You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Pick one song....

Olorin wrote:

... from Chinese Democracy that you would use as an example to introduce someone curious, but completely ignorant of the Great Chinese Democracy Charade.

Your only allowed one choice and explain why.

I nominate Madagascar.

I think the opening melody is very beautiful and haunting at the same time.  It gives the impression that something special is about to unfold and it draws you in and holds your attention.
The lyrics are quite reflective and sombre but still hold that defiant tone that the mind subconsiously associates with the once mighty Guns N' Roses.
On this song I believe Axl sounds like the Axl of yore (Illusion era anyway) and still has that timber shivering feral howl, but I also like how he never tried to disguise his sometimes creaking voice - he is older now and he is unafraid to reveal that fact on this track. Forgiving him for the odd little waver in his voice in the beginning  pays off big time by the outro of the song as he roars back in to the crescendo with no trace of age or weariness.
The guitars are pretty awesome, if a little drowned in all the effects going on around them, but still have have that sting in the tail that the old songs had in abundance. Despite the best attempts of the many soulful melodies to lighten the atmosphere, this song is heavy. People tend to like their GN'R heavy, if it still has catchy tune of course.

Overall for me this song sounds pretty much like how I imagined 21st century GN'R would sound and everyone I have played it for yet has unanimously declared it pretty fucking awesome.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Not that I would choose this particular song for everyone, but I did play "If The World" for one friend and she absolutely loved it.  So much in fact that I bought her the CD for her birthday, which happened to coincide with the release date.  She promised me a full review, although she seems to have an Axl Rose complex with her promises.  She's reviewed the first 4 songs quite favorably, and obviosly loves the 5th as well.  Haven't gotten the rest of her review, though she did say she really liked about half the album and absolutely hated one song.  Still waiting to find out the half she really didn't enjoy and the one song she hated.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

There Was a Time

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

sorry

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Olorin, if all I heard was Madagascar I would have never bought CD, listened to it, or gone to a GnR concert ever again. I'm consistently shocked to find people liking it the best out of all these tracks.

I think I would play If The World, although it's not strong lyrically, it (along with Sorry) really shows off the new line-up and sounds like something the old band couldn't have done, and I think thats very important.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
faldor wrote:

Not that I would choose this particular song for everyone, but I did play "If The World" for one friend and she absolutely loved it.  So much in fact that I bought her the CD for her birthday, which happened to coincide with the release date.  She promised me a full review, although she seems to have an Axl Rose complex with her promises.  She's reviewed the first 4 songs quite favorably, and obviosly loves the 5th as well.  Haven't gotten the rest of her review, though she did say she really liked about half the album and absolutely hated one song.  Still waiting to find out the half she really didn't enjoy and the one song she hated.

2 months later & she still doesn't comment on it??  Sounds like a generic sympahy review.. "Oh yeah, it's really good. I like half the songs.. the other half I don't like. 1 songs great. 1 song sucks.."  blah blah blah

In otherwords, she doesn't even listen to it. Don't worry, I'm sure she appreciated the thought & that you remembered her birthday, after all, that's what counts.

I'd go with TWAT, it's hit & miss, much like the album. But I think peoples overall opinion of that song represents their overall opinion of the album. Do't want to mislead them, or falsely represent the album as a whole.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

IRS.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Von wrote:

There Was a Time

Agreed. A big move to the electronic zone (compared to the old material), yet it has above-the-top guitar solos and great lyrics. A huge song, I absolutely love it.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

good lord, Pa.

Board footer