than the manufacturer.

And with YouTube, it'd be no different than Napster. The day it closes down and becomes a pay site, is the day someone creates a copycat site to steal it's thunder. That's the problem with the internet. There will always be someone out there, an oppportunist willing to take the risk, and it's an infinite road.

Bach is in a position, like alot of artists. It's a beast that's unstoppable, and cannot be controlled. Like I said earlier, time for a decision. Stay in the business and adapt or close the book and move on to something else in life. The party is over.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

"Ace [referring to another registered member of the Bach message board, Acekicken, who in November 2008 launched a 'countdown' to the release of Sebastian's next studio album], you know that countdown you got goin'? Add about another 10 years onto that, because it's shit like this that make me and a lot of other musicians say, 'Fuck this.'

14 No, only YOU said 'fuck this'. Relevant artists have adapted to the current culture. Artists aren't retiring because their music is on youtube. In fact, many artists themselves post their own music on youtube.

You're just unable to deal with the current musical climate. It takes work and effort in this day and age, and a certain amount of touring.

You also need a decent relationship with your fan base, and considering you bitched at people last year who didn't buy Angel Down instead of thanking those who did shows that you are even unable to do that.

I hope you add 20 years to that countdown.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
Bono wrote:

Bach is an idiot. What he doesn't seem to realize is that without these youtube videos featuring his music nobody will even hear his music. He's so irrelevant he should actually be thanking the guy who's using his material. Bach is getting free promo and there's a chance someone who hears it will like it and then go buy his albums. If they don't like it oh well. But either way NOBODY is buying Bach's albums. The guy probably has a better chance of selling albums by having people upload his music onto youtube.

WRONG. There are plenty of avenues by which you can hear his music Legally

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Musicians refuse to 'get it'.

100% of the people that listen to their 'art' for free... would not go purchase their music one way or the other. If you're a fan, you're still gonna buy the record.

If they're in it for the money, I understand. We all gotta make money. But understand, the landscape has changed. The public has now deemed that music is NO LONGER a monetarily-valuable good. It's either cheap or free.

The artists I love, I still buy the record. I drove across two counties to get Chinese Democracy. But internet has also been beneficial in revealing weaknesses in the purchases. I can honestly say, after seeing Bach live in 2006, I was pumped for Angel Down's release... then I heard it on the internet. I listened to a few tracks, streaming, and turned it off. The shittiness of the music being revealed to me ahead of time, cost them a sale.

Internet downloads have also been beneficial to artists in a way too. Just out of pure example - Buckethead. Here's a fabulous artist, that you're not able to just walk into any store and buy their record, or sample through listening machines. Free downloads, along with internet sales, have led to massive cult following. This is something Trent Reznor understands with NIN, and why I continue to think he's a visionary when it comes to marketing.

You either stay ahead of the curve, and learn to adapt, or you sit back and kick the back of the car seat, screaming like a child. Bach, like other artists, can either adapt, or be left on the porch. If it's not financially viable enough for him enough to do it anymore, than I guess it wasn't art after all - it was a paycheck.

I'm not saying he's wrong. But fighting the YouTube war, and bitching is a total waste of your time, seriously - as a friend i'm saying that, not as an asshole Baz.

I consider myself a huge shinedown fan. I haven't purchased one release ticket piece of merch from them....

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

"Ace [referring to another registered member of the Bach message board, Acekicken, who in November 2008 launched a 'countdown' to the release of Sebastian's next studio album], you know that countdown you got goin'? Add about another 10 years onto that, because it's shit like this that make me and a lot of other musicians say, 'Fuck this.'

14 No, only YOU said 'fuck this'. Relevant artists have adapted to the current culture. Artists aren't retiring because their music is on youtube. In fact, many artists themselves post their own music on youtube.

You're just unable to deal with the current musical climate. It takes work and effort in this day and age, and a certain amount of touring.

You also need a decent relationship with your fan base, and considering you bitched at people last year who didn't buy Angel Down instead of thanking those who did shows that you are even unable to do that.

I hope you add 20 years to that countdown.

I did a spit take when I read that...

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Artists aren't retiring because their music is on youtube. In fact, many artists themselves post their own music on youtube.

you are right in what you're saying.

i just want to add to this tid-bit about youtube. artists, indeed, add their own music to youtube but that's happening on their official channel that has ads on it, ads that bring money to the artist based on the number of views or a contract between youtube and said artist. they don't put their music up for free 19

Board footer